iPad 2 Screen Likely to Have 2048x1536 resolution

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2011.

1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Did you not read that article yourself? [​IMG] It has eight cores. Find me a single core GPU, please.

Besides Tegra2 is an entire chipset, not just a GPU.

2. Xero910 macrumors member

Thanks :) I'm sure there are other factors to considering but from that alone it seems unlikely the iPad will be able to power any games beyond the existing resolution. Likely limited any of these retina apps to standard apps ignoring anything graphic intensive.

3. noire anqa macrumors regular

Apple chips are currently based on the ARM Cortex A8, Sandy Bridge is a totally different architecture (x86_64). You can't mix and match pieces of them.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Ever seen these guys?
    [​IMG]

Apple made it clear that multitouch is the future of the Mac with OS X Lion.

5. rjheys macrumors regular

It is doubling the resolution and quadrupling the number of pixels.

If it was quadrupling the resolution then it would be eight times the pixels since a resolution is (some number X some number).

6. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Yeah, and that's the key to the cost "issue". When the first iPad came out there was next to no competition. Now the first wave of tablets are out/coming out.. Apple has to keep up on the hardware end and has to keep the "wow factor" up. The average person doesn't know or care about processors and things like that. The screen really IS the most important feature of an iPad to a normal user. It's the display and the input device.

Even in the worst case scenario... if costs are high, it could even end up being like a "loss leader"... make little or none on the iPad itself, but get it back from the software and then in future iPads as the prices drop.

7. elkhockey8960 macrumors newbie

....This means nothing. Developers are simply preparing their apps for future device releases. OBVIOUSLY, the iPad will receive the retina display, if a simple name of x2 meant anything about the iPad 2, I highly doubt Apple would have leaked it so easily.

...This is Apple people. Not Microsoft. Apple doesn't leak like a sieve.

8. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

this does seem like pretty compelling information as to the iPad 2's increased screen resolution. after reading this and the information here on engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/14/exclusive-the-future-of-the-ipad-2-iphone-5-and-apple-tv-and/

it's not as bad anymore for me to wait for the iPad 2. i was pretty bummed to read the headline that it wouldn't come out until april, but if it's possibly got the new A5 qualcomm chip, an sd card slot, usb spot, AND the huge screen resolution increase, then hell yes! bring on the April release date. i can wait a couple more months for this awesomeness compared to the february rumor. it was also cool to read that the iPad 2 mockups seen at CES were early renditions of the new device. i'm wondering how it will look.

i'm really just hoping for great battery life, a great screen resolution, and a lot lighter and faster!

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

well if all these wait for ipad 2 rumors from inside sources are correct this is it. apple has looked into what others are bringing to the table and they just rocked them. The screen is one of iphones biggest selling points now coming to ipad. apple is putting a lot into their ios devices because the app store brings them a lot of revenue. they keep adding all this to attract more and more developers. if they keep this at $500 this tablet will be a monster. all they need is a faster cpu and this thing will be my computer away from my computer. i cannot wait. lets go apple

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes I did, which is why I excluded Tegra in my argument. Now, go ahead...

11. noire anqa macrumors regular

Yes i've seen those, i own several. The fact however still stands, Macs don't ship with magic trackpads. There are also a hell of a lot of people still using older hardware - do they just not get a slice of the action? Their computers are still very powerful (Previous gen Mac Pro's etc).

Besides, this is a moot point, you're vastly underestimating the amount of work it would take to port those apps to the Mac ..

12. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Do some research, the A5 chip has nothing to do with qualcomm and it is based off the ARM Cortex A9. Qualcomm is a completely different company.

13. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Also, I will love Apple for ever if they give us a transflective screen. Kindle would be SOL.

14. Xero910 macrumors member

The AppleTV could be quite the sweet gaming machine. The thing holding it back is storage and lack of a "controller" although I suppose people can argue an iPhone is good enough. I do remember them patenting a wii-like remote for the AppleTV years ago. Maybe we will see it in the next revision. The storage issue could be avoided if they hosted apps in the cloud. Although I wonder how good those could even be.

15. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

You have not been around here long enough.

Unibody MacBook Pros - Leaked
    iPhone 4 - Leaked
    "Fatty" Nano - Leaked
    Apple TV 2 - Leaked

...the list goes on an on.

16. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

I feel this is likely true. I don't see why people think this resolution is such a problem.

Sure it will require a better GPU. It won't really require all that much CPU though. It's not like more actual CPU-based processing is happening to achieve the higher resolution. It's all the GPU that's pushing the pixels.

I can imagine 3D games will probably just 'switch' the resolution of the 3D rendered component of the graphics down if it isn't powerful enough to render polygons at native res.

But for things like displaying photos, reading ebooks, and basic animations etc, I can't see the new GPU struggling too much.

Remember, resolution is more to do with the amount of frame buffer, not so much the actual 'power' of the GPU. Lots of GPU power is generally needed for 3D, particularly both high resolution and lots of effects. But 2D compositing of text and images could probably almost be done on the current iPad's GPU, if you added a bit more VRAM to the mix.

As for the production of the screens... again... they have the retina phone displays - surely they would just use the same manufacturer? Technically the ipad 2 screens are LOWER density than the iPhone 4 screens, so from a technical point of view, they may actually be easier to produce?

As for power requirements of the screen... they'd probably be about the same. Reduce the light output / power requirements of each pixel by 75%, shrink them, then quadruple the amount of them. Should equate to the same power output / light output? (I'm no expert in this area).

And an iPad having a higher resolution than a desktop or notebook isn't really that game changing. It makes sense for desktops and notebooks to have lower pixel density because notebooks and desktops are used for pixel-perfect content creation. While an ipad is almost completely for content consumption and enjoyment, where highere pixel density can make for a better viewing experience.

Scottie

17. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

This would be awesome. I also think Apple is most likely to double, it makes things so simple. Unlike this Android world where you just don't know what resolution you're running on, must be a developers nightmare. This is one of the reasons why it is great having one company do both the hardware and the OS.

18. apttap macrumors member

apttap

Yes they do.

19. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Apple is "excluding" these people with Lion.
    Multitouch is the Mac's future. It's buy these peripherals or be left behind.

20. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

At 2x the current iPad resolutions those annoying apps that haven't upgraded from the iPhone screen size are going to look quite tiny

Probably easier to list stuff not leaked. Though struggling to think of a recent unleaked product

21. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

There is only one big, and I mean really BIG issue at stake here.

What with all the talk of new gpu chips, dual core CPUs more ram and now retina display.

We could be setting apple up for the biggest fail ever if none of this appears. It's almost looking like a young child expecting Santa to make their wish come true and then being devastated when thing don't appear.

That's my only worry with all this excitement. It's going to make it 100 times worse if none of this true.

22. noire anqa macrumors regular

Alas they don't. I said Mac's don't ship with Magic Trackpads - and they don't. You must manually select one at an extra cost.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

wow. I've used an ipad quite a bit, and it's a bit hard to get used to coming from the iphone 4. this would be great.

24. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Pixels on LCD and IPS displays don't emit the light. That's the backlight's job.

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

+ 100. Thank you for explaining how I feel. ;)