iPad iPad 3 iOS 5.1 untethered jailbreak when?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eelnodnarb, Mar 22, 2012.

1. eelnodnarb macrumors newbie

Hey, new guy here and I really would like to know when, if ever, the untethered version of the iPad 3 jailbreak is going to be released. An estimated time such as "the end of the month" will suffice.

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. eelnodnarb thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ANinjaPeanut macrumors member

God forbid you could be patient and just wait? If you really want to be up to date with this then try following people such as the dev team, i0nic & musclenerd etc.
    Just be patient and follow the news of it, there are too many of these damn threads at every iOS update or new iDevice....

5. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Use the tethered JB when its out

Personally I have only let it reach 0% twice in 4 months so tether JB is a near safe way to go. For me it's stability was relatively good

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPad 2, iPhone 4S, and the iPad 3 are much more likely to have an untethered userland jailbreak. The only reason why the A4 devices have a tethered jailbreak is because they utilize the limera1n bootrom exploit. The A5 devices don't have any bootrom exploit at this time. Thus, they must rely on an untethered userland jailbreak.

7. vahnx macrumors member

Geohot left the scene. Ever since then jailbreaks have been very slow to come out. The iPad 2 jailbreak for instance took four-months

8. batotman macrumors 6502

I wouldn't expect it for a few weeks at minimum. After the initial discovery, they've been pretty quiet. After the whole URL spoof issue in iOS 5.1, apple will probably release 5.1.1 soon anyways so there's a chance they'll keep it in the back pocket until then. Just keep an eye on iClarified.com.

9. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Geohot was hired by Facebook last year, but rumor is that he left the company in January of this year. Maybe he joined Anonymous or something..

10. eelnodnarb thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean to come off rude or pushy, I'm certainty patient enough to wait as long as the end product works.

I just wanted an ETA to predict how long I'll have to deal with mediocre apps and MKV playback, because that's really why I bought an iPad; to play mkv and read lots.

Can I just have confirmation that it will be released at some point? Because I remember back when I had an iPod Touch (2G?) that I couldn't jailbreak it ever again because I accidentally updated the firmware...which reminds me...

Is there a way to disable or completely remove the automatic update function on iPad and on iTunes, to make sure the iOS remains 5.1?

11. BlueRaider macrumors regular

There has never been a point at which an iPod Touch 2G couldn't be jailbroken regardless of what firmware version it was on. They're downgradable so whoever told you that was completely wrong. On the subject of an iPad 3 jailbreak I wouldn't hold my breath. The iPad 2 took 4 months from release to Jailbreakme 3. The iPad 3 has been jailbroken which is good news but it takes a LONG time to develop a working jailbreak for the A5 equipped devices. i0n1c has a working exploit, at this point it doesn't appear he's going to release it any time soon. I've been jailbreaking since the original iPhone and have gone through this alot and in my opinion we aren't going to see an A5 iOS 5.1 jailbreak until sometime after June 1 at the soonest. I hope I'm wrong though. On a side note, ih8sn0w has announced he's found a way to get past the APTicket signing issues on A5/X devices with saved SHSH blobs and can downgrade firmwares. This means that if a jailbreak is released you should be able to always be jailbroken even if you make the mistake of upgrading firmware.

12. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Be happy that there are ppl out there working hard to bring us a JB for free

13. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

calm down, you are not changing anything by griping about it. its a rumor site, of course questions like these are going to be asked millions of times over by newbies such as yourself.

I for one, have never owned an iPad and cannot wait until I get mine jailbroken. so I will keep checking back here (rumors forum) until the info leaks.

14. eelnodnarb thread starter macrumors newbie

@BlueRaider

It was a certain firmware that basically blocked you from downgrading the firmware. It only existed for a little bit until the new iPod came out, but I do distinctively remember that it was impossible to jailbreak because of the firmware's downgrading restrictions.

