Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 9.7-inch iPad Pro and the iPad Air 2 are the exact same size and thickness, measuring in at 9.4 inches by 6.6 inches by 0.24 inches (6.1mm), but Apple accessories designed for the iPad Air 2, such as the Smart Cover and the Smart Case, are not fully compatible with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

With the launch of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, Apple also released a line of Smart Covers specific to the new device, which are being sold alongside Smart Covers for the iPad Air and the iPad Air 2. Given that many people may already own an iPad Air Smart Cover, there was some question as to whether it would fit on the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

ipadprosmartcover-800x332.jpg

Because of the Smart Connector on the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, the magnet alignment in the Smart Cover is different, something an Apple representative confirmed to Macworld. For that reason, using the iPad Air Smart Cover with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is "not recommended."

As for the Smart Case designed for the iPad Air 2, while it may fit, it isn't designed for the Smart Connector, the rear flash, or the four speakers on the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, making it technically incompatible.

With Apple's own iPad Air accessories ill-suited for the new iPad Pro, it stands to reason other third-party cases and covers designed for the iPad Air and iPad Air 2 are also not going to work with the 9.7-inch tablet, requiring adopters to purchase new accessories.

Article Link: iPad Air 2 Smart Covers Not Recommended for 9.7-inch iPad Pro

YahonMaizosz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Step 1, add "Pro" to the moniker and charge $50-$100 more (DONE!)
Step 2, make all previous accessories obsolete so that people buy new original accessories from you (DONE!!)
Step 3, make the camera bump so that it justify buying cases for your iPad (DONE!!!)

What's next apple?

ramsfan09

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2016
Considering the outrageous price increase for the 9.7" Pro you better hold on to your hat for this new smart cover.

Technically, there was no price increase. They just got rid of the 16 GB version and start it at 32GB for $599 which is what the original iPad has been.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
It's a cruel move since most people won't use a Smart Connector.

I have a Pro 12.9 with Smart Keyboard. I like it but at $179 then it's too expensive and as a cover its too complicated. So I don't see $149 smart mini keyboard sales being high at all. So blocking cases is kinda evil.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I wish there were a case and smart cover combined. Paying for the two separately is so expensive! It's like they think people only want one side protected!

I do, I've never wanted a case on an iPad. I use a cover and that's it.

Of course if they did as you've suggested the price of that unified product would be equivalent to the sum of the two they have today.

(in before someone says it would cost more)

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I figured the new would be the same size as the old since they did not slice a pencil shorter with a laser this go around.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Considering the outrageous price increase for the 9.7" Pro you better hold on to your hat for this new smart cover.
How can their be a price increase on a product that didn't exist before?

It's a cruel move since most people won't use a Smart Connector.

I have a Pro 12.9 with Smart Keyboard. I like it but at $179 then it's too expensive and as a cover its too complicated. So I don't see $149 smart mini keyboard sales being high at all. So blocking cases is kinda evil.

So does the Air 2 cover not work at all or is it just "not recommended"?

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007

It's not outrageous price increase. In fact at $600 for 32gb of memory it's the exact same cost as the iPad Air was with 32GB of HDD.
Yes they should have started at 64GB but 32gb if fine for many people. And really it's $750 for 128GB, which is $50 cheaper then the 128GB iPad Air 2 was.
So where is the price increase?

Reactions: JonneyGee

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What a clever design. Ha! Hey, look if you got the bling to fritter away on a $900+ tablet then surely you have another $50 to give Uncle Tim for an impeccably designed smart cover. If not there are plenty of $10 "fakes" to come.

Honestly, I've been though every 9.7 iteration except the iPad 4. Cases never fit exact from one model to another. I kept my back cover from my Air even though it's a couple mm too deep and blocks the camera. I'm cheap when it comes to money-in-the-garbage cases so I don't mind. I'm sure other did mind and happily bought a new case. Tra. La. La. Life.

Reactions: tgara

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
Step 2, make all previous accessories obsolete so that people buy new original accessories from you (DONE!!)
Step 3, make the camera bump so that it justify buying cases for your iPad (DONE!!!)

What's next apple?

1: Yeah, that's all they did, nothing new inside.
2: Except they didn't do that. Most accessories are fine. Apart from the covers, what won't work?
3: Yeah, they should totally nobble the camera on the new 'Pro' device to keep it compatible with the old covers. Then we could complain about the 'Pro' moniker some more.

What's next? I don't know, but as long as it works with standard AA batteries, has a VGA port and a zip compartment for your coins, I'm sure you'll be happy.

As for my old iPad covers, I give them along with the old iPad. I thought the new user might like them.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007

What's next apple?
1 - as noted above the price didn't actually increase in comparison to the same size for the iPad Air and actually decreased for the 128GB iPad Air 2.
2 - it was specifically mentioned the magnets for the Smart Covers don't work. That make sense. When those were designed and located for the iPad Air 1 they were planning a 9.7" iPad Pro. Or at least didn't have the design set anywhere near stone so the fact that the new stuff for the Pro cause some of the magents to move isn't surprising.
And cases that don't uses the smart features or the magnets should work fine.
3 - for the most part, 3 party cases have cutouts big enough for the bump so this isn't really an issue.

Reactions: TMRJIJ

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
How can their be a price increase on a product that didn't exist before?

OK. If you are going to be pedantic, how about "more expensive than the line it replaces." Air 3, 9.7 Pro, what's in a name? Nothing other than it would have been an even tougher sell to jack up the price on an Air 3. There is nothing intrinsically "pro" about the "Pro." At best it's "prosumer."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.