iPad 3 rumors: Will you still buy an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 17, 2011.

?

Are you going to purchase an iPad 2 in spite of iPad 3 rumors?

1. NO! I want an iPad ASAP, but I won't buy because of iPad 3 rumors!

11 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. MAYBE... I want an iPad ASAP, but the rumors make me hesitant...

28 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. YES! In spite of the rumors, I really need/want the iPad now!

27 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. YES! The rumors are complete rubbish and speculation

28 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. Rumors don't affect me. I will buy whenever I get the features I want (i.e. retina display)

31 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. Not thinking about getting an iPad this year regardless.

19 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So there have been a lot of (baseless) rumors this year about a refresh in Sept, only 5 months after the iPad 2 refresh. Some might even be speculating that the iPad 2 will just be a minor bump to compete with the initial onslaught of Android, with the major design changes and upgrades coming later in the year.

This is something that is pure speculation, and is most likely completely untrue, but even if there is a 30% chance of a more significant iPad refresh coming 5 months later, would you take the risk to go ahead and buy the iPad 2? But then if you wait till September and no refresh occurs you would be stuck buying an iPad halfway through its refresh cycle or holding out for another 7 months.

Oh the difficulties!!

Edit: I changed the title to be more in line with the poll question. I didn't want to be confusing.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, I'm content with my iPad 1 as it does all that I need it to do.

I have little desire to go with the iPad 2 especially given the fact it appears to be a minor update.

3. windSurfer21 macrumors newbie

I think anyone who believes the 2011 iPad 3 rumor needs to get their head checked.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I think the odds of apple releasing an iPad 3 in the fall are between slim and none - oh and slim left town ;)

5. miamijim macrumors 6502

Nope I am happy with my iPad 1, I am not intending to upgrade it for at least another 5 years, anyone who feels they just have to have the next new product needs to take a good long look at their lives as something is obviously missing.. oh and if your answer is I have the cash I can do what I want with it, maybe you should just donate it to charity or something.

Same as that kid who bought the iPad and then smashed it with a baseball bat, something seriously wrong with him and the way he was brought up, and if it ain't the parents fault then he should be in severe therapy somewhere... damn that still riles me I just want to smash his teeth done his throat.

Sorry I am calmer now.

(Oh and I never paid for my iPad is a gift from work) but I still would never have smashed it up.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yeah I agree the chances are very slim, especially because there is little to no evidence.

But in spite of that, I think you have to agree that it makes (at least some) rational sense to try to put the iPad closer in line to the iPhone/iPod touch refreshes. Although I agree it is difficult choosing the path how to get there.

7. DukeOfHunslet macrumors member

I haven't bought the iPad yet because it doesn't have the same memory as an iPhone 4 which seams a bit pants to me.

I intend buying an iPad 2 and am now getting a bit board of waiting.

I expect the device to change my life - so much so that I am tempted to just go out and buy an iPad1 anyway and then buy an iPad 2 when it's available.

Last night while sitting in my thinking area (toilet) I came to conclusion that if the iPad really does change my life as much as I expect it to then I'll be buying an iPad3, 4, 5, 6 , 7 etc. If it doesn't then I'll be out looking for a different device that will do that.

Continually upgrading and flipping your old hardware is a small price to pay for a huge leap forward in personal productivity... a friend of mine buys a new Mac Mini every year flipping his old one. His loss isn't as much as I expected.

My iTouch never left my ears - as does my iPhone now. I'm expecting great things...and it isn't just about the hardware spec.

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

9. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Nobody NEEDS an iPad... Nobody NEEDS anything apart from water, food, warmth and shelter.

Why also have nothing but melodramatic options in the poll?

Yes, I'll buy an iPad 2, and if a new one launches a few months after (LMFAO!) I'll buy that one too. At this price-point, for me it's throw-away tech.

