iPad 3 to Arrive This September?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Even though Apple hasn't yet even announced the 2nd generation iPad, we are already hearing the first rumors of the 3rd generation iPad. Those rumors seem to suggest that Apple is planning on accelerating the iPad's release cycle with the 3rd generation model arriving as early as this fall (September).

The buzz started when Daring Fireball's John Gruber mentioned that the new HP tablet may run up against the iPad 3's launch:
If my theory is right, they’re not only going to be months behind the iPad 2, but if they slip until late summer, they might bump up against the release of the iPad 3.
Gruber has been known to casually mention insider knowledge which he admits. In this case, however, he follows up to say that this iPad 3 comment was simply a guess, and not based on any actual knowledge. He gives his reasoning for such a quick turnaround between revisions:
Thus, my gut feeling is that Apple will move the iPad to a September release schedule, alongside the iPods. But they wouldn’t want to wait over a year and a half from the announcement of the original iPad to announce the second one — not with these stakes, and not with so many serious competitors trying their best to catch up.
While that may have been the end of it, TechCrunch claims claims that they have independently heard that Apple will indeed be revising the iPad this fall:
We’ve now heard that this “fall surprise” is related to this would-be iPad 3. We don’t have any more concrete information beyond that. But, as of right now, the plan is apparently to release one iteration of the iPad in the next few weeks. And then blow the doors open with another new version in the fall.
Apple typically refreshes their product lines in predictable patterns. The new iPhone tends to be announced around WWDC of each year, while the iPod line is refreshed around September. This has been the first year of the iPad, so everyone is expecting them to follow a yearly pattern around April. It seems Apple is following that timeline for the first revision, but may end up changing those rules this fall.

Article Link: iPad 3 to Arrive This September?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was tiptoeing around getting iPad 2 because I wanted to see the changes but if I only have to wait a few more months and a time a year that I have more discretionary income I might have to wait.

mdgm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2010
Well if you don't need to buy now you should at least wait for the iPad 2. If the iPad 2 is sufficient for your needs then I wouldn't wait for the iPad 3.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
iPad 4 by January 2012? iPad 5 by April 2012? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

An iPad without a "Retina Display" would still be quite nice if it had at least 720p.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
What the? That would be so strange to release a new version of an expensive product 6 months after the iPad 2. Why take a year to slightly bump the specs and then 6 months for what, a retina display? This makes no sense.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
One of the great strengths of the Android Model is availability more up-to-date hardware, so this may be the only way Apple can respond to the impending slaughter.

Don't know if it will work though.

funone0

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Debating

With this information I am now debating whether or not I should buy the iPad 2:confused:

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
This is ridiculous. Apple will probably announce iPad 2 within the next month or two and it will most likely ship in the summer or get delayed or something like that. iPad 3 is 2012.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
One of the great strengths of the Android Model is availability more up-to-date hardware, so this may be the only way Apple can respond to the impending slaughter.

...impending slaughter...

Thanks for the laugh... a good belly laugh is good for the soul :D

ajallen125

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I doubt this will happen. I recall a bunch of rumors last summer/fall suggesting iPad 2 would be out before Christmas. These early release rumors always seem to be wrong. If there is a fall 2011 release, it will be the iPad 2, not 3. The iPad 1 still sells. Apple will likely ride that wave into the fall, possibly even slashing the price on the original soon to fend off the new competition. This seems like a much better business decision considering the cost of a new launch, then another 6 months later.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca

Also a downfall in my book. At least with an Apple product I can get the latest and greatest with their yearly refresh cycles. With Android you can expect multples products being released within a quarter. Not only that, but if the tablets are anything like the phones than I'll end up stuck waiting a year before, if ever, they upgrade it to the newest Android OS! Don't get me wrong, I've owned several Android phones and very much so liked them but the software updates irked me. A lot.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
what?!!

ipad september?! que?

and 2 tech analysts support it? it would fit in with the ipods. and would leave april open to MacBooks? hmm? still pretty far fetched. there will be tons of people on this thread saying that there is no way that this will happen, but I somewhat believe it

redstar749

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
This is ridiculous. Apple will probably announce iPad 2 within the next month or two and it will most likely ship in the summer or get delayed or something like that. iPad 3 is 2012.
My thoughts exactly. This makes NO sense. I was getting all excited about the iPad 2- now i'm wondering if I should wait. OH THE DRAMA! lol!

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
This is just wishful thinking for the people that are holding off for the iPad 3
COME ON!! We don't even know what the iPad 2 is going to bring yet. Also It doesn't make sense for Apple to Update the iPod and iPad at the same event.
By releasing the iPad around the January-April time frame gives apple the advantage to make a slight change in hardware before the keynote just to make the next-gen iPad better then the tablets we see at CES. I have been waiting over a year for an iPad and I am going to get the iPad 2 the day it comes out. I'm sick of waiting.
I recall there was rumors about the iPad 2 coming out around fall also. Did it happen? No. This is the same case

"When you keep waiting for better technology you will never get the device you want, You will just keep waiting" (I made this up)

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Not gonna happen...

Apparently the 'fall surprise' will be software related. Most likely, iOS 5 which, I guess, will give your iPad 2 an iPad 3-ish feel...
;)

RTP.