iPad 3 to Have 'Truly Amazing' Screen

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a report from AllThingsD earlier today claiming that Apple will introduce the iPad 3 in the first week of March, The New York Times is now weighing in with its own sources corroborating claims of a faster processor and a "truly amazing" screen in a package nearly identical in appearance to the iPad 2.
    The claims line up with a number of previous rumors about the iPad 3's improvements, with a high-resolution display being one of the most highly-anticipated upgrades for the new device. Earlier today, photos of a Sharp display claimed to be for the iPad 3 also surfaced, although the screen's resolution can not be verified from the photos.

[​IMG]

Side-by-side comparison of iPad 2 and claimed iPad 3 displays (Source: iLab Factory)

Indications that the iPad 3 will be nearly identical in appearance to the iPad 2 are also supported by recent photo leaks showing the rear shell of the device inside and out.

Article Link: iPad 3 to Have 'Truly Amazing' Screen

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

We seem to be getting all the iPad 3 rumors out of the way in one day here! What more can we possibly learn about this from now to the beginning March??

3. Liquinn Suspended

I'm going to wait until the iPad 5.

Yeah, sure thing.

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Interesting. So does this being a Sharp screen mean their fancy new-fangled IGZO screen technology worked out and we won't have a dual light bar setup?

For those interested

https://www.semiconportal.com/en/archive/news/main-news/sharp-to-introduce-new-igzo-te.html

And for the nerds

This means the transistors can be much smaller and move the same amount of current, hence the above. E

6. backinblack875 macrumors 6502a

backinblack875

"who did not want to be identified because Apple is not fond of leaks."

haha smart guy

7. hundleton1 macrumors 6502

lets be honest, nothing posted has been an surprise, you can predict better CPU and screen, the screen is almost a given for the 3, nothing really sup rising here, you can almost guarantee that apple with keep the 2 and drop the price and use the 3gs - 4 model and sell both.

not rocket science

8. bTaryag macrumors member

Apple is smart enough to realize that in order for an increase in screen resolution to work well, they must quadruple the amount of pixels. Anything less would either mean that old apps won't be full screen or will have to be scaled and won't look clear.

9. Fazzy macrumors 6502

I wonder if the ipad 3 will be an ipad 2 with a higher res display?

10. jwhite878 macrumors regular

Enough foreplay. Let's get this thing out already.

11. Mr Fusion, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012

Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

"Truly amazing..."? Now that Steve's gone I have to get my crappy superlatives from generic "Apple employee" guy?

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not really. He took a huge risk in revealing as little as he did, for no gain to him really.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

Maybe Apple should sell iPad assembly kits since all the parts are available before launch lol.

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I was just wondering what the incentive would be to make a comment like this.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

The iPhone 4S Retina screen is sharp, but one thing I've been disappointed with is the black levels, and this includes the current iPad screens. The black level is very high (i.e. what should be "black" is actually "gray"). This reduces color saturation and contrast and is very noticeable in darkened lighting situations (for example, try reading an iBook in the dark with the "night" theme and turning the screen brightness down). Some of this is backlight leakage around the screen edges and some may just be the nature of the LED technology they're using. Would really love to see closer to true blacks on these screens.

And, it would also be great if you could somehow color calibrate these screens, they tend to ship too blue out of the factory, as most screens do. As iPads are being used for more complex applications, the need for better color criticality is increasing. iPads are increasingly being used for content creation and display. For example, showing clients your photographs or artwork. Obviously you want your work to look as good as possible, something Apple should understand. A lot of people won't need to or want to calibrate their iPad screen, but it would be great for Apple to open a way to do it you you are someone who wants or needs that functionality. Even downloading a separate color calibration app would be fine with me, and Apple doesn't even need to create it, they just need to provide the API for it and storing those settings.

16. 314631 macrumors 6502a

John Gruber essentially confirmed Retina display, A6 processor and more RAM on his Talk Show podcast this afternoon. It will look the same as iPad 2 with current accessories and cases compatible.

17. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Tim Cook: "Jony, check it out, I made a couple of anonymous calls and it's already on Mac Rumors"!

18. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I'd be happy with only 4G LTE and a screen that is not YELLOW tinged, which my last 3 iDevices were. Retina and faster would just be bonuses. And yeah, throw in 128 GB for the ultimate.

Tony

19. 50548 Guest

It's been a long time since I last heard about leaks coming directly from Apple employees...this is either due to SJ's passing or just a plain invention...I call foul on this one.

20. WLS macrumors 65816

we need a good leak as to what kind of camera it has.. just "better" doesn't do it for me.

21. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Seems to me that Apple does leak from time-to-time. Anyone at Apple with the clearance to see the device, and willing to speak to the press, may be doing so for a tactical reason.

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I was just wondering what the incentive would be to make a comment like this.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It damn well better have a retina display. Right now, I have $700 held back for an iPad. The only reason I haven't gone out and bought an iPad 2 is because of all the rumors surrounding the iPad 3. If it doesn't have retina, I'll be soooo maaaaad. :mad:

"What we meant by 'amazing screen' is that the colors are, like, really good. I mean look at these colors!. They're really good"!

....soooo maaaaad :mad:

24. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's true. I am curious as to what they will do in the camera department for this revision.