iPad 2 to iPad 3. Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by act1980, Mar 21, 2012.

1. act1980 macrumors regular

act1980

Hi everyone!

I currently have the iPad 2 and I really love it. I checked out the iPad 3 and the screen does look amazing. This does seem to me the main upgrade though and I'm not sure if I can justify upgrading just for this?

Thoughts?:)

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The newest iPad is clearly a significant improvement over the 2. However, time marches on and eventually a new model will be out next year that everyone will rave about.

I'd say you be better to upgrade every two years.

3. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

If you're planning to sell your iPad 2 to fund the new one, then I'd say go forward since you'll spend relatively little, probably around $150 for the same size/model.

If you're not going to get anything for your iPad 2 (such as giving it to someone) and having to spend the full ~$500, then I'd say it might not be worth it since the 2 will still serve you really well.

The screen on the new iPad is a night and day difference with the previous model, but my opinion is that they both have the same functionality, for the most part. Obviously, everything will be clearer on the new one but it's not like you can't read the same books, play the same games, browse the same web, etc with the iPad 2.

4. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Before the iPad 3 came out (yes, I call it 3) I would have said absolutely. Now that I have the 3 I can see things a little differently. I'd give it a qualified yes. The screen is definitely much better. The processor change and memory change are noticeable but not as dramatic as I was expecting. I had a minor let down after upgrading but I'm over it.

I'm happy I upgraded but I can see why someone with an iPad 2 would have second thoughts. I had an iPad 1, too, and from that it's a no-brainer.

5. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Worth the upgrade for simply the new screen alone. :D

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I LOVE my new iPad. Totally worth upgrading, for me. The older I get, the worse my eyes get, and this new screen really helps.

I handed my 2 down to my daughter, and we are selling her old 1 (that used to be mine).

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

For me it's been a bit of a hard decision. My iPad 2 was having a lot of low memory crashes but 5.1 solved most of them. It still crashes once or twice a day so the memory upgrade on the new iPad is great.

On the other hand I can really tell the difference between weight if the two. I know it doesn't sound like much but I can tell and prefer the iPad 2.

The screen is much nicer but for me it's not worth the upgrade.

So, I decided to keep my new iPad mostly because I also went from 32GB to 64GB and the LTE is absolutely wonderful.

Everyone has their own priorities. If you are considering it I suggest you go to the store and look at one in person. For many the display makes it worthwhile, for others, like me, my usage needs were the determining factor.

8. number84 macrumors 6502

I upgraded but after using the iPad 3 for a few days now I don't see it as a necessity. Yes the screen is very nice though.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Its a personal choice.

I had a ipad 1, so a jump to 3 was worth it.

If I had an Ipad 2, I would not upgrade. Too much money for a nice screen. Unless you got money to burn, wait till the next one.

Also see how things turn out with the issues that are being raised with the new one. Ipad 2 is rock solid.

10. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

This. I feel the same way that the new screen is great but not a necessity.

The trend on this forum seems to be to downvote anyone that doesn't praise the new screen as Jesus' second coming and I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference, it's just that the iPad 1 & 2 screens were really good already.

The decision should mostly be considered on a financial perspective. If you have the funds to upgrade, then go for it. If you're tight on money and you already have an iPad 2, then your limited funds can be more wisely spent elsewhere.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have an iPad 2 and would I upgrade sure, but it would be so my wife can have my 2. I'm looking to upgrade in the next few weeks. I was going to upgrade to just the WIFI only new iPad, but I want AT&T LTE.

12. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

I get a chuckle everytime I see someone post that going from the original iPad to the new iPad is a no-brainer or huge improvement.

We have the original iPad and iPad2 in our home on a coffee table for anyone to use.
    I have never seen anyone in our family or friends fighting over the iPad2.
    They just grab which ever is closer or on top and use it.

The screen is the same.
    Performance on most games are about the same.
    There is sometimes a 1-2 second delay when loading certain applications on the original iPad. No big deal because once it's loaded, they are close to equal on usage of the application/game.

In most cases, the biggest lag is when web browsing and waiting for servers to send the page.

*The iPad2 camera is useless and requires that you have a very steady hand or the picture comes out burrly when viewed at 100%.

13. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

It truly is a personal decision. But like people with the iphone 4 when the 4s came out, unless you just had to have Siri, there was no real emergency to upgrade. I really believe Apple designs their products for a 2 year cycle for the person to have a real reason to upgrade. Yes, the screen is nice, but all the future ipad's will have some form of this new screen so it never ends. There will always be a "New iPad" coming.

