iPad 2 UK Thread

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I'll be buying a 16GB wifi (if I can sell my mixer...any pro audio guys?!).
I'm in Leeds so have a KRCS nearby, but am talking with my college/apple about educational deals - does not look good.

Can't wait to get it - I won't be buying a macbook after all! :apple:

sphoenix

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
but am talking with my college/apple about educational deals - does not look good.
Yeh, it would be great if students got at least £50 off or something.

Best plan is to go for the 1st-gen with 4.3 features and hold out until iPad 3! ;)

gav.moore

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Chester, UK
Hi,

Can someone just explain the UK pricing for me. I understand Apple said that the price of the iPad 2 will stay the same as iPad 1 but has the iPad 1 price changed recently? Will it be the same as current price then?

I am looking to get the 64GB wi-fi + 3G version.

thanks

Gav

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Coventry, UK
Hi,

Can someone just explain the UK pricing for me. I understand Apple said that the price of the iPad 2 will stay the same as iPad 1 but has the iPad 1 price changed recently? Will it be the same as current price then?

I am looking to get the 64GB wi-fi + 3G version.

thanks

Gav
If you're on about when the VAT went up, then I'm sure. Hopefully they will go back to the 429, 499 & 599 for the Wi-Fi versions rather than the 439, 510 and 610 when the VAT was increased. We'll just have to wait and see.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
If you're on about when the VAT went up, then I'm sure. Hopefully they will go back to the 429, 499 & 599 for the Wi-Fi versions rather than the 439, 510 and 610 when the VAT was increased. We'll just have to wait and see.
Well when they updated the new MBP they put the price back to the pre-VAT increase so I reckon they'll do the same with the new iPad.

DukeOfHunslet

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Hunslet, England
Why not?

Apple did say 25th for UK.

Launch activity costs money.

Apple will have a sales threshold in the US at which it will hold off the global launch until sales are under that threshold.

Why spend money on a launch when you can sell every iPad you have without spending a penny more on promo material?

It could still launch on the 25th - only if US sales have reduced.

Remember that Apple have said the power products are most important to them because they make the most profit. The iPad is THE top power product they have.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
I am personally not expecting them to be in the UK on the 25th March.

I'll still be getting one, waited long enough. No Apple store in Leeds - odd that. Biggest financial centre outside London city and no Apple store.

I was at our technology conference in Manchester yesterday (I work for a certain oxygenated phone network) despite having a '3gb for a tenner' staff deal I only saw 3 all day. Most people I know are waiting for the upgrade.

I think we need to hear about a firm supply and launch day before deciding if I'm queuing for one or clicking for it...
Leeds is a dump full of people with six fingers

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
With sales tax, not worth the hassle and lack of useful warranty.

Good luck with what, walking into a store on the afternoon of launch and walking out with one in hand? :rolleyes:
Wrong as usual Gryzor... You should see a doctor about your eyes - they seem to roll a lot!

I buy all my apple gear in the US and live in the UK. Always works out cheaper (including sales tax). Never, ever had any problems with warranty or after sales service if you approach it the correct way.

I'm in Florida March 11th so fingers crossed I'll be returning on the 12th with an Ipad 2 and a tasty little saving that makes it all that much sweeter.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
It could still launch on the 25th - only if US sales have reduced.
It will launch on the 25th. They're clearly confident enough of stock sales to make a big announcement about that.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
So if I buy an iPad from the US to use in the UK, would I buy the AT&T version? (The only version that existed before).

I had an iPad1 from the US and used it on Three and it worked fine.

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
So if I buy an iPad from the US to use in the UK, would I buy the AT&T version? (The only version that existed before).

I had an iPad1 from the US and used it on Three and it worked fine.
Yes you need to make sure its the gsm version of the 3g line up. If youre buying wifi only you dont need to worry.

You getting early servings as well then?

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Did anyone buy one from the Birmingham or Solihull Apple store last year on launch? Did they sell out quick?
I picked up one of the last 64GB 3G models on the Saturday morning (i.e. 24hrs after launch) in the Bullring AppleStore.

I had pre-ordered and received one on the Thursday (the day before launch) but it had dust under the screen. The replacement was going to take weeks, so Apple suggested I return the pre-order one for a refund and pick one up in-store, which I did.

I seem to remember we were in Solihull on either the Sunday or Monday of that weekend, and they still had some models in stock.

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Coventry, UK
I picked up one of the last 64GB 3G models on the Saturday morning (i.e. 24hrs after launch) in the Bullring AppleStore.

I had pre-ordered and received one on the Thursday (the day before launch) but it had dust under the screen. The replacement was going to take weeks, so Apple suggested I return the pre-order one for a refund and pick one up in-store, which I did.

I seem to remember we were in Solihull on either the Sunday or Monday of that weekend, and they still had some models in stock.
Thanks. If there isn't a reserve for in store pick up, I will take a chance and go to the Bull Ring.

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2005
Precisely. I think UK consumers are a bit wiser when it comes to upgrading a piece of tech, especially in this economy, dishing out £429 means problems for most people.

Personally I find it stupid how the iPad's first run was praised to its entirety, now Apple make it seem like a shadow of the past. It's a pretty nifty product, and for £329, it's reasonably priced.
not necessarily upgrading. I was waiting for this update, already liked the original iPad but was disappointed about the missing webcam.

Maybe I am not the only one who will go ahead now and buy an iPad.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
GSM being what AT&T was/is?

Yeah early servings indeed. I'm from the US and still have family there so I often get the "international discount".

Yes you need to make sure its the gsm version of the 3g line up. If youre buying wifi only you dont need to worry.

You getting early servings as well then?

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
I plan on buying mine in the US in 2 weeks time when I'm on holiday.
Can I just say, I am extremely jealous of you!

Buying an iPad at American prices.... £307 vs £430 it's a no brainer, and really unfair! :L

TheBigApple2006

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
I think we can all rest assured that the UK launch shall be on March 25, not later. Apple is giving lots of units to other resellers on day 1 in the US (Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc). That didn't happen last year, and it didn't happen until after the first few international launches. So my money is on pre-orders open to all over the world on March 11, and deliveries to us over the pond 2 weeks later :)

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I shall be in London March 31 after see Taylor Swift and plan on going to Covent Garden apple store to see these iPad2 in person, that way I can see what colour looks best. And who knows if they have a 32 3G (in preferred colour) and a green cover then I'll purchase it. But I mainly want to see.