iPad 2 WITHOUT light bleeding issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by unknown mr T, Apr 14, 2011.

1. unknown mr T macrumors member

I am going to buy an iPad 2 in a few weeks. But I was wondering if there are many people here without the screen bleeding issue... When I see the forum on macrumors there are really many people who have an iPad 2 with a faulty screen :(. Should I wait a few more weeks to see if apple is going to solve the problem or just buy now ;)

2. kazaam93 macrumors member

Hey, I phoned up Applecare as my iPad has backlight bleeding as well. I asked if Apple were aware of them problem and was told that they are.The Applecare man asked me if he should make an appointment for me in my local Apple Store but I said that I have read of people having replaced their iPad 2's multiple times just to have the same problem, and that this is too much hassle. I then asked how long I should wait to go into my Apple store for a replacement, and was told 4 months! :eek: (I'm like woah, by then the iPad 3 will almost be out) but I plan to wait a month or two and phone up to see if the problem is sorted as the problem shouldn't take so long to fix. C'mon APPLE!! (I know they don't read this, lol)

I am sure there are some people with no issues, but many people like me won't notice it or think its normal. I wouldn't have really noticed it if I hadn't read it on these forums. But there must be some people with perfect iPads!

Hope this helps!!

3. shaun319 macrumors member

i had my ipad 2 replaced for bleeding and the new one works perfectly

4. kazaam93 macrumors member

Are you in the UK or USA? For some reason, I think that the net batch of perfect iPads will be coming to the USA first!

On the phone, he said the problem will be fixed in the next batch, and he said to wait four months. I am planning on waiting 2 months before getting a replacement because hopefully by that time the "imperfect" iPads will not be in the stores. If I get it replaced now, there's a chance I will get another iPad with backlight bleeding!

5. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

I don't have any issues with mine. Well none that I've noticed anyway.

6. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

7. jddar macrumors regular

jddar

I have no problems with mine. It's a great device. So much so that I can hardly put it down. :apple: really out did themselves.

8. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

This would be far more helpful if people with "perfectly" working displays would let us know if it's there under the test situation of 100% brightness in a dark room. Now before some of you get all twisted inside and start smashing keys the reason I think it's important is because we all watch and use our iPads in different situations. What's good for you might not be for someone else. It'll also tell us if there is a true fix out there that happened since this issue ccroppped up.

9. Reevey macrumors newbie

In general use, never notice it. When I put a movie on, with brightness set to full, then yeah, can spot it when I look round the edges. But seriously, on day to day using it, I don't notice it, and it deffo doesn't affect my enjoyment :)

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

100% brightness, it's fine. Not that I ever use 100% brightness.

11. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

As an iPad 1 owner, and now an iPad 2 owner, I think that this whole issue is dramatically overblown. My iPad 1 had backlight bleed that I never noticed until this discussion started regarding the iPad 2. At thar point, I took my iPad 1 into a dark room and turned the backlight all the way up. Sure enough, there was backlight bleeding that I had never noticed in ten months of use. Not only that, it looked very much on a oar with the images that were posted of how "bad" the backlight bleeding on the iPad 2 is.

Now, I have an iPad 2, and, yes, it has backlight bleeding, too. Its backlight bleeding is roughly equivalent to what I saw on my iPad 1, and, frankly, I never notice it, unless I go looking for it...

My advice would be to not even worry about it.

12. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

That's fine advice unless it bothers someone.

13. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Sorry but I doubt a iPad 2 without bleed on 100% brightness in a dark room exsits.

Prove me wrong with pics. Otherwise it never happened.

14. dexthageek macrumors 6502

I agree! It is almost impossible to provide a display that does not have some amount of light bleed. I would venture the guess that MAYBE 1% of people complaining actually have a defective unit.

15. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Hmm maybe. I think there's more to it when someone like myself can get 2 iPads with bleed bad enough to see at any brightness. Add that with all the other stories out there of returns and I think it may be more. Hey but who knows. Then again it might only bother people that have an eye for quality. ;)

16. PBz macrumors 6502

This is fine for those who are apparently OK with it.

My question is how do these people feel about the fact that every Apple Store employee I have spoken to on this, including several store managers, have all said the screen of the iPad 2 "should NOT look like that". Look at how Apple is handling this.. hell, they aren't even looking at most of these returned iPads as they KNOW it's an issue and they KNOW it isn't their normal level of quality.

But those that are cool with sub-standard quality enjoy.. I personally don't get that perspective/attitude.. especially when the actual manufacturer of the device agrees.

17. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Right on target. As a mater of fact if this is a typical LCD I think Apple should tell their genius' that there should be no returns and let the customer know that this is well within the quality of an LCD.

18. dexthageek macrumors 6502

I have yet to get my iPad 2 trying to find one locally (not having much luck). Over the past several years, I have returned a number of Apple products due to poor display quality.

iPhone 3G - Inconsistent dark spots on display.
    iMac 27inch - Yellowing issue
    MacBook Pro - Extreme light bleed on 60% of the display.

Hopefully, my iPad will not have any serious issues.

19. Ryanctf macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope mine is perfect from day one.

20. hismikeness macrumors regular

I didn't have any until some of the complaints first appeared, and then all of a sudden I noticed it.

Still doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm the same as a lot of people... only at max brightness, dark screen, dark room.

21. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Good to hear.

22. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Another possibility is that the amount of backlight bleed I have is less than you've seen, and what I've seen really isn't that bad. As I said, I never noticed it on my iPad 1 until all this discussion made me go looking for it. Same is true with my iPad 2. Maybe some people have it much worse, and for them I'd say, great, return it. My point was that worrying about whether or not to get an iPad right now for fear of getting one that has backlight bleed issues is a waste of energy. Better to just get one, and if the particular unit you get has pretty bad backlight issues, then just return it and have it replaced.

23. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

This is definitely something I'd never have noticed if I had not seen these discussions

24. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Just for kicks I checked one of our year-old iPad 1s for this when I read this thread. Cranked the brightness all the way up and shut off the lights. Sure enough, there was some bleed. There was also bleeding from my eyes from having the brightness cranked to blinding levels.

I never noticed anything before and I don't keep my brightness jacked all the way up because it's not enjoyable to read that way plus your battery will discharge much faster.

Manufacturing defects are common, particularly when they are producing as many of these things as they are. However, I'd be willing to bet almost everyone would not have noticed this if it hadn't been for the threads online. If you look for a defect, you'll probably find one.