iPad 2 UK Thread

tonyoevans

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
What's the situation for buying one from the US? I'm heading to Vegas in May and was going to wait until then but is there any sort of lock on it that will not allow me to use it over here?

I assume you can only buy Wifi version.
You can use the AT&T 3G one in the UK. Don't get the Verison one.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
What's the situation for buying one from the US? I'm heading to Vegas in May and was going to wait until then but is there any sort of lock on it that will not allow me to use it over here?

I assume you can only buy Wifi version.
I only want the wi-fi version anyway but I did read on here the other day that the US 3G models aren't locked to a network.

Worth double checking but I think you should be good.

snowleopard13

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
Austria
just to let you know: iPad 16GB Wifi REFURB sold out in Austria's and Germany's Online Store. So you better be quick, if you want the refurbished base model in UK.

i hope they are coming back though.

Simbazz

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Lancashire, England
Do people think there will be any preorders in the UK? Kinda hoping so, as I don't fancy waiting in a big queue in the Arndale Centre. If there isn't, will probably wait for a few days after release.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
Do people think there will be any preorders in the UK? Kinda hoping so, as I don't fancy waiting in a big queue in the Arndale Centre. If there isn't, will probably wait for a few days after release.
Arndale is my local store too.

Last time there was pre-orders, received mine on the Thursday, the day before the official launch :)

Sold my 32gb 3G on eBay in November (for an eyepopping £552) when I got an 11" mba. Kinda tempted to get the base model of iPad 2 though. Was originally planning to get a 3DS on the 25th, but in the short term it's a toss up between the two, and given that Pilotwings is the only launch title that interests me an iPad 2 is faaaaaar more tempting.

Caris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
Haha, I'm in the exact same position. Nintendo 3DS with Pilotwings or a iPad 2...

I played on a 3DS the other day and the 3D is outstanding, it really is a hard choice.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
You've played on a 3DS? Ace, I'm envious!

I'll definitely get a 3DS eventually but the launch line up doesn't do too much for me - aside from Pilotwings only SSF2 interests me, which is silly since I've pretty much exhausted that on my Xbox.

Counter that with all the games I've been unable to play since selling my iPad 1, plus newer stuff that I'm largely ignorant of....*drools*...it has to be an iPad 2! I'm only after a 16gb wifi this time, purely for couch browsing, the odd game and comics/manga.

03sho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I'm pretty sure you could go online, and reserve one for store pick up? In fact I'm almost 100% sure, but could someone confirm?
Oh OK, wasn't aware of that. Hope they do it for iPad as well :)

Does anyone know if student discount will be available?
I would also like to know this.

I used my student uni discount on a MBP last year so it would be good if I can do it again for iPad.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Did anyone buy one from the Birmingham or Solihull Apple store last year on launch? Did they sell out quick?
People were queuing from about 7 in the morning so there was quite a queue. Not sure how quick they sold out though.

Wouldn't expect there to be such a huge queue this time as it's not a brand new product.

LixLev

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Does anyone know a good place to sell/trade in the iPad 1, I sold mine on eBay yesterday, but turned out to be one of those Fraudulent/Send to Nigeria buyers, so I contacted to Ebay and had the deal cancelled.

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Just sold my ipad today, so I'm looking to get the ipad2 16gb wifi black on launch at the glasgow apple store. Heard rumours in the US that they are going on sale at 5pm. Will this be the case in the UK ? I hope so, as I have to work in the morning and can't manage into the store until about 2pm at the earlist. If they are selling from early that morning on the 25th, what do you think the chances are that they will still have stock in the afternoon ? if you can reserve that would be great.

Roll on the 25th.
:)

nwlondonlad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Does anyone know a good place to sell/trade in the iPad 1, I sold mine on eBay yesterday, but turned out to be one of those Fraudulent/Send to Nigeria buyers, so I contacted to Ebay and had the deal cancelled.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, I've got a 64Gb 3G Ipad i'm trying to sell. I'll be lucky if i can get £500 for it :(

DukeOfHunslet

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Hunslet, England
I am personally not expecting them to be in the UK on the 25th March.

I'll still be getting one, waited long enough. No Apple store in Leeds - odd that. Biggest financial centre outside London city and no Apple store.

I was at our technology conference in Manchester yesterday (I work for a certain oxygenated phone network) despite having a '3gb for a tenner' staff deal I only saw 3 all day. Most people I know are waiting for the upgrade.

I think we need to hear about a firm supply and launch day before deciding if I'm queuing for one or clicking for it...

ConnorTurnbull

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
United Kingdom
Ah, I waited at the Newcastle store for iPad 1. Was a fun experience, but not as fun as the big launches in New York or London. I hope for iPad 3 i'll go down to Regent Street or Covent Garden, but this time i'm just going to get it shipped (via preorder) and go into the store for accessories later in the day.

Problem with the smaller stores is there isn't that "community" excitement full of MacBook-using fans who've camped out for a week. Like I say, I really want to go down to London and do a proper line sit.