10. csjo00 macrumors regular

I'm hoping that when the iPad 2 comes out, I'll be able to get an iPad 1 for relatively cheap. Then if iPad 3 does come out in the Fall, then I'll pick it up new, and find something to do with with my iPad 1.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't your arms get tired from patting yourself on the back so much. Great you can afford to buy and throw iPads away. You whine about how melodramatic the pole options are yet, you had to the hyperbole by touting how great you are. :rolleyes:

12. Gryzor macrumors 6502

No, you just extrapolated "how great I am" based on your own insecurity. I don't recall whining about the options, I merely questioned them.

Don't take what you read literally either. I pass my tech onto family and friends so everybody benefits.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gryzor,
    do you realize how you come off on these threads. Your posting style makes you look arrogant and condescending.

Perhaps you're an ok guy to hang around but clearly the way you post stuff here, you come off as a d*ck and you tend to ruin threads. Why not lighten up and lose the "I'm great" posts. It will only make the threads here more readible and enhance the dialog, not detract from them.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

There is always going to be something newer, better, and faster.

Waiting for iPad 3 is pointless...
    Why not wait for iPad 456?

15. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

At first read of his post, my first thought was "what a d***"..

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

because the iPad 457 is going to be so much better, its rumored to have a neural net interface allowing you to think, instead of tapping :p

17. 0815 macrumors 68000

I will get the iPad2 and hand my iPad1 down to my kids. If there is really a iPad3 coming in fall (which I highly doubt) I will give the iPad2 to my wife and get the iPad3 .... that way we don't have to keep fighting about the iPad

18. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Did I ever, even just once, say "I am great"? No...so, I have no idea where you dreamed that up from. Should I be sorry for my own financial success?

19. GRuizMD macrumors regular

I'am waiting for iPad 89, the current one still does not have tele-transporting features.

Seriously: I will buy iPad 2 and pass my current iPad 1 to my daugther... currently she spends more time with it than me.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you shouldn't be sorry but why should you flaunt it in front of us, you come off as a d*ck when you do

21. GRuizMD macrumors regular

Even though I think that I should not be sorry for MY overall success (not only financial), I dont publicly announce it, it's not really that big of a deal, at least for the ones that are successfull on other aspects of their lives, like career, family etc... Bragging about it would make me look like somebody who is otherwise worthless and whose only asset in life is money.

22. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I usually stick with the product until it breaks... the ipad is revolutionary, but anything that comes after it is simply an improvement... nothing too radically entertaining. at least in my view. I'll probably update my ipad when it breaks, or when it is fully capable of replacing my macbook in terms of power. or maybe it'll never get there...

my original ipad is amazing. the screen is fantastic, sound quality is also quite good.. the only problem i have is the RAM.. sometimes webpages take 2 to 3 seconds to load, an app will act a bit slow, but what are 2 seconds? but seriously, i think these new products will be great, but nothing so major that make me ditch the current one for a new model.

My iphone 3G is still fully operational and I have no desire to switch to the fourth installment. Still does everything i need it to...

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I thought the same until the recent set of rumors revealing that it might not een get an A5 dual core processor and dual core graphics, and simply feature a modestly improved A4, and 512mb (instead of 1gb like the 5 million android honeycomb tablets hitting the Market this year - though must admit not a big deal for me but still.)

Add the 1 mega pixel camera rumors etc.. It's looking like iPad 2 really is a minimal conservative upgrade.

Given that, it adds weight to the idea that another refresh may come sooner than later. Remember the newly introduced model would not necessarily have to replace the current model, but may be offered as a premium edition model.

I still hope the iPad 2 does indeed get the refresh it deserves, dual A5' dual core gpu, and 512mb - 1mb ram. But I'm starting to think it will not, and I'm not sure where that leaves me in my plans to upgrade. Modest improvements will not make me buy in March / April. But an enhanced albeit pricier model in September would.....

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I buy devices when they have the features that I want.

25. 2 Owls macrumors regular

For the rumors to make even the tinyest bit of snese it would be 7" iPad mini in september not iPad 3.
    My iPad 2 will be ordered as soon as it is announced.