Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
I wonder....if Apple were to use this, why didn't they buy Senseg? If the iPad 3 were released with this technology, what would be stopping Samsung from grabbing that technology right after Apple's keynote.

Don't focus too much on Senseg. As you can see in my first post, Disney has developed a similar technology. But much more interesting is what TaKashMoney pointed out: Apple itself holds a patent on such technology since April 2009 (!)
http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._haptic_feedback_for_multi_touch_devices.html
This means they are at least investigating on this for the last 3 years, probably a little longer. Here are some quotes from the Patent:

"Research has shown that providing the multi-touch surface with the ability to provide physical (haptic) feedback makes the multi-touch experience even more efficient and realistic to the user"
"For example, physical keyboards provide a physical indication (a bump, for example) indicative of the home key. This physical sensation can not be provided by a conventional multi-touch system thereby forcing the user to visually locate the home key thereby making keyboard use less efficient and fatiguing."

So now we know that Apple is obviously interested in haptic feedback. And since the patent is 3 years old, it should be mature enough by now.

This also goes along with what maclook figured out:
Maybe that explains why all their new apps have that fake material texture. The CNET video is interesting when he's feeling concrete, leather, etc.

I think the one factor that matters to Apple isn't cost or battery life. It's just how good/realistic it performs.

Apple is always planning everything way ahead, and since they've known that someday they will implement haptic feedback in their devices, they already started giving every app it's unique feel.

Last edited:

the-colombian

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
2 mayor feature updates on one release? Doubt it, maybe better screen this time and they might get u to buy again next year with this.

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
2 mayor feature updates on one release? Doubt it, maybe better screen this time and they might get u to buy again next year with this.

I'll just repeat what newdeal said:

this would be the only feature they could add that would keep android manufacturers behind the curve for another year. Specs wise they can release a tablet next month that will be better than the iPad in some way but this requires software to make it work which Apple could do and Google could also but it would taken them forever to implement

With higher resolution, and better guts they are getting more or less just on a par with the competition. When Android and Windows 8 tablets have FullHD displays, faster quad core CPUs, more RAM and even lower price tag, average Joe isn't going to buy the iPad. And with a Windows 8 Pad he is even getting a fully fledged PC replacement.
But Haptic feedback, that would even get Android fanboys to buy an iPad.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

With higher resolution, and better guts they are getting more or less just on a par with the competition. When Android and Windows 8 tablets have FullHD displays, faster quad core CPUs, more RAM and even lower price tag, average Joe isn't going to buy the iPad. And with a Windows 8 Pad he is even getting a fully fledged PC replacement.

totally true. i have investigated alot in this matter, but still think the chance is to low to even think about having this on the ipad 3. for ipad 4 i say the chance is higher then 50%.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC

Yes but the same stuff has been said over and over and not just the iPad but the iPod and iPhone too and is yet to happen.
The eco system that Apple has build for the iDevices will always trump all that other stuff.
I mean look you can buy stuff for the iDevices in a Gas stations bathroom.

GnillGnoll

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
How drastically would this affect iOS coding?
They'd likely give standard interface elements (buttons, sliders, lists, etc.) a default haptic behavior, so most developers wouldn't have to do anything. For customised feel I would expect some kind of image based API, where variations in brightness or color get translated into surface roughness and friction.

Another possibility for this technology to automatically work with all applications would be to base it on visible screen contents by default. It would probably work well most of the time, and could be overridden where it doesn't.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Um....what kinds of apps would need tactile functions? It's definately gimmicky...

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Um....what kinds of apps would need tactile functions? It's definately gimmicky...

What I said in the first post:

For example in Garageband, you could really feel the instruments, feel the friction of knobs and sliders.
In a painting software you would feel the paint, when writing stuff you would feel the keys of the keyboard. In games you would get a sense where the buttons and sticks (circlepads) are without having to look. In iBooks you would really get the sensation of turning paper pages. In combination with AppleTV you'd have the perfect gaming controller (and mic for Siri) because you could feel the buttons displayed on the iPad and so on. You get the point.
This kind of technology makes the experience so much more immersive and graspable. It's the missing link between touch displays and the user.

If Apple wants to dominate the TV market, they have to compete with Xbox and Playstation. With a tactile display you would have the perfect gaming controller. Developers could adjust buttons just as needed and the user would not have to look at the display to know where to press. Thats really important for TV gaming. And they could give you other feedback for the game. For example the circlepad pulsating in the heart frequency of you character, indicating health. Or buttons disappearing entirely if you can't use a specific feature.

Last edited:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Maybe on the ipad 4. They are already upgrading the screen resolution. No reason to add to the cost/difficulty on this round when they already have a good reason to buy the newer model.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Great thought. But what about some AAPL call options? Whaddaya think?