@Johnnyturbouk

I don't expect it to come out within a month, just saying that the format of a reply would be more than enough to satisfy my question.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPod Touch 2G never had any downgrade restrictions. It only had soft SHSH blobs which could be bypassed with redsn0w. Futhermore, every firmware on the iPod Touch 2G since iOS 3.1 has been publicly jailbroken within days of the firmware's public release.

16. ANinjaPeanut macrumors member

I'm not a newbie? Simply because I've lurked for a long time before making an account and don't post much doesn't make me a newbie.
    The reason it irritates me so much is because there are so many of these threads created it's unreal, instead of a simple search people make a whole new thread for it ._.

17. Romeosc macrumors newbie

Cydiahelp.com is good to watch

May be a while.

Rumors are ionic's jailbreak loophole was sold to Apple for $250,000 so they could patch.... Others may follow suit and make a business out selling bugs to Apple

It is a temptation.... Release it free or collect 1/4 million dollars to reveal bug in IOS

18. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I'd probably take the cash and then just finish developing the JB for myself, but that wouldn't really do too much I guess because I would have to make all my own tweaks. Still, quarter of a million...

19. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Ipad 3 was jail broken the day after it was released...just waiting for the public release now.

20. d0vr macrumors 6502a

"Still a lot of work to do before release" could easily mean months. Don't get excited because the hackers wanted bragging rights, it's not like they're just packaging it up now (they may already have it and are just waiting for 5.1.1, but don't get your hopes up).

21. KrakaJap macrumors member

0% is only half the issue of a tethered jb. A lot of apps you install from Cydia require a full reboot and thus require you to boot tethered.

22. BlueRaider macrumors regular

If we see another tethered jailbreak of an iDevice it's going to be a REALLY big deal. Geohot, the BootROM expert, is out of the business because of all the idiots that hounded him constantly. That was two years ago when not nearly as many people even knew what a jailbreak was. The Devs today get 10,000 tweets from people wanting to be beta testers or asking when this or that is going to be released. I honestly think this is the reason i0n1c isn't going to release his jailbreak. He has more fun holding it over the heads of the newbs and idiots out there that think they are owed a jailbreak. These are the same people I'm sure who didn't donate a dime when Absinthe was released a couple months back, I'm betting some of the people posting in this very thread fall into that category as well.

i0n1c didn't sell **** to apple. Apple would never pay $250,000 for a jailbreak. The $250,000 number came from a recent Forbes article in which it was stated that an iOS 5 jailbreak could be worth $250,000 to a government. Apple doesn't need to pay for a jailbreak, they'll just wait until it's released into the wild or someone screws up and lets the wrong person have it (which has happened in the past) then they'll release a firmware version with the jailbreak exploit fixed. All you have to do is look at iOS 4.02, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.4, and 4.3.5, none of these firmware versions offered any real changes other than Airprint and Wifi hotspot functionality. They did contain fixes for all the prior jailbreaks though!

23. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I love seeing these "when will it come out" threads, because obviously many users of MR are devs :rolleyes:

Honestly, the only people who can even begin to pinpoint a release date are the devs themselves, and I doubt they even know for sure themselves.

It's ok to ask questions and stuff, but what sort of answer were you looking for here? We are not musclenerd or i0n1c. We have nothing to base an estimated time off of...yes, pics were released of a jailbroken iPad 3 on release day by musclenerd and i0n1c, but that gives us no grounds to "estimate" a release date, since none of us here have developed a working jailbreak before. We have no frame of time to reference and make an estimate.

And this isn't like an OS or other release that has several beta and developer releases (like iOS, OS X, etc). They finish creating the jailbreak and toss it out there in the wild, and that's that. There are no dev builds that signal it to be released soon.

I'm not flaming OP, just stating my thoughts. If you want an estimate from me, my best estimate will be that it will come out when musclenerd (or whoever is working on a jailbreak) says it is ready.

24. ano0oj macrumors 6502

lol please...it'll be out by the end of april

25. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

This is what I was thinking, it was getting an exploit and exploting it that took so friggin long with the a5, and they've already got 3 seperate exploits up and working, it's just modification now.