iPad 2 - What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Neeliosis, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

IMO, it's basically identical to the current one. Last year, I bought one in a hurry. This year, I'd think twice. They put 2 cameras in it, and new processor, and a new design. Overall, I think I might pass on this one.

What do you think?

2. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Pre ordering one today. No doubt.

Thinner
    Lighter
    2x CPU
    9x GPU

It is a win win.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Omg

OMG SO PUMPED. IM GOING TO SELL MY IPAD AND GET A......

Laptop.

Sick of not being able to do real things on my portable. Sick of struggling to hit the correct link. Sick of the lack of true multitasking. Sick of stupid "App" environment.

Seriously though, no compelling upgrades yet. Sure, Photo booth would be fun to play with. So would Garageband, for when I was bored. iMovie might be fun to play with, but I doubt it. Will the iPad be able to edit 1080 24P footage from my 5DII? Doubt it. My iMac can barely do that. So what DO you edit? Footage you shot with your iPad?????

Nothing in this upgrade that moves the iPad from "Toy" category into "Tool."

Pumped on new MBP! :p

4. 184550 Guest

I use my iPad mainly for browsing the internet, email and reading news apps so I really have no need for the new features.

I'll pass.

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't need it, but I will preorder a white one :)

6. Mitch2742 macrumors member

Gonna be my first one.

Don't know if I should order white or black.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nothing surprising for the most part. Everyone was expecting a faster CPU, the faster GPU is a plus. The cat was already out of the bag regarding the thinness and weight so no surprises there.

An incremental update that continues to keep the iPad platform viable and popular.

I'm not sure why they needed a media event for this, there's really not too much to report. Unless you want to show off some of the newer apps which they're doing.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

THIS WINS. More need to think along these lines.

9. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I don't get people. What is it that you're looking for?

I mean you have a Dual Core processor...2X faster CPU, 9x faster graphics, 2 cameras, 33% thinner, lighter, HDMI out...what exactly more do you want?

10. urkel macrumors 68030

My opinion? They did a really good job of making "incremental upgrade" sound like "must-have product replacement".

I'm getting the iPad 2 because its everything I wanted, but if someone had an original iPad I wouldn't blame them for being unimpressed.

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

The only thing that disappointed me is that it sports the same aluminum body. That means easily scratched. Another thing is that their official case does not protect the back anymore. I don't like any of the third-party cases.

Easily scratched back -> no back protection from the official case -> lower resale value because of that

Where is carbon fiber, polycarbonate, liquid metal???? :confused:

12. xelaetaks macrumors member

im stoked they are adding garageband. i think im going to get a 64 gb, wifi/white iPad 2. the dual processor sounds like a good upgrade

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like it. My wife wanted to get me an iPad for Christmas and I told her not to. We will probably buy one of these.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Cover

Also-

What on earth is with the "cover"?

Looks incredibly un-apple. Looks like they actually put function over form, and it is NOT pretty :confused:

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Meh. Last year the ipad was incredible and revolutionary. This year there is strong competition chomping at the bit. I'm either going to keep my ipad1 or sell it and get an android tablet. I WILL revisit the ipad3 because it seems every OTHER generation apple puts out something amazing, but this ain't it. The OS is still the largest disappointment.

16. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

What are all the complainers looking for in the new ipad that it doesnt have? You were never going to get a higher res screen right now, so what else is there to complain about? To me Apple has done everything they needed to for an upgrade. They are unable to mass produce a screen with double the resolution so I was not expecting that.

17. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

At the end of the day - it's still just a big iPhone to me, I am planning on waiting until the bridge between OS X Lion & iOS is built a little better. I have an iPhone 4, and a MacBook - I just don't see why if I'm carrying my backpack - how an iPad is more convenient/useful than a MacBook right now.

I wonder how much RAM this guy has too. Prob 512MB

Plus I mean.. iMovie 9 is terrible on a real computer, and garageband is a gimmick on the iPad too.

I guess I'm just really not sure what I personally would use it for. I can't type efficiently, I can't draw/paint nicely (graphic design major), it is pretty cool though - but a little $$ for a toy - one day, it will be beastly. Just not today

18. The General macrumors 601

No retina = no sale. The thing is a snooze-fest. Call me when iPad has a retina display, otherwise I'll stick with my 11" MacBook Air.

Seriously, the pixels on that thing are huge. It is straight up unacceptable.

19. Mitch2742 macrumors member

Garage Band looks really sweet on the iPad. Wish I knew how to make music.

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Holy F'en crap they are still talking about garage band on the live event. I'll have to assume there are no other announcements then and this is what we are getting.

21. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

You knew this would be the reaction around here. People are unreasonable and don't understand all aspects of business. Sad,but true. I am actually pleasantly surprised. I was expecting less horsepower

22. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

You do realize the iPad has the same PPI :rolleyes:

People around here are "unacceptable"

23. Mitch2742 macrumors member

Probably going to order black. Not a huge fan of the white, surprisingly--plus I don't want any stains on it haha.

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Agreed. I got suckered in and bought one to replace my broken MB. Worked well for about 6 months. I as able to rationalize its limitations by thinking "Oh, look how neat it is to let potential clients go through slideshows with it" (Photographer).

Sure, that is fun, but not at what I give up: Ability to do true PP on the road, ability to use apps of my choice rather than force fed apple approved apps (VLC, Audacity, etc...), ability to actually work on a computer rather than play on an iPad. Hell, in retrospect I would have rather bought the new hard drive and bought the new battery and charger for my 2006 Macbook than have sold it off and bought the iPad.

Dont get me wrong, it sure is slick for browsing the internet (provided you are ok with missing out on half the content), and Scrabble is pretty fun. It has potential, but right now it really is a big iPodTouch. I am yet to hear a compelling reason why it is more, other than size/power.