iPad 2 owners: what feature(s) would make you upgrade to iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bernard SG, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

iPad 3 is rumored to have doubled-resolution, but personally, that alone is not enough incentive to upgrade, considering my kind of use.
    Siri may be quite tempting... Unfortunately I don't expect it to be available in the region I live at before several years.
    Newer chip (A6?)... not sure it would make substantial difference for me either.
    How about you guys?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Bernard SG thread starter macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

That's so yesterday. Pepper-spray is the thing now. :D

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

An SD card slot or a 128 gig hard drive would probably be the only thing that would tempt me. The current resolution is fine for what I do, the processor is fast enough although I might be tempted for a gig of RAM.

5. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Hi-res screen is my #1 priority, and I can't wait to see the sharpness of iPhone 4 on the iPad display.

On a side note, iPad was the one Apple product I did not own because of the screen, until last week when I won one at a raffle at work... Having used it for past few days, it just makes we want iPad 3 all that much more.

6. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

I'm already sold on it. I don't know the specs, but it's mine!

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

1) Improved resolution without weight or any other sacrifices (except maybe a bit of depth increase, I could live with that... I guess)

2) Wacom digitizer (before you laugh, I have one in my Phone: The Samsung Galaxy note, and it's great!)

3) Ability to mirror main computer. In other words; use iPad as second display while retaining the touch (and/or Wacom) digitizers. Ideally, you could switch back and forth.

4) Improved docking. The connection kit is ok, but this whole area could use a little work.

And of course the obvious ones:

Improved battery, cpu, weight, cost $$$$, lines when we go pick them up (ok i'm dreaming with this :( ), and finally.....

Dump iOS for Android!!!! just kidding :eek:

Of course they won't give me most of these, but fortunately , the iPad is great the way it is now.

you asked right? :D

8. urkel macrumors 68030

Selling iPad 2 for decent price (like I did with the original iPad on Ebay)

I'll be honest. We know nothing about the iPad 3 but if I can sell my $600 iPad 2 for a decent price I'll gladly eat the loss and buy the iPad 3 regardless of what's different. Its definitely going to be a better product and, IMO, selling every year is better than AppleCare.

My wish list features:
    - Less bezel. Keep a border if they want, but let's maximize that surface area
    - Size OPTIONS. I really want a 7" so I'd actually take it out of the house
    - Siri Button (If Siri is to be a worthwhile input device it requires instant access)
    - Better camera. It's a high end product and should have high end components.

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I agree with all of these. I would return to the iPad 3 if there is a 7" for sure. The size of the iPad really hinders my use on the go, and I just resort to using my phone.

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

Nothing, really. I'm totally happy with mine at the moment. I'd like a USB port, but not enough to upgrade at this point. I'm more interested in getting an office pack for iPad.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As nice as a 7" screen will be, I would probably end up with the 10" or whatever it is. I skipped the iPad 2 (I realize this thread is about iPad 2 owners) intentionally. There was nothing that made me think I needed it. I will likely upgrade to the iPad 3 no matter what it is and keep the iPad 1 in my kitchen as a permanent source for cooking, music, and TV while I cook.

I have to admit, playing with a Kindle Fire at 7" ... that is sized real nice but for couch surfing and such, I like the size of the current iPad.

12. soco macrumors 68030

soco

13. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I agree. The size of the iPad is great for couch surfing, but reading in bed, it has been quite uncomfortable to hold.

14. jplusc macrumors 6502a

A hi-res display is #1 for me as well. Once I have that I'm set.

15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

An unexpected windfall that would allow me to trade in my wifi model for 3G.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

1) Double DPI display
    2) Quad Core A6 processor (with 1GB RAM, but not advertised)
    3) Facetime HD front camera, not sure about back.
    4) Maybe some sort of storage capacity change-up, I think iPad 3 could be 32/64/128 and they'll keep the 16GB iPad 2 for $399.

And that's probably about it. A 7" version would be really tough because it would have to be yet another screen size for developers to write for. It would be small enough that iPhone apps would be pasable and not large enough to have completely different UI layouts like on the iPad. It would basically end up as truly being a large iPhone that's a little better for movies and reading and I don't see Apple doing that.

The specs above sound like a pretty big jump at this point, but I think there will be both high DPI displays and quad core processors announced with much fanfare at CES for Android tablets. Apple will still probably beat these tablets to store shelves despite announcing later.

17. matt90036 macrumors regular

I'm very happy with iPad 2 so it would take a lot to persuade me to go with iPad 3.

1) an SD card slot
    2) USB
    3) common file system
    4) quality product at start up and not 6 months later.

I don't care about retina or any other overhyped display. All I care about is NO dead pixels and uniform screen quality.

But honestly I don't think any of those first three requirement will happen anytime soon. We might get a common file system perhaps in iPad 4 or 5 when iPads will be posed to replace laptops. But this depends on how well competition will be doing and also whether apple will go down the HP route of "vision-less" management.

18. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

1) Retina display with absolutely no impact on performance or battery life
    2) Built-in speakers in every corner of the device that face frontwards instead of backwards so you always have stereo without headphones and sound you can hear without cupping
    3) Additional front camera in middle of longer side that takes over in landscape orientation
    4) Compatibility with existing smart covers
    5) Option to turn off tabs in Safari (multi-page was better)
    6) Family data plan on AT&T and iPad 3G option +99$ instead of +129$
    7) More RAM, or better memory management between apps (I actually had to manually remove apps from my app list to get an app to launch yesterday - that's the opposite of just working)
    8) Display that works better in bright light or sunlight scenarios without losing its current awesomeness indoors

19. iDeviceBlogger macrumors newbie

I definitely notice the resolution drop when moving from an iPhone 4 to iPad 2. A retina display would be a great addition in my opinion.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

No need to use iTunes.
    Able to connect to any computer via a USB and drag and drop files scross.
    SD Card slot so I can simply transfer photos from my camera to the iPad
    Physically larger screen
    Stereo front mounted speakers.

21. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

A better camera--I really hope this is being implemented.
    Higher resolution--Would love this
    A faster processor and a better graphic processor. More RAM.
    Size-- would love a 7 inch tab to put in my small purses.

22. Akack macrumors 6502a

23. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Double resolution is the main thing I'm looking for. Everything else is a bonus.

More RAM would be nice.

Upgrades to iWork would be much appreciated. Pages needs to add the layout mode we have in OS X.

Hyperlinks in Pages and Keynote are needed.

I'd like to see an extension of Pages that would allow the creation of interactive documents. I want a document that can have playable movies, charts and movies that can expand full screen, scrollable lists.

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If the screw up the battery life, iPad 3 is a non-starter for me.