iPad 2: Still too damn heavy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can't hold the iPad 2 in 1 hand while you are using the screen with your other hand for minutes.

How do you have to use an iPad? On your lap or on the table? If so, i got a MBP for that.

2. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

Get some muscles bro, you're a ***** if you can't hold iPad 2 in your hand for at least an hour. I do it all the time.

3. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thing is, i got muscles :p

I was using the iPad 2 in the Apple store for 10 minutes holding it in 1 hand while I was operating the machine with my other, my hand started to get sore.

I'm hardly a weak person by any standards since I go to the gym :p

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Ask for a refund. Immediately. Because it obviously isn't working.

5. taipan61 macrumors 6502

seriously if you can't hold something that weighs less than 1 1/2 lbs then you should be using a MBA on a desktop or something, i'm in my 6th decade on this planet, the closest i get near a gym anymore is driving by, have had broken arms and hands and this thing is still as light as a feather, hell a "fosters" beer can weighs more

but if you don't like it don't get it, simple as that:cool:

6. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Probably I'll buy the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

Am i seriously the only one who finds it uncomfortable to hold it in 1 hand?

7. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

Ohh, bro, you've got it all wrong.
    Gym muscles ren't real muscles, they are showoff muscles and nothimg more. Real muscles are developed with hard phyisical work, such as farming or wood harvesting or mine digging....

Those muscles would let you win in a bar fight over the lost iPhone prototype, not gym one. Trust me on that, Ive been in several fights with "look at my gym muscles" guys, and to be honest, my muscles don't really stand out by the looks, but they had no chance beating me.

Well that's what I call offtopic.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I would rethink that. It's rumored to be bigger. ;)

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

lol kinda true

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I find the smart cover makes it far easier to hold the iPad one handed.

12. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Are you serious?

----------

I would say that most people hold it with 2 hands, even though it really is plenty light enough to hold in 1 hand.

13. Carouser macrumors 65816

Seriously?

How do you read books? Hold it that way.

Nobody's forced a way of using it on you, don't you just instinctively find a more comfortable position to be in?

It has nothing to do with how heavy it is. Try holding your arms straight out without any support and manipulating things for any length of time, they'll feel like weights pretty quickly.

I picture someone gripping it in one hand and jabbing at it with the other, with their arms out stock-straight, fighting gravity and their awkward position while the iPad gradually wins that battle, with beads of sweat appearing on the poor user's forehead, who doesn't have the sense to just change how they are manipulating the thing.

14. crazycap macrumors member

You're not the only one, but I hardly wanna admit it ;P

I feel luke I need some kinda therapy after holding it for more than an hour since my hands would start shaking...

15. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Time to stop picking on the OP. The iPad isn't designed to be held/used like a smartphone. It can be used in a one-handed fashion for a short time, but no matter how muscle bound one is, it's not designed to be used for an extended period in that fashion. Apparently, he uses his muscles to lug around his MBP. Perfectly reasonable.

What the iPad IS designed for is to be easy and convenient to carry; to be used away from a power outlet for a full day; and to be placed on just about any small surface (including a tray table in the middle seat in coach). None of those features is a strong suit of the MBP (or almost any laptop.)

On the other hand, it is also designed to provide a more usable display than a smartphone (or an iPod Touch.) One handed use of those devices is their strong suit. Web browsing, email management, reading, and watching are not.

16. applefan289 macrumors 68000

The iPad 1 is heavier than the iPad 2, and I don't have a problem with it (it actually feels more solid, in my opinion).

17. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Floating bones is all about the concert of tensions in our musculoskeletal system. While we can hold part of our body rigid and at tension for an hour, it is decidedly non-optimal. @Carouser points to part of the solution: holding the iPad close to your body will lower the stress on your hand, arm, shoulder, upper torso, ... actually pretty much everything! Using gravity as much as possible instead of your grip is a good idea, too. Someone mentioned using the smart cover rolled up in a triangle to hold the device -- another excellent idea.

I think some company sells some clips for the corners of the iPad with crisscross elastic bands: you just slip your hand between the back of the case and the elastic bands. All of your hand muscles can stay relaxed. Brilliant. Mindful movement is all about using the minimal amount of aggregate structural tension to stand, move, and do work.

The one most people miss: train yourself to shift off which side is holding the iPad. Every few minutes, shift the computer to your other hand. This will be incredibly difficult at first. It may takes weeks before feeling comfortable shifting and many more weeks before it becomes automatic. If you are a heavy iPad user, doing this one thing can have a huge impact on your long-term structural health.

18. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The iPad, as well as every other larger tablet suffer the same problem: Ergonomics. Plates, tablets, anything else close to the shape and weight of an ipad are best held with two hands. One handed isn't hard, unless you're repeatedly pressing down (even lightly) on the outboard end with the other hand. Of course that's what we do with tablet PCs.

Sony's new tablet has tried to address some of that problem by shifting the center of gravity toward the holding hand. I've got one ordered that should show up tomorrow. I'll know quickly if the strategy helps at all.

Personally I think these tablets need a handle protruding from the center back. Balance the weight over the supporting hand, while aligning how it is gripped better with how our hands naturally want to grip.

19. mystik610 macrumors regular

I do a lot of reading on my iPad, and typically hold the device with one hand for extended periods of time. It's one thing to be able to life heavy, but you guys need to work on your stabilizer muscles! :D

20. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

yep it needs to lose weight. the samsung galaxy tab 10.1 is so thin and lite!

21. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

You are holding it wrong.

Thank you, good night.

22. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

I saw this one coming :)

23. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

exactly. Ergonomics. I was talking to someone at apple who said that apple looked into a touch screen iMac but found that furring tests people had issues with there rotator cups (shoulders) btw while i was at apple two ew employees where welcomed to the "team"

24. err404 macrumors 68020

I rest the iPad across my forearm with my hand wrapping around the back.

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

If you want it lighter, it will have to be smaller. :)

I am game for a smaller lighter iPad