Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
If it will be the same iPad with more resolution I'm out. When I bought the iPad 2 was because I want a faster processor and the cameras. I give a damn about resolution displays and siri. I seriously hope something better than the iPad2.

That's absurd. Obviously it isn't going to just be the iPad 2 with a retina display. Of course it is going to be faster than the 2, with better graphics and more RAM, better cameras and, oh ya, that gorgeous retina display you don't give a damn about.

xumax

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2011
"...companies don't care about corporate secrets any more. ..."

You have to be kidding. The things we DON'T know about Apple products probably outnumbers what (via rumors) is/may be known by a large percentage.

"...]I find it funny how much Apple allowed this product to leak..."

Apple is possibly, and in some people's minds, definitely, the best marketing company in the world. They get a million dollars (not much for pr, actually) free publicity just by opening a store, dropping a hint about an upcoming presentation, leaking/not leaking possible components of an upcoming product.to the extent that SkyBetUK took bets on the iPad 3 features...

"Predictions for a retina display seemed downright certain, with 1/8 odds for and 9 to 2 against. More fanciful features, like a Thunderbolt port (5 to 1 for, 1/50 against) and an SD card slot (12 to 1 for, 8/13 against) got better returns if they actually panned out. Interestingly, most of the participating gamplers believed that the iPad 3 wouldn’t..."

I think they know what they're doing.

I agree with you and want to add that its a very smart move from Apple to avoid the hype - as you just can't keep this hype going without upsetting the fans - as the human expectations a naturally unlimited.

Think Apple gets on a more professional and setting path when it comes to speculations and .... of course without leaking what they don't want to be leaked.

Like somebody said - they are experts in marketing.

bubblemint

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
I'm am not directing this at anyone who has anything constructive to say, but holy cannoli there are some sad [users] running around these forums. So many downers. No one on these boards knows anything more than anyone else about the iPad 3. Really. Seriously. Most have read the same information from the same sources. Namely, this site. To assume that someone is, say, an idiot or stupid or somehow inferior to you because they have different ideas (and it's all speculation, mind you) is abundantly disheartening.

I may be a new member, but I've been reading for a long time

Some folks here actually care about the features of the product and relay information about how they feel about it and why they think it's a possibility. And they discuss it in a respectful manner. For instance, some, with no animosity, talk about the advantages of a Retina upgrade, or the little case changes, or battery life compared to weight, design, why LTE is a good idea and why not, why/why not they need more/less Gb space on their iPads. These type of discussions make products better and the consumer (us) happier.

But naw. We'd rather down-vote decent points and mention how much the music in the video (which awesomely shows us the new iPad's form factor in comparison to the the previous model, seeing as we know nothing about this product) sucks. Or ironically, mention how great the music is. (Personally, I totally thought it sounded like Sonic the Hedgehog music too.) But who cares? It has nothing to do with the article or the report it was about. If you could have done a better job, you should have.

I wish some of us would just take advantage of the opportunity we have to intelligently discuss the upcoming product, instead of taking time to be cruel to other posters. Some people say stupid ******. They don't need to be made fun of, they need to be educated.

This is exciting. The new iPad is rumored to have features that take a pivotal step into the future. And all we know for certain is that Apple sent invitations with what looked like an iPad on 'em.

Each of us are members of the same community. We need to find some civility. Go ahead... prove me wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Each of us are members of the same community. We need to find some civility. Go ahead... prove me wrong.

If you want that, best to find another place on the internet to visit. This is a site done by tech nerds for tech nerds. A place where the word "expected" is over used and abused. So just take the site for what it is - Light Entertainment. And then you can come here and have a laugh at the articles and enjoy your time here.

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
I just want to post to defend the music on this video, it's got an exciting retro '80s vibe to it. Love it! :D

And it looks this iPad will be the one for me... have held off on the first two.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Just give it more ram, 512 in the iPad2 was a mistake. Regardless of the justifications for the smaller amount, in real world use it often reloads web pages when switching tabs even when only two or three are open. After opening the multitask bar and quitting other apps (which Apple insists isn't necessary), the pages stay loaded in memory instead of reloading.

