Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
mono speakers are a joke

Tiny speakers in these mobile devices aren't to be taken seriously. If you seriously want stereo sound, connect via wire or wireless to quality speakers or use headphones. Any device manufacturer that tries to make a big deal out of little stereo speakers is wasting resources and not focusing on the proper design features.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
Originally Posted by Full of Win
Given glue has a tendency to become weaker at higher temperatures, I wonder how long these will hold up to years of high temperatures?

Who cares? The ipad is designed to be obsolete and disposable after 1 year.
Apple doesn't want you to keep it and deprive them of your money for the next version.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Tiny speakers in these mobile devices aren't to be taken seriously. If you seriously want stereo sound, connect via wire or wireless to quality speakers or use headphones. Any device manufacturer that tries to make a big deal out of little stereo speakers is wasting resources and not focusing on the proper design features.

Why complain about Stereo, I want 7.1 Surround!!! :p

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Glue and breaking clips? It is a throwaway product obviously. It evidently works very nicely, and it is cheap to manufacture, but glue and breaking clips are evil.

Throwaway product? You seriously didn't think the iPad was designed to be repaired, did you? Unless you were trying to present an argument, I don't see how anyone would expect a malfunctioning iPad to be repaired instead of being replaced.

Yes the iPad, along with iPhones, iPods, and tons of other small electronic devices, are throwaway products.

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Throwaway product? You seriously didn't think the iPad was designed to be repaired, did you? Unless you were trying to present an argument, I don't see how anyone would expect a malfunctioning iPad to be repaired instead of being replaced.

Yes the iPad, along with iPhones, iPods, and tons of other small electronic devices, are throwaway products.

Why shouldn't it be repairable? During the warranty period, sure, it's easy enough to just get a replacement. But after that, it may very well be cheaper and easier to just repair a small component rather than replacing the entire unit.

8-Bits

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
USA

A $500 - $830 through away product by design, that is not acceptable to me.

And where will Apple get all their iPad 2 refurbs from; or what will the resale value be for owners 12-24 months from now?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

I think Palm V's, a very popular tablet computer which sold in similar volumes of millions of units (and nearly the same price: $450 for the base model), and was similarly glued together, were typically kept in service for more like 2 years. And a Palm V lasted longer than that, mine for nearly 5 years before the battery life faded, but was doubly surpassed by newer products by that time.

Last edited:

Tonepoet

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010

I'm afraid I don't follow the logic of stereo speakers detracting from design, unless you can show what it detracts from. The Nintendo DS had stereo speakers 7 years ago at a launch price point of $150 in a much smaller form factor and had a very successful design for a device of the time. Also, why increase the size of the speaker grill unless you want to leave the impression of a bigger speaker for better sound? Also, don't forget that the iPad 2 is the most recent descendant of in the of iPod, so it has a musical basis. I'd be somewhat worried if they hadn't really improved the speakers here, even as sick as I am for paying for more and more speakers I probably do not need.

That having been said:

samab said:
SilianRail said:
mono speakers are a joke
why did they put TWO speakers in the SAME corner?

Um, guys, where are they going to put left and right speakers in a device that rotates? I suppose they could make three speakers and use the gyroscope to tell it which pair to use and how, however judging from my experience with my friend's iPad, the gyroscope tech is too finicky to properly orient for the purpose.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
IMO, The iPad 2 will have no resale value in 12-24 months which makes it a poor tablet choice today.

a terrible, backwards way of looking at a tablet purchase. no, you buy it for the value it adds to your life or business *today*. the re-sale of old tech junk is merely icing.

a 12-month old, 64gb ipad is quoted at $400 on gazelle.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple doesn't want you to keep it and deprive them of your money for the next version.

you must be new. youll find that most mac products last many, many years. from ipods to notebooks to desktops to cell phones...ive had the same gear for a long time. no reason to believe that will be any difference w/ ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.