Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcat24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
Sooooo i was just curious for when the ipad 2 comes out if i have the ipad will there be some sort of upgrade availible because i kno im gonna want the facetime app on the ipad 2

anythoughts??

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
IPad 2 should be having several features that we all want. Camera's and USB connector come to mind. There is no way to put those in an original. That is exactly why I did not buy the first gen IPad, as I knew it would be improved within a year.

Mac Love

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
I just got my ipad yesterday and I am absolutely amazed by it. I would feel kind of silly holding it up to take a photo though...and if it's FaceTime capable, it wouldn't matter to me because nobody I know has it.

NEUengineer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
IPad 2 should be having several features that we all want. Camera's and USB connector come to mind. There is no way to put those in an original. That is exactly why I did not buy the first gen IPad, as I knew it would be improved within a year.

Yes, but with that philosophy you should never buy anything because the next model will always outdo the current model. A year after you buy gen 2, gen 3 will come out and put gen 2 to shame. You have just delayed the inevitable by one year. I don't understand this philosophy. How do you know that gen 2 will satisfy you when you don't even know what new features gen 3 will have? You could make the same argument that you should not buy gen 2 and wait for gen 3. But why buy gen 3, wait for gen 4...

At what point do you stop waiting and buy it?

Jcat24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
yea see im debating on whether i should get it now or wait the couple months because i would really like to get one. im either getting this or a macbook but i dnt really need a laptop at the moment thts why im thinking on going wit the ipad for now till college

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I knew I could wait till the 2nd gen came out. I am pretty patient in that regard. Especially with the IPad being something totally new. I also knew I wanted camera's, and knowing how Apple does stuff, I figured they would add that on, as they will. For me, if the computer or what ever else I have is working well, I do not have the need to get the next greatest thing just to have it. I have never upgraded to a smartphone, as I am with Verizon and am patiently waiting for the IPHone. I have learned that instant gratification sometimes backfires...LOL However, it looks like in 2011 I will have to figure out a way to get enough $$ to have a new IPad and a new IPhone.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Yes, but with that philosophy you should never buy anything because the next model will always outdo the current model. A year after you buy gen 2, gen 3 will come out and put gen 2 to shame. You have just delayed the inevitable by one year. I don't understand this philosophy. How do you know that gen 2 will satisfy you when you don't even know what new features gen 3 will have? You could make the same argument that you should not buy gen 2 and wait for gen 3. But why buy gen 3, wait for gen 4...

I usually don't wait to get something that I want just because I fear I will want the next model. I have had pretty good luck with selling the old model to get a good chunk of money to go towards a newer model when I want to upgrade.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010

Whenever he's satisfied with the features he wants I guess, which could be the next refresh or several refreshes after that.

However, we're only a mere 3.5 months away from the next iPad if they release it roughly the same time. Considering iPad is not a necessity....I believe there's no point in buying one now. You could buy one, use it, and sell it for less than what you bought it for when iPad 2 comes out and lose $100+ in the process or so.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Whenever he's satisfied with the features he wants I guess, which could be the next refresh or several refreshes after that.

However, we're only a mere 3.5 months away from the next iPad if they release it roughly the same time. Considering iPad is not a necessity....I believe there's no point in buying one now. You could buy one, use it, and sell it for less than what you bought it for when iPad 2 comes out and lose $100+ in the process or so.

I have had mine since launch, but I can honestly say that I would get at least $100 worth of value out of my use of the iPad for the next several months.

I have had no problem selling my old iPhones each year when I upgrade, and would be very satisfied if I only spend $150 to upgrade to a better product.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I have had mine since launch, but I can honestly say that I would get at least $100 worth of value out of my use of the iPad for the next several months.

I have had no problem selling my old iPhones each year when I upgrade, and would be very satisfied if I only spend $150 to upgrade to a better product.

I am curious, and for future reference, where do you usually sell your old tech stuff when it is time to upgrade?

iJays

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
i am excited with iPad gen2 because it means i can get the gen1 cheaply at ebay

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
I am curious, and for future reference, where do you usually sell your old tech stuff when it is time to upgrade?

I have used Craigslist to sell the last 4 iPhones (2 - 3g's, then 2 - 3GS a year later)with instant success. I usually just list the old phone for $200. as that is what I paid for the upgrade, not trying to make a proffit, just a quick sale.

I sold all 4 of these within an hour of posting. Meet the buyer in a public place, and get cash in hand.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
iPad is too expensive to replace it every single year. I have original iPad and I bought it for reading, checking email and browsing web. Unless I see retina display on iPad, I won't be getting another iPad.

robo74

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
Rockford, IL
Point taken. Although I can not imagine why anyone would want any type of computer device without a built in camera? Ya never know when you might have to capture a moment.

With all the things I already have in the bedroom, she would kill me if I asked about the iPad.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Point taken. Although I can not imagine why anyone would want any type of computer device without a built in camera? Ya never know when you might have to capture a moment.

Yeah, you're much more likely to experience a kodak moment when you have your ipad than when you have your phone. And congratulations on not buying the first ipad because you were so sure that the new version would have new features. I wish I had your foresight. But then again I would not have been able to enjoy everything about the first gen ipad for all these months.

Last edited:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Bragging about not having bought the earlier version is the only thing that these people can get any comfort from after having suffered not having a ipad for a year.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Not bragging about waiting, but while I wanted one right off the bat, I am always somewhat leary of getting the 'latest and greatest' till all the bugs are worked out of it. And, since I don't own a smartphone yet, I can't just whip out my iphone and take a pic. I am also pretty sure that once I get an Ipad2 I won't upgrade until it croaks, no matter how much more cool stuff the 3,4, etc...come with.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Not bragging about waiting, but while I wanted one right off the bat, I am always somewhat leary of getting the 'latest and greatest' till all the bugs are worked out of it. And, since I don't own a smartphone yet, I can't just whip out my iphone and take a pic. I am also pretty sure that once I get an Ipad2 I won't upgrade until it croaks, no matter how much more cool stuff the 3,4, etc...come with.

Technically, unless the upcoming iPad is identical to the existing iPad you're still buying a 1st generation of that new model (case in point all the brouhaha over iPhone 4 reception - although it's the 4th generation, it's all-new for the most part). You're seeking an illusory goal in that you want lots of wonderful new features that are supposedly absent from the current iPad but adding all the "new" features creates what is essentially a new 1st generation product.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario

Ever heard of a camera phone? Neither my iPad nor my Laptop have a camera. I have a DSLR camera and an iPhone for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.