More ram.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
The lack of funds to upgrade? lol You dont know me man. Its not that I dont have money to upgrade, I just dont see the point of upgrading just for a better screen. This is similar to upgrading from an iPhone 4 to a 4s. Not worth it.

its more like the upgrade from the 3gs to the 4...the screen was the MAIN reason to upgrade...ever since the resolution bump I havent felt a need to upgrade to the new iPhone. I know I will be completely happy with the iPad 3 bc it will finally have a screen that i can't complain about..

sold my iPad 2 last week for 400...will get the new one and will have lost a minimal amount of money for a whole year with the iPad 2. I honestly can't complain.

Last edited:

camelKäse

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Been insanely lucky myself - posting my iPad 2 + all pheripherals tomorrow, sold it all for less than a 15% loss, after almost a year of ownership.

Regarding the RAM bump, that one should pretty much be a no-brainer due to the resolution increase. The question is perhaps rather if they'll go with a full gigabyte of memory, or a more sparse jump to 768 MB. 2x bitmap assets don't strictly translate to twice the memory footprint, so I could sort of see the latter happening (though it would suck.)

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Just give it more ram, 512 in the iPad2 was a mistake. Regardless of the justifications for the smaller amount, in real world use it often reloads web pages when switching tabs even when only two or three are open. After opening the multitask bar and quitting other apps (which Apple insists isn't necessary), the pages stay loaded in memory instead of reloading.

More ram.

They should also modify apps so they can cache webpages, Facebook, Tumblr, Safari all come to mind. the the first two crashing after long enough, because it tries to store everything in RAM and runs out.

Sorry for the long post, but why do these apps need to keep EVERYTHING in RAM? with the Tumblr app, you're looking at 1 picture or text post, possible two depending on size, why do all the previous pictures and text need to be in RAM? Sorry, this app crashes all the time and it annoys me :/

Last edited:

osxhero

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Do you get upset at ESPN for reporting sports stories too?

You know, your analogy is EXACTLY the same isn't it? Sports scores of current events that have been broadcast publicly for all to know, and secret backdoor factory floor parts against the wishes of Apple. I see the correlation, really.

Or maybe I don't, because maybe there is no comparison.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
You know, your analogy is EXACTLY the same isn't it? Sports scores of current events that have been broadcast publicly for all to know, and secret backdoor factory floor parts against the wishes of Apple. I see the correlation, really.

Or maybe I don't, because maybe there is no comparison.

I take it you don't actually watch ESPN and view any of the stories it reports? This would happen to include rumors, leaked information, whatever the sports world has to offer.

Maybe you don't see the correlation because either you choose to ignore it, or you really have no idea what you're talking about in thinking ESPN only reports scores of current events that everyone sees? The point still stands. It's laughable that you're upset about iPad 3 rumors on a rumor-reporting site. You CAN 'change the channel' as you put it. Or is MacRumors somehow the only website you can navigate?

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Looks pretty cool, hoping it fits into my current iPad 2 accessories, I'm waiting till Wednesday to order a new case or not, my current one is falling apart under warranty so i can make a claim and use the case with my iPad 3

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
What is your problem? What part of this doesn't make sense to you?

He sold his iPad 2, because he knows the iPad 3 is incoming, and will be a lot better than the iPad 2. The iPad 2 is going for $400 and up on eBay, which will END on March 7th, when the iPad 2 drops in price by $100 at the keynote. Not only is now the best time to have sold your iPad 2, but the amount of money you make on the sale almost pays for a new iPad 3. If he's had the iPad 2 for a year, thats incredibly great return on investment, and smart use of available funds.

I did the exact same thing last week.

So just WTF is your problem??

Ha... I'm happy for you... you should look into selling lemonade next!

I just think it's quite laughable that these devices seem to be almost disposable, and the attraction to the latest and greatest / bragging rights, surpasses the logic of losing money, whether it's a single dollar/pound or 50 of 'em... each time you 'upgrade'.

Glad you're happy. :)

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Has it been confirmed the iPad does indeed have slightly more tapered edges as the leaks in the above video show?

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Did you come up with that exciting quip all on your own?
That gem wasnt funny the first 200 times someone posted it.

hey mr cool actually it was nit a joke it was an observation and a decision and now that i have one at see how great it is im calling it ipad3.. how do you like that..lol:D:D

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
That's absurd. Obviously it isn't going to just be the iPad 2 with a retina display. Of course it is going to be faster than the 2, with better graphics and more RAM, better cameras and, oh ya, that gorgeous retina display you don't give a damn about.

how does it feels ending up with the same iPad 2, the same processor and a brand new retina display? thanks God I didn't fall on the rabbit hole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.