iPad 4 is a dud!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cdmoore74, Oct 28, 2012.

1. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Every unit is still available for pre-order after 2 days. Looks like the iPad mini officially tarnished the granddaddy of tablets. Steve would have never released an inferior product that harms the sales of the original.

2. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Nice try. Just because it didn't sell out does not translate to dud. Even if you we're right, do you want a medal?

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I suggest a new forum rule. If you reference 'X would not have happened if Steve was still alive' you have something annoyingly obnoxious happen to you.

4. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Yes. I remember he was already dead when iPod mini launched. And there is no 13 macbook pro

5. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Agreed, "Steve never would have..." equates to clueless.

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

odd, i thought that steve jobs had already planned the next five years of apple products before he died... surely the iPad Mini was part of it too...

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes, but the decision to launch NOW instead of 6-9 months from now when they could put in better specs was all Tim's. Not that it was a bad decision, just sayin...

8. iBrody macrumors 6502

Wouldn't be surprised if the people trashing the 4th gen, are those who have opted for (or are looking to purchase) the Mini.

Everyone wants their purchase to be justified, so it seems convenient to trash the other option to make it the 'outsider' and to gain support from others.

Horses for courses, I will be using my 4th gen at home, and will be watching movies and transferring my photos to the device.

With it's non retina display I personally don't think the Mini would be a suitable option for viewing photos to their full potential, and from what I have seen, the Mini's screen is not really big enough to watch movies on.

I do like the look of the Mini (which was my only real consideration when choosing) and I would probably have had a harder time choosing one over the other if it had a retina display and A6X chip. But as it stands and aesthetics aside, I believe I made the right choice and I wouldn't have purchased the 4th gen if I thought it was merely a 'dud'!

9. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Shirley

maybe, but don't call me Shirley.

10. finnftw macrumors member

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. No slightest of clue what Steve would have done.

“If you don’t cannibalize yourself, someone else will” -Steve Jobs

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

They shouldn't have even launched a 4th gen they shoulda just changed the port and just put that out. People would have been less pissed

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wrong. People would have been pissed because they release a new model with JUST a new connector.

There's no pleasing some people. Apple is focused on the masses. The masses don't care. They want an iPad. Period.

13. Liquinn Suspended

True - I plan on putting lots of my Photoshop/photo editing work etc on it - that's why I opted for the iPad 4.

Besides this is the perfect time for me to upgrade my iPad 1 which is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I *might* get the iPad mini next year when it gets the retina display.

14. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Sounds more like sour grapes to me. There is no doubt that the 4 will not sell as fast as the three but just wait till the holiday season hits. The 4 has a long time to sell in number that would even make Steve look down and smile.

The mini will have its own following. Apple is just giving us more choices. It looks like Apple is changing it's sales strategy and we will be seeing more new devices and much quicker than we did in the past. Hope we see the iPhone 6 in Spring!

15. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

People watch movies on there iphone, how wouldn't the mini be suitable for watching movies?

16. iBrody macrumors 6502

Let me reiterate... as per my post (horses for courses et al), I personally don't think the Mini would be a suitable option...

and personally, I don't watch movies on my iPhone because the screen is way too small.

May as well go with the better screen.

*edit* I wasn't meaning to sound rude btw

17. mikejfrd macrumors regular

I think it's a fine update. What more do you want?? A faster processor was available, so why not put it in?? The A6 is a nice upgrade, I'm happy with it. If they took a full year to release it people would complain too. Can't win on here.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What he said. I agree and to prove it I ordered one to update from my iPad 3.

Lot's of computer companies release better specked hardware more than once a year.

19. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Yeah I understand what your saying, I'm one that pre ordered iPad mini but I'm also contemplating taking it back a getting iPad 4 if its not what I want.

20. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I walked into the Apple store on 3rd Gen release day about 10:30 where there was no line at all and purchased my black 32GB AT&T model. Seems like the 4th Gen is going to be the exact same.

There are just not lines for iPads like there are for iPhones.

21. BiigBiscuit macrumors member

How do you know this? Citation please.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, I hate to break it to you but Steve is no longer with Apple and Tim is the boss. It's called common sense.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I believe that Apples done the right thing.

Setting personal preferences aside, they've refreshed a lot of models in a relatively short period, in order to position the entire line of products properly for the upcoming holiday selling season.

It's a very smart move for Apple.

24. jigzaw macrumors 6502

The iPad 4 looks like it will be great. I'm very tempted to make it my first iPad. The mini is something I would've considered with Retina, but a low-rez screen in a tablet is a non-starter for me.

I would've ordered a 4 by now, but I'm hesitating because a lot of people still think there's going to be a major 5th generation ipad update in March. Honestly don't know what to do. I can hold out 'til March but if they've totally switched the update period to Fall then I'd jump in now. The last thing I want is to spend $700 and then 4 months later a better version for the same price is released when I could've easily waited those 4 months. And that's what we're talking about. Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. They should've named it the "iPad 4 Months".