I've already made a bundle off them in Feb but sold on Thursday. I think they will drop on announcement day but make no mistake, I'm buying on the dip.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
No way in hell this will happen with the iPad 3.

The "touch" reference could mean anything

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
A touchscreen bezel would make more sense at this time. The added ease of use and functionality of such a feature underlines its potential for success.

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Those of you who believe the "and touch" refers to physically touching the iPad 3 (i.e. holding in your hands) haven't been Apple fans long enough. Its almost a slap in the face to Apple's creativity and marketing. Way too "dumbed down"... Apple likes to tease.:cool:

The iPad is something we've already been "touching" for the past 2 years. Why bring that up now? I think retina display on the iPad 3 is/has been a given ever since it debuted on the iPhone 4.

Here is my take (if invites could talk)...

Apple: Yeah, you knew retina display was coming to iPad... we've even placed it on our invite... you have to see it in person. It's gorgeous. Oh and btw, we have something you should really touch as well.

If Apple wants to wow this Wednesday... look out for the "One More Thing."

That should send Apple stock through several more roofs...

EDIT: Also think of all the things Apple is doing with iPad and education... the arts... responsive screen would be killer. The banner at Yerba Buena Center for the ARTS does feature paint splatters... maybe they have a deeper meaning this time. Look for an art app demo... :p

Last edited:

DenisAuermann

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
San Salvador, El Salvador
Wow

Let's Analyze this:

-Apple has had patents for tactile displays since April 2009

-This technology has been around for some time, and its fully functioning

-The tactile display was being used in a pretty thin tablet just like the iPad

-So far from the hardware leaks of the iPad 3 there hasn't been anything indicating why it will be thicker.(the screen in thinner actually)

-Retina display is not a new technology. It will be for the iPad 3 however they are just porting the same technology to a bigger display

-Later this year quad core tablets with hi-res screens would be introduced

-Apple invites read " We have something you really have to see. And touch. Everyone knows the iPad is a touch device. Retina display would give you a awesome hi-res screen but what about touch, the touch factor hasn't changed, i mean nothing about the touch has changed why make it obvious.
But if they do implement this technology, it will be a completely new experience. You will have a hi- res screen that gives feedback back to you as you interact with it. Hence the invite. You REALLY have to see it and you REALLY have to touch it since you cannot express something like tactile display, you have to TOUCH IT to understand.

Well this is fun, haha i hope no one takes this seriously but will def have an answer in 3 days. So far it just guessing :).

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
I'd like it if the iPad 3 would respond to touch pressure, it would make painting apps that much more functional.

Apples patent for haptic feedback also describes that it would be able to detect the amount of pressure applied to it, and would even provide haptic feedback appropriate to that pressure. :)

edlsen

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Anybody else wonder if the OP is a plant? What if it was a controlled leak just to get everyone talking about a new feature that no one had seen coming?

The OP joined on February 28. Just sayin'

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Regardless of what is said in this forum. If Apple released this tech with zero speculation and no one asking for it. This would be a shocker and would be a huge blow to android as it would take them time to catch up.

I was hoping for a edge to edge screen. This would allow for a bigger screen in the same package. Also some nice wow factor. Hoping for iPad 4 or 5

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Anybody else wonder if the OP is a plant? What if it was a controlled leak just to get everyone talking about a new feature that no one had seen coming?

Um..no. As soon as I read what the invitation to the event said (sth you need to see and touch) I thought of tactile feedback. It is a feature that many people miss when typing on iPad, so they stick to laptops to type anything. So the OP has a good conclusion.

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012

Haha, well I only joined the forum to share my theory with you, thats right, but I have to disappoint you, I'm not an Apple employee. Unfortunately. But thanks for the compliment. :)
And if I were one, I would have done a pretty crappy job by now, because I tipped this to all major tech/apple blogs and not a single one is catching on.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Zweimeter, did you read my last post on page 2? or anyone else?
Maybe good to put in post 1 of yours...
EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCqlYKRlAA
here's a bit(probaly) false hope for you guys :)
quote from video:
the first step is to find that visionary device manufactor to bring this technology to the market.
We're having very positive conversations with the leaders in the field
Placed this year. Maybe he was not allowed to speak about it :D

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012

Actually, I saw it coming. But I had forgotten about it.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Haha, well I only joined the forum to share my theory with you, thats right, but I have to disappoint you, I'm not an Apple employee. Unfortunately. But thanks for the compliment. :)
And if I were one, I would have done a pretty crappy job by now, because I tipped this to all major tech/apple blogs and not a single one is catching on.

You've certainly got all of us here buzzing with excitement but if i was to be honest I think we may be in for a disappointment. We're just super-hyped right now.

This tactile tech and Siri seem to be taking control in different directions but I cant get the 'And touch' reference out of my mind. What could it mean?! 3 more long, long days to go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.