Me personally, I would wait. This was my first iPad so it was a no brainer. But I will probably keep it for 2 years.

14. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I upgraded for LTE and am really glad that I did. The screen is just a wonderful bonus.

I am not sure that I would have upgraded if I had a WIFI version.

15. Tibits macrumors regular

I am a chronic upgrader and early adopter. I didn't even consider upgrading from I2 to I3.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Why exactly? The screen on the 1 and 2 is exactly the same. Sure, the 2 is faster, but not enough to say that going from 1 to 3 is a no brain decision. Unless your OG ipad is having major performance issues, there is not much difference between the 1 and 2. So to say that upgrading from 1 to 3 is a no-brainer, but from a 2 to 3 isn't worth it, is simply wrong.

17. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Depends on your usage and your disposable income... It's too late to flip your iPad 2 to get a decent amount now, especially with the price drop already putting you back by 100 (if you have the 16gb model)

The screen looks amazing and the extra RAM really helps for my uses. I only bought my iPad 2 16gb in December (for $459 total) and now gave it to my step daughter as an EXTREMELY early B-day/Xmas present because selling it at this point would result in a huge loss for me. Rather let a loved one who would appreciate it have it than lose 50-100 bucks of the 459 I spent 4 months ago.

But anyway I went with the iPad 3 VZW 4G, cause I'm clearly a gadget addict, but for me, having 4G access and the new Retina Display was well worth it! I love reading, surfing the web on my iPad and now that I don't have Sprint with unlimited internet/tether on my phone I sometimes need to have access outside of the house.

But also on the flip side... if you're happy with your iPad 2 (don't mind reading on iPad 2 display, no need for 4G, not willing to blow through your hard earned money to line the golden pockets of Apple) don't update... you might as well wait for the next one and save yourself a few bucks.

18. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

Naw! iPad 4!!!

I have iPad 2 and like to think that I am a practical consumer. Not into nitty gritty like inspecting each pixel, etc :D
    With that said, I don't thin it's worth the upgrade for now, as I can still surf the net, play the same games, etc.

I wouldn't mind buying iPad 3 if it was the new specs plus memory upgraded up to 128GB!!! :cool:

I do think that iPad 3 is hyped up for nothing. (I could justify ipad 2 hype though).

As they say, different strokes for different folks ;)

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

As and iPad 2 owner, here's my $.02.....

There are limited situations/uses where the new iPad will be worth it.

1) Gaming - users that expect to utilize the new graphics by playing 3D games on it will definitely get some value out of the new processor
    2) Reading - users that read a lot of books will see improvement in the text
    3) Photography - users that work with a lot of photos, possibly editing on the run will see improvement in color reproduction

Otherwise, I honestly don't feel it's a necessary upgrade for everyone. If you've been holding on to an iPad 1 for a while....sure, go for it. But if you have an iPad 2, I would consider carefully if you feel that you'd use it for any of the purposes above. I'm still on the fence about mine.

20. Beardy man macrumors regular

+1

I'm loving the better text for iBooks mainly (I read at night with nite-mode enabled and quite a small font - iPad 2 was on the edge of pixellating. "new" iPad is razor sharp). Images are better colour balance and saturation.

As my wife never seems to let go of "her" iPad2, the only way I could get a look in was to get my own. On that basis the new iPad is worth it (and if you get a good price for your "2") but as a daily difference, not so much.

I'd be happy with "2" and might even advice people who lust want a handy coffee table web browser to grab a bargain "2".

21. boxster99t macrumors member

FWIW, I have 8 days remaining to decide (e.g., I own an iPad 2 and bought two new iPads on 3/16) before the 14 day return period runs out. I haven't decided, but I am very close to returning the two new iPads.

As I posted in other threads relating just to the new screen, the difference to my eyes is subtle at best; I originally bought thinking the sole decision would be which one of the two to keep (AT&T or the Verizon 4 G LTE iPad). Now, I'm not sure either is a keeper because the new screen does not, to my eyes, look dramatically better for what I do most often, which is read.

I can spot the differences if I look for them. But if I just read/watch video without trying to "see" great differences, it is very nearly a draw. Thus, I am leaning toward "not worth the switch".

If, however, you are blown away by the new screen, 4 G LTE (which is very fast, compared to 3 G), camera, and dictation, your answer may be different.

22. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I'm not disappointed.

23. mouthster macrumors regular

Was it worth upgrading from SD to HD? That's how I view it.

24. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

And don't forget the increased 4G/LTE speed.