Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OliverQt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
The iPad 8th Gen ships with a 20W USB-C charger and a USB-C to lightning cable. I'm using a PD analyzer to monitor the power usage of the iPad. It appears to not support the PD spec and therefore cannot take advantage of the 20W profile (9V, 2.22A). No matter the battery percentage of the iPad, it doesn't negotiate with charger and stays at 5V which limits it to a 15W profile. Does this iPad ship with a more capable charger than what it can support? Traditionally iPads ship with a charger with less capability than the iPad supports.

As a side note, any iPhone 8 or newer requests the 20W contract from this charger. It seems just the iPad 8 doesn't support it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPad 8th Gen ships with a 20W USB-C charger and a USB-C to lightning cable. I'm using a PD analyzer to monitor the power usage of the iPad. It appears to not support the PD spec and therefore cannot take advantage of the 20W profile (9V, 2.22A). No matter the battery percentage of the iPad, it doesn't negotiate with charger and stays at 5V which limits it to a 15W profile. Does this iPad ship with a more capable charger than what it can support? Traditionally iPads ship with a charger with less capability than the iPad supports.

As a side note, any iPhone 8 or newer requests the 20W contract from this charger. It seems just the iPad 8 doesn't support it.
Sounds the same as the iPad 7th gen then in terms of charging capabilities.

OliverQt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Sounds the same as the iPad 7th gen then in terms of charging capabilities.

It does sound just like the 7th gen. I guess it was a light refresh. Just surprising that a 20W charger was included when the iPad doesn't support it. I guess Apple is just getting their SKU count down by sharing this charger with the new Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.