Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uzit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Thought I start a thread for the UK folks to discuss pre-orders/in store buying!

I will hopefully be pre ordering because I am not keen on standing in line and end up with no iPad! You can sign up here for notifications and hopefully we can start pre ordering soon! :D

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
The Apple Stores in London will be a nightmare so I may just pop round the corner to the big Curry's/PC world store and buy it from there on launch day.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Its being released the day after my birthday and I've already got the day booked off for a long weekend. I've been holding off for ipad 2 and if I go for it then I'd hopefully pre-order and collect. Never been to an apple store on launch day (my iphone 4 came through the mail) and so would be interested to see what its like but don't fancy queueing without being guarenteed of one.

Having said all that, I am very tempted by the ipad 1 refurb prices so may just go for that. I've always been unsure whether I can actually justify the cost of an ipad when I own a macbook and an iphone so now with the ipad 1 prices being sooo much cheaper I'm kind of thinking of going that way.... hmmm decisions, decisions!

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
That's where my brother bought the first iPad on launch day, walked into the store 45 minutes after it opened and picked one up. So no need for the good luck thanks.

Must be a magic secret store. They didn't stock them for two weeks after launch.

Terrified

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Must be a magic secret store. They didn't stock them for two weeks after launch.

This definitely isn't true.

Several people I know bought one on launch day at the PC World in North Tynside. No queues, no shortage of stock. Walked in, picked up up, walked out.

One of my colleagues bought one at the same place, brought it into work and activated it on his work PC.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007

This definitely isn't true.

Several people I know bought one on launch day at the PC World in North Tynside. No queues, no shortage of stock. Walked in, picked up up, walked out.

One of my colleagues bought one at the same place, brought it into work and activated it on his work PC.

@The Great Boony... oops. :rolleyes:

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
You'll be able to buy these anywhere in the UK on launch day. I doubt they'll sell out. This is not a very exciting product update for consumers.

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
You'll be able to buy these anywhere in the UK on launch day. I doubt they'll sell out. This is not a very exciting product update for consumers.
Precisely. I think UK consumers are a bit wiser when it comes to upgrading a piece of tech, especially in this economy, dishing out £429 means problems for most people.

Personally I find it stupid how the iPad's first run was praised to its entirety, now Apple make it seem like a shadow of the past. It's a pretty nifty product, and for £329, it's reasonably priced.

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
Im in Florida on March 11th - returning to the UK on Saturday the 12th!!!

I think my chances of actually being able to get hold of one are slim though.

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
I'll hopefully be getting a 32GB 3G on the 26th, I get paid on the 25th woo. And I can use my John Lewis 12% discount, sweeet.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
I was going to wait until I'm in the US later in the year but as I have launch day booked off already as holiday, I may be tempted.

I'm hoping the iPad 2 pricing wil reflect the better exchange rate too.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
They did?

Hmmm wasn't aware of that.

How did it work?

EDIT:

You mean go in store and ask to be put on the waiting list? Yes, they did do that for the iPhone.

I'm pretty sure you could go online, and reserve one for store pick up? In fact I'm almost 100% sure, but could someone confirm?

Also, were the queues outside Regent Street for pre-reserved collections or walk-in customers?

nataliamck

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I was going to wait until I'm in the US later in the year but as I have launch day booked off already as holiday, I may be tempted.

I'm hoping the iPad 2 pricing wil reflect the better exchange rate too.

What's the situation for buying one from the US? I'm heading to Vegas in May and was going to wait until then but is there any sort of lock on it that will not allow me to use it over here?

I assume you can only buy Wifi version.

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I'll hopefully be getting a 32GB 3G on the 26th, I get paid on the 25th woo. And I can use my John Lewis 12% discount, sweeet.

I was thinking of using the same discount :p Are you sure they'll have them at launch? They didn't have the 4th-gen iPod touch until a few weeks after the pre-orders direct from apple were delivered..

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I walked in to the White City Apple store on the day of launch last year & there were no queues and all models were in stock. Asked for one, paid for it and walked out of the store in about 5 minutes. I'll probably do the same this year unless the Apple site can promise pre-order deliveries that will be delivered on the day of launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.