iPad 2013 Predictions

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Okay, so now all the hubbub is done with the iPad 2012, what are the predictions for the next iPad 2013? Anyone?

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
• 802.11ac
• New/More/Faster Flash Memory
• Slightly improved processor
• Slightly improved cameras

Long shot
• Haptics

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
- The back case will be made from a genetically-modified emu eggshell.
- Smart covers in a variety of animal skin choices (giraffe, seal, panda).
- Will be made entirely using slave labour.
- There will be a stylus option.

* I made the last one up.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Anyone think the next iPad will have nano-coating so then it's waterproof? I think the camera improvements will be there as well as a processor bump. Now that Steve is gone, does anyone think that a capacitive pen will get released?

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Just Some Safe Speculation

I'm guessing the resolution stays the same.

32GB, 64GB, 128GB (likely the 3rd generation stays at lower price, with 16GB).

Faster processor.

HD FaceTime front-facing camera & 8MP "iSight" camera.

Redesigned form factor.

Possible elimination of volume/mute buttons, to give it a "cleaner" look.

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
I predict that between now and then, we will see literally hundreds of threads asking the same thing. And lots of rumors. Don't forget rumors.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Whatever it is, it won't be good enough. During the keynote expect endless 'meh', 'disappointing' etc.

More seriously,
Siri
128GB option (depending on iCloud penetration)

The bigger difference for the next iPad will be how it uses iOS 6.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
They'll call it "The new iPad" and people WON'T freak out over their word choices.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
2013?

tim opened up the door to 2012 stuff the way that he ended his presentation, so i expect lots of rumors about the ipad mini (as opposed to the maxi-pad?).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Geez guys this is "MacRumors" you act like speculating is a bad thing.

Talking about future products allows us all to discuss where the market is headed as well as our knowledge will take up. In the process you can learn about upcoming technology which is what most of us love.

With that in mind here's what I'm hoping to upgrade my iPad 2 with in 2013 provided the Earth is still here after Dec 21,2012

Processor:

Apple most likely will deliver a Quad Core processor without Quad Core graphics for the next iPhone. I believe the rumors that they will call in A6.

For the iPad in 2013 I think we see an A7 processor announced. Yes A7. It'll be Quad Core in a big.LITTLE configuration with an A15 based ARM core that is heavily modified.

The A7 will feature PowerVR Rogue graphics and integrated Anobit SSD controller.

The big thing for this processor will be MacroScalar technology. This will differentiate the A7 from off-the-shelf Cortex A15 parts. MacroScalar will allow Apple to squeeze every bit of performance from the longer pipelines of the A15 and A7.

Display:

Will remain the same resolution but switch to Sharp's IGZO screens allowing the iPad to shrink back thickness to even smaller than the iPad 2. 1.1 lbs should be the goal.

Storage:
Anobit technology integrated. iPad doubles down.

Options
32 GB
64 GB
128GB

Baseband:

LTE Advanced
Bluetooth 4.0 remains
802.11ac single stream

Camera:

8MP rear facing
VGA front facing

Connectivity:

Magsafe+USB connection replaces 30-Pin
Stereo speakers

The iPad 2013 marks the first iPad that the distinction between Wifi and Cellular goes away. EVERY iPad has LTE chips in it.

Last edited:

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I think it'll be like iPad 1 to 2. Spec bumps and a significant design change.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
New case
Thinner
FaceTime HD front camera
World 4G LTE (no separate 4G models for different carrier)
802.11a/ac/b/g/n WiFi

bluenik25

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Quad Core A6

128gb option

Better iSight Camera

Thinner and Lighter

Thunderbolt Port

No Home Button

Called The New iPad (4th Gen)

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
It'll never happen, but the real way for them to compete against the hardware of the android devices is to just cave and add a SD Slot and HDMI out

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
It'll never happen, but the real way for them to compete against the hardware of the android devices is to just cave and add a SD Slot and HDMI out
Many people complain about OSX getting iOS features in Mountain Lion. It would be great for iOS6 to get OSX features like SD storage (I'm fine with an HDMI dongle).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
That's not going to happen. The primary reason why people whine about lack of HDMI or SD cards slots is because they don't want to pay for the next storage priceband or for a device like Apple TV.

Apple doesn't give a ***** if you want to go cheap. They're going to do things they're way.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
What? Compete against android hardware? Nobody's buying Android based on hardware in any meaningful degree. People are selecting Android devices on some combination of (1) niche need, (2) ignorance, (3) price, (4) anti-Apple sentiment. Apple's already crushing the competition; it's not like adding HDMI or an SD slot is going to make any significant changes in sales.

Nightprowler

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
That's not going to happen. The primary reason why people whine about lack of HDMI or SD cards slots is because they don't want to pay for the next storage priceband or for a device like Apple TV.

Apple doesn't give a ***** if you want to go cheap. They're going to do things they're way.
Problem with next storage band is that its a max of 64GB. With cards you can have as many as you need and swap them in and out as needed so its essentially unlimited.

As for Apple TV yeah its great for at home (I use an Acer Revo personally as you don't need to worry about format), but what if somewhere else that doesn't have Apple TV..Friends & Family, work, etc. No option without spending more $ and getting the dongle.

Not that its any competition against an iPad on a complete package basis, but as a comparison, you can buy a $170 tablet from China right now that has native HDMI out (not mini-HDMI) with the ability to push 3D (2160p).