iPad 2 screen quality - is it just me, or...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MoodyM, Mar 26, 2011.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

...is it slightly better than iPad 1? I've used an iPad 1 daily for 6 months, and after 1 day using iPad 2, I think it's ever so slightly better - can't pinpoint if it's brightness, contrast or sharpness, it just seems a little better.

2. mr.suff macrumors regular

mr.suff

Was reading this review and noticed the section named "Slightly Better Display"
    iPad vs iPad 2

The comparison images show that the contrast at least is better.

3. phillyred79 macrumors regular

I think it's the better GPU.. I noticed my "droplet" wallpaper on my iPad 1 was not as sharp as it is on my iPad 2.. The water droplets look just a little crisper and more detailed on the iPad 2.

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I agree that the iPad 2 screen looks better. It is slightly brighter and has a better viewing angle as well as a slightly warmer tone which I personally prefer. Plus despite its brightness it looks considerably darker at the lowest setting which is a big deal for me because I often read in complete darkness. It's still not as good as my iPod Touch which is can go very dark but still much better than my iPad 1.

5. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm sure that, even though the iPad 1 and 2 have similar specs, they probably use different materials than the first gen.

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Pretty much everything about the display is better. Clearly the resolution is the same, and the backlight bleed seems more common, but there is definitely better contrast, brightness control, viewing angle, etc. It's one of the most underrated improvements of the iPad 2. It seems like everyone was so disappointed with the lack of a retina display that they completely ignored the fact that the display is still much better.

7. nordicappeal macrumors regular

nordicappeal

The resolution is the same though so you can use the same iPad Wallpapers... I have just updated a how-to on how to do iPad Wallpapers.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

There's definitely a higher contrast going on. With my old iPad, whenever I rebooted, the screen with the Apple logo was washed out black, whereas the screen on my iPad 2 has way better contrast and it's hard to tell if the screen is on at all, when I fill the screen with a completely black 'photo'.

9. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Yea it's better because the ipad 2 has an IPS display and the ipad 1 does not. The IPS allows for great viewing angles.

10. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Literally swapped my 1 for a 2 just yesterday (64GB 3G original for 64Gb 3G Verizon in White).

Brightness DOES seem improved...was amazed at the battery life my first few hours in, despite a bright screen, and then saw it was only set to half brightness.

Overall I seem to be getting better WIFI range as well with the new one.

11. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Really? I thought the original did...how did I miss that in the iPad 2 rumor/release stuff?!

12. phonk macrumors member

The first iPad uses an IPS display as well.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-FCC-Teardown/2197/1

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Is the wrong answer!

14. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Nonsense, the iPad 1 screen was IPS as well. Side by side my iPad 2 is definitely slightly brighter at a given setting and looks slightly more saturated but that could be just the difference between two manufacturers making the same spec panel.

15. RobNor macrumors regular

Ipad 2 is definitely brighter and appears to be a bit sharper as well

Anyone know if there are many 'yellow' ipad 2 screens?

16. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I guess I was wrong about the iPad 1 not having the IPS display. Maybe I was thinking iPhone 4 to iPhone 3GS.

17. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Or iPhone 4 to iPod touch. Touch's display is not IPS.

18. lentini macrumors regular

Both screens are made by LG

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Screens have varying degrees of quality anyway, so comparing two random iPads isn't going to give you the most accurate data.

20. Itxdjx macrumors member

I believe it's mostly todo wether you had a "cool" or "warm" screen. The iPad was a grab bag and would vary but the later iPad 1 with the warm screens are beautiful, the iPad 2 it seems black gets the "warm" screen and white gets a "cool" screen with seems brighter. I have two iPad one next to each othe and the warm one makes the cool screen look ugly!

I do agree the iPad 2 looks slightly denser my guess, memba I said guess, is it's the glass used on the iPad 2 makes it look nicer!

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Possibly. I stared at my iPad 1 screen for 11 months, with it's colder colour temperature. My white iPad 2's colour temp, is a lot warmer, more natural. That could indeed have something to do with it.

22. lily69 macrumors regular

To me they are almost identical, I hope it had better resolution for better photo viewing, maybe in iPad 3...:D

23. OSMac macrumors 65816

Fonts look terrible on both of them,
    screen is fine, but Apples fonts... meh.

24. Mr.C macrumors 601

The fonts look just fine to me. :confused:

25. OSMac macrumors 65816

Guess you never seen anything else :)

Try using a Galaxy Tab, sharp clear fonts.