Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin

151652-image_500.jpg

Steven let us know about his unique use for the iPad 2 Smart Cover. Try at your own risk.

Article Link: iPad 2 + Smart Cover = Refrigerator Magnet?

Some people are looking for iPad really bad, and some of the ones who got it first are doing this?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Hey, how about this...

Do you think I should actually develop this? Would it sell?

Attachments

• Holder1.jpg
    Holder1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 262
  • Holder2.jpg
    Holder2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Holder3.jpg
    Holder3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 143

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey hunny, check out what I did with your iPa--- OH F*** IT DROPPED.

NVM HUNNY, IM GOING TO GO GET SOME MORE MILK.

SOME VERY VERY EXPENSIVE MILK.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
How much longer before we read Apple is being sued for failure to warn that the Smart Covers are not suitable for attaching an iPad to a refrigerator. :D

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Wow, I'm soooooooooo going to upgrade my iPad 1 now that I know this! :D

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Magnets and Screens

Generally, I like to keep magnets FAR AWAY from my electronic devices, especially those with a screen.

Of course, ipad 2 has been designed to be used with special magnets in specific places. But I'd be concerned to keep all other magnets away from the ipad.

Magnets and screens used to be a real issue back in the day of CRT monitors (can you imagine an iPad with a 10" CRT - Not nice !?!?!?) - LCD screens have no issues with magnets (at least not the relatively low power magnets used here) - CRTs used to have big coils in the back that deflect a scanning electron beam to the phosphors on the front of the tube. LCD technology is NOTHING like this so Magnets do not have the same effect on LCDs.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
iPad 2 + Smart Cover = Dumb Refrigerator Magnet

iPad 2 + Smart Cover = Dumb Refrigerator Magnet

Seriously, would you really hang a valuable device using magnets on the topside of the device only. I hope they have an understanding insurance company!!

When Steve Jobs joked about using screws to attach the smart cover, maybe they should have had an option for a screwed version for people like this.

Phil

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Hey, how about this...

Do you think I should actually develop this? Would it sell?

It looks good to me, but personally, having a piece of equipment that cost hundreds of dollars attached to a moving part such as a fridge door is just too risky for me. I would much rather have it attached to a stationary object, like a wall.

I would rather use some velcro. Stick it to the wall, then stick the other pieces to the back of the iPad. There's that one video of somebody doing just that with their 1st Gen iPad, that I saw on Apple's website prior to the iPad2 announcement, and in it they were using Velcro all over the place ... car dash, walls in several rooms in the house, etc. I'm not sure if Apple still has the video up on their site, but it shouldn't be too hard to find with Google.

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Remember a couple of years ago when people started imagining microwave and refrigerator with computer/internet. I think Apple might had accidentally discovered a solution. all we need is gorilla glue on the back of the iPad and it's done. We have a refrigerator that has amazing computing power. Throw in AllRecipe app, and you'll never have to depend on your mom again. :D

Kulman

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

L. O. L.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Uhm... Actually, this isn't so far fetched. I have super magnets that will hold _me_ on the fridge. I mounted an old PowerBook who's hinge was broken such that it laid flat to the fridge. Kind of cool but the typing on it was difficult. An iPad would be much better. I wanted it for just this, recipes, a picture frame, quick web browsing, music and radio, etc.

Don't diss the power of the modern super magnets. Some will hold hundreds of pounds each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.