iPad 2: Ugly

Discussion in 'iPad' started by samiznaetekto, Mar 12, 2011.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Checked out iPad 2 at the local Best Buy in New York. They have one white iPad on display. There's no crowd waiting to put their hand on it, just random shoppers. Half of the time, it sits there lonely.

Here are my impressions:

- Front looks like cheap LCD picture frame. You know, that $20-50 variety. Glass has a bezel on edges which refracts the light and makes it look like a picture frame even more.

- It's still heavy (I have Classic iPad). A bit more comfortable to hold, but still tiring.

- Back design looks cheap. Very simplistic shape. If you asked a beginner designer to design something flat with non-square edges, that's what he'll come up with. Meh.

- Just a bit faster, but the speed doesn't "jump" at you, because the typical tasks - switching to Home screen or between apps - takes the same time. Not worth it for users who just casually browse the web, check email, weather, etc.

- Dock connector, when plugged in, looks very ugly, very un-Apple, from the back - you can see piece of metal plug. Yikes! Ugly ugly ugly.

- Cameras suck. Photo Booth? You gotta be kidding to tout it as a great feature. Took 10s of interest, next! Meh.

- Smart Cover (was not available for hands-on, but handled it in its carton case) seems to be heavy.

- Screen looks less sharp compared to Classic iPad.

Overall, for owners of Classic iPad, iPad 2 is not worth the money.

Just IMHO. :D

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

MHO: iPad 2 is awesome, no regrets.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I agree with you completely. From the back, you can see all the controls and buttons and dock connector too. It makes it look extremely busy.

Pales in comparison to the original design wise.

Looks like a huge iPod touch. Unimaginative.

4. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

TC, when you made this thread was the goal to think of as many possible troll comments that you could include in a single post?

IMHO, I think it was. :D

5. celticpride678

And here's my rebuttal:

1. The iPad 2 is lighter than the original iPad so I don't know where you're getting that.

2. Unless you're a beginning designer, don't speak for them. All Apple products are "simplistic."

3. You probably didn't use the device enough to see the speed difference but there is certainly one.

4. Nearly every Apple device that has tapered edges shows a piece of the dock connector on the other side. Unless you have a better idea, live with it.

5. Photo Booth might not be a major feature for you, but it may for somebody else.

6. The iPad 2 was not designed to replace your digital camera

7. Smart Covers barely add any weight and I don't know how you can claim they do without seeing one in person.

8. The display of the iPad 2 is identical to the first iPad.

Meh.

And what's wrong with that?

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Because it's unimaginative, that's what's wrong with it. Maybe you're into mediocrity, but not everyone is.

7. celticpride678

It might be for you, but not for others.

8. orikie macrumors newbie

I actually like the original iPad's design better. There a point it just feels too thin...and cheap. I wish the iPad 1 can have all the internal stuff from iPad 2 :(

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That's right.

Doesn't change the fact that every time I look at the speaker grills on the iPad 2, it makes me cringe. :confused:

10. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I agree with OP. if you're a casual web browser, it's especially not worth it. I personally like the sold, hefty feel of the original. I don't want a light, cheapy, plasticy feeling iPad. The original never came across as too uncomfortably heavy at all.

11. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

You forgot to rebut two more points. :D

12. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I'd love to see a side-by-side of the iPod touch (current gen) and the iPad 2, from the back.

13. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

My impressions exactly. Tried to bend and twist iPad 2 - it seems to be quite flimsy, I was afraid to break the glass. Came home, tried the same with the Classic iPad. No comparison. Built like a rock.

14. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Were you able to bend and twist the iPad 2.. No.... LOL Its not flimsy...

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Here you go, all buttons-and-switches-and-connectors-and-speakers galore.

Attached Files:

16. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

Troll.

"It's just not worth it!"

Worth what? It's the same price as the original. It's A bit thinner, a little bit lighter, is a lot faster, and has cameras.

If you mean it's not worth buying one when you already have one, then sure. The original design is just fine and I still like it plenty. Tons. But I sold mine, plus cases, for what I put into it. So for me, my upgrade fee was the cost of the case and tax. For that cost, it was more than worth it.

17. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

The iPad 2 is more tightly packed than the iPad 1, which actually has a lot more "free space" inside, making it more hollow.

It sounds like you're disappointed you're not buying, and trying to come up with excuses to bash it.

18. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, that's what I meant (it should be clear from the original post to anyone able to read). I don't care about perspective on iPad 2 from the point of view of someone who has never had an iPad, because I'm not in that position. :D

19. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Lol give it a rest. I have both, the iPad screen is not worse and smart cover heavy? Lighter than the apple cover

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm used to that style from my MBP, but regardless I don see it during normal usage.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's only more "tightly packed" because of the flat back. If it weren't it'd be the same as the original.

The iPad 2's LCD is 2.4 mm vs iPad's 3.2 mm. The iPad 2's glass is 0.62 mm vs iPad's 0.85 mm.

The iPad 2 has lesser material and will therefore feel cheaper and be less durable. Not a very good trade-off when we're talking about something that's basically one giant screen.

22. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

No, I'm not disappointed. I'm actually HAPPY that I overcame my "upgrade itch" that existed before I actually held iPad 2 in my hand.

Just sharing my impressions which might be useful for other Classic iPad owners who have the said upgrade itch. :D

23. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

That doesn't negate the fact that the iPad 2 is more tightly packed, it's a new design.

:confused:

I completely disagree with your post. Having heft and substance does not make something feel more expensive. Packing so much into something so thin, yet solid, feels expensive. You can't twist this thing with your hands and expect the screen to crack, that's just ludicrous.

24. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Hey guys, stop being so defensive when you see another opinion. And stop with the "troll" thing just because you don't like other thoughts expressed. That's why this place is called a "forum".

If you like your iPad2, then be happy. But don't expect everyone to be with you on that, and expect some critiques and discussions with opposing opinions.

25. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for your support. I'm an exact opposite of troll, that is, I'm an Apple Fanboy. :D I believe I own more Apple products than an average MacRumorist, and love them a lot and use every day. But after my brief encounter with iPad 2, I think it's worth holding on to your Classic iPad until Retina iPad comes out.