iPad 3G chock full of AT&T restrictions!

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
So far I have seen the following. Post any others you find here too. This is such a joke... Very sad... Very disappointing joke...

1. YouTube video quality is dumbed down and unwatchable
2. Guardian Eyewitness app requires wireless network to view photographs
3. ABC app requires wireless network

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
I don't understand what any of this has to do with AT&T.
It has everything to do with AT&T - they are absolutely substandard - their downstream rates and upstream rates are definitely NOT WORTH $30/month period.

I hate the networks here in the USA - over in Europe and in ASIA specifically, you get bandwidth that is on par or exceeds home broadband connection speeds and the price you pay isn't a rip like AT&T!

oren1

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Another reason to use iPad wifi only+iPhone+MyWi
That's of course if you have an iPhone.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
2. Guardian Eyewitness app requires wireless network to view photographs
WOW!! Never woulda guessed that!? That's weird.

As for the YouTube, I had totally expected that! I was waiting for someone to confirm it tho....

Can't wait till June when my AT&T contract is up. Seriously thinking about the HTC EVO that allows tethering :)

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
Not sure what the other places are like, but in Houston, TX the 3g speeds are just fine where I'm at. Youtube looks the same on 3g as it does on wifi. My guess is that it determines your network speed not just the type of network you are on before deciding your quality.

All good here in TX

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
And no one already knew this ?
I suppose some people did... and the vast majority didn't. I was aware of the YouTube quality, but am saddened to learn about the ABC app that's one I was planning to spend time with outdoors.

I feel like we're getting a "you get what you pay for" moment here with 3G internet... at $30 a month AT&T is substandard and placing restrictions on various things to their benefit. I think the Sprint portable WiFi device is, what, $49 a month?

What are the alternatives?

danpass

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2009
Miami, FL
I suppose a jailbreak will correct this.

My 3G wouldn't download stuff over 10mb when on 3G (neither with the 3GS).

When I jailbroke the 3G and tethered it there was no problem downloading anything, of any size, over the same 3G network.

I was very much underwhelmed with the jailbroken performance of the 3G and never bothered with my 3GS.

I'm still on 3.1.2 so that may change now with this new info :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Maybe I was the only one that did not expect great video service over AT&T 3G....

I look at 3G as being able to browse the web, check the news apps, see some picture sites, simple stuff....

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
initial signup with ATT

ATT won't take a PO Box for a billing address. They will on the iphone but no go on iPad. Had to change my billing address of 27 years.... now that's a pisser. :confused::eek::eek:

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
As always the proof is in the pudding

And your pudding may vary according to coverage area

Don't forget the other connection options

MyFi via jailbroken iPhone
Clear Spot 3G/4G clear.com
Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G
Sprint HTC EVO 4G Phone Mobile Hotspot
Verizon MiFi 3G

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
Another reason to use iPad wifi only+iPhone+MyWi
That's of course if you have an iPhone.
Or, the mifi ( either Verizon or sprint).

I travel all over the country for work, so I went with Verizon for the coverage. Plus I have my iPhone (3GS) for AT&T. I just like having the backup network when I travel.