iPad 3 - Wish List

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Great Boony, Mar 11, 2011.

1. The Great Boony macrumors regular

I'm looking forwad to this.

What would you like to be included?

I'm hoping for:

Retina Display
    8MP Camera front and back
    2GB memory
    128GB solid state
    Maybe a quad core?

2. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

This is a joke right? Come on man... we haven't even gotten the "2" yet.

3. The Great Boony thread starter macrumors regular

The 2's pretty old news now isn't it?

What would you like in the iPad 3?

4. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

2 is already done. I agree with the OP, except for SSD. Flash drive works just as well, if not at a lower power than SSD. also, it'll help minimize the cost. THe point of each successive ipad is to keep the cost the same, especially over the next year when an onslaught of capable/less buggy Android tablets hit the market.

I'd also like to see more OSX elements in iOS. A file system for instance. With more processing power and more RAM affords a future ipad the ability to do more than just browse the web and use simple apps. Have it replace the Air or a MB. The new Dell is an example, although failed one. I do believe the next gen tablets will replace notebooks/netbooks if they can figure out an elegant solution for storing a keyboard (AND USB/TB/SD/DisplayPort slots). Obviously a dock would work, but I'm thinking of an on the go solution (like the zaggmate, but more stable). Having ports on a docking station or on the keyboard would obviously mean iOS has a real file system for doing real work (file i/o, processing, etc). That dream may be realized about 2-3 years down the road though. Apple isn't known for revolutionizing their own products. Ipads 3 and 4 will be evolutionary speed bumps.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

what you need 8 megapixel camera on the tablet for?

6. The Great Boony thread starter macrumors regular

What's the point in having someone under 1mp?

7. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

8. seajay96 macrumors 6502

it serves the purpose for which it was intended without jacking up the price.

Now, that being said, if they can keep the price exactly the same without skimping somewhere else, then of course a better camera would be welcome.

9. DrupNL macrumors newbie

DrupNL

I guess iPad 3 will have a retina display en 1GB of memory. Storage will be the same as well as the dual-core.
    What i'm really hoping is that the price will be at the same level!

Let us first enjoy the iPad 2...

10. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I'm holding off on buying the iPad2 simply because it lacks the one feature that would compel me to upgrade -- Increased Resolution (Retina).

I knew when i bought 1 that it would be at least until 3 that we saw an increase in resolution. Here's hoping I guessed right.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No. Answer the question before you ask one. You don't read.. do you?

1Mp camera is there because

1. Not many people will use it to take still photos.
    2. iPad is too heavy to replace your digital camera.

8 megapixel makes no sense at this point. It will only drive up the cost.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display Retina Display

13. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Buy ipad 2 now and enjoy the most of it.. This is a stupid thread.. You look like an idiot you want 8 megapixel camera. Nowadays the small camera the better. Now if your main reason for 8megPixel is to have it as your main camera I'm so sorry to you. You are an idiot.

You think you are cool taking pictures with gigantic device?

14. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

i hate kids starting this threads all the time.

Retina display wont happen until we have better battery, such a high res display requires alot of power.

2gb of memory? this is not desktop pc, that require 1gb of memory just to work, ios leaves such a small footprint. stop talking about things you have no clue about.

8mp camera? buy the next xoom.

15. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

If I had to pick a single thing I'd like to see on the next iPad, it'd be a higher resolution display.

Have you ever looked at a Netflix stream on your iPhone 4 and compared it to your iPad? :) Some people will tend to prefer the stream on the iPhone...it's that much better even though it's only 3.5" vs 9.7" on the iPad.

And if we're talking about higher resolution, we might as well talk about whether or not we prefer 16:9 ratio in order to get the most out of our media content, or if we prefer simply higher resolution with the same aspect ratio.

The A5 w/GPU can handle the higher resolution. We just need a battery that will fit in the small form factor to be able to carry it off, and we need to make sure we have worked out the economics of a very high resolution, high quality display that will work in devices that are designed to sell in the $499 - $829 price points.

16. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

it won't drive up the cost. 8mp sensors are dirt cheap.

In the workforce, I could see a better camera being used.

- It could take reference photos.
    - Police booking. Have the ipad as your hub for booking info. take a picture of the perp and have it automatically get embedded in the booking app.
    - Architecture/contracting snapshots placed in a form.
    - Real estate agents putting a house on the market. Snapshots embedded within an app form which the agent submits to put the house on the market.
    - Doctor's office or hospital. Same.. app integration.
    - Inspectors. App form, using photos as evidence of compliance or violations.
    - Car/homeowners insurance adjustors
    - Police investigations/traffic stops

There's more, but you get the picture. It could be used anywhere you have a workplace app and a visual is needed. It would be quicker than trying to move images from a phone to the ipad for integration of the image into an online form/app. With the ipad's size, it would make it easier to work a larger, more information-rich app than on an iphone/droid.

17. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I am certain the iPad will eventually receive a Retina Display but keep things in perspective. The original reason it was included on the iPhone is make tiny text on the iPhone more legible (less pixelated). The iPad screen is much larger than the iPhone so legibility is less of an issue.

Increasing the resolution on the iPad without proportionate increases in the resolution of graphics used by apps will net little benefit (beyond extremely small text). When larger Retina Displays are offered, I am certain it will be hailed with much fan fair though it is not really necessary.

18. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

To really make 8mp work for you, though, you'll also need good, solid optics. That'll add a couple of dollars.

If you've never seen what the Nokia N8 can do with its Zeiss optics, you should take a look. It's 12mp...and it has great optics.

We wouldn't have to go as far as Nokia did, but to get something really decent for still photos and 8mp, we will need good hard items, not just a sensor.

19. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Theres much ground between 1MP and 8MP. If, like most people, you have an iPhone that takes high-resolution photos and a separate digital camera, why is it necessary also to have your ebook reader also take high-res photos? The main reason for including the cameras is for Face Time. Eight MP is not required to say "Hi."

Having said that, 3MP or 5MP is not unrealistic for the rear camera on the iPad 3.

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

high res display, unlikely OLED
    same camera or marginally better, certainly not 8MP
    LED Flash
    No quadcore but slightly improved CPU/GPU
    1 GB Ram
    128GB max
    4G
    support for thunderbolt (through adapter)
    iOS5
    no homebutton, replaced by gesture or a sensor where the home button was
    better speaker (maybe 2 speakers)
    improved Battery life
    same size/weight

21. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

BUY.
    A.
    LAPTOP.

Your "ideas" are so far off base from what a TABLET is that I can't even formulate a response. I'm literally shaking my head.

22. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

Discounting it because you have no imagination? No need to act pissy about it and not comprehend how to construct a response. Sad.

your idea of what a tablet could be is so far off base, you should be shaking your head. I have 2 laptops, and they are used in production. Years ago, people would've spouted the same ignorant thoughts about laptops... BUY. A. DESKTOP. Now look at how powerful laptops are. So carry on. Tablets have been around for years, and now look what they've become, thanks to the ipad.

Think outside the box. Think of what the ipad CAN become. Use your brain.

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Why iPad 3 wishlist, oh hell, let's go for broke. I want an iPad 5 wishlist. Fingerprint recognition, 3D, 20 hour battery life, 4G connectivity, RFID. :D

24. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

You're asking for a Tablet with an integrated keyboard and peripheral ports. That already exists, and it's called a laptop.

And yes, if someone asked for a laptop that was in the shape of a big tower, with a separate keyboard and monitor (or not, iMac ;-)), I'd tell them to buy a desktop.

25. The Great Boony thread starter macrumors regular

What about a quad core then? that's reasonable