All iPads iPad Air 2 - The dullest iPad Launch ever?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's time I got a new Tablet.

iPad Air 2, or perhaps some other nice model from elsewhere.

Naturally I'll wait now as things are so close, but you know what...... I'm really expecting this year's iPad revamp is going to be the dullest ever in iPad history.

No leaked parts, new case designs etc. I'm expecting the exact same case.

I'm not expecting any new size options.

All I can think of is:

25% ish faster in some things due to A8 CPU/GPU speed tweak.
    Touch iD
    Perhaps if we are lucky a little better camera, though probably not even up to last years iPhone quality.
    Perhaps some different memory option size.

And, to be honest, that's it.

Lucky to stretch that out to more than 5 mins and move onto something else they wish to show off

Is there any chance I'm wrong, and I'm going to be surprised?

2. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I agree with everything you have said and I think that's what they will show as well. I have the 3rd gen ipda (the disowned apple child). I would like a new iPad but I was thinking about waiting until the air 3 since I think it will be a big enough of an upgrade to justify it.

I think its time to start making the iPad more open, lets start to make it more like a computer and allow for things like file management, split screen apps etc. So I think that's one avenue they could go in with a hybrid operating system. But I highly doubt they would do this because it will most likely cannibalize MacBook air sales.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes yes. Totally agree with you.
    The way I see it is this............

Apple had success with the iPhone, and they developed to UI for the iPhone, and after a few years/revisions they tweaked and improved the UI for the iPhone and it's 4" display.

They then took a risk and made a tablet, with a VASTLY larger screen, but of course, as it was brand new, and at the time it could have died at birth, and been a total and utter flop, they did not want to risk vast time and money on a whole new User Interface.

Also, at the time, they knew people knew the simplistic UI designed for a 3.5" to 4" screen size. Simple icons on a backdrop.
    Apple knew it would be safe and simple to show a new device with the same UI so people would instantly feel at home.

This was a sensible move at the time. They pretty much just magnified an iPhone4 into an 10" version and called it a tablet.

It's a bit funny that, despite them ONLY doing this, they then told developers they did not want them to just magnify their iPhone apps for a 10" screen. which I feel is funny as that's pretty much all Apple did for the iPad's User Interface.

Anyway, that was year ago, the iPad sold well, and all is history and yay, a new product category was established, which is great.

What I think is sad, and such a shame is that Apple have since almost totally neglected the iPads user interface, thinking that Apple users would not be able to handle anything more advanced.

I think Apple users deserve more credit, and could do a LOT more with the iPad if Apple made the device Grow Up.

It's basically still just a large iPhone with a nicer screen and poorer camera and that makes me sad, knowing what such a device COULD be.

Let's be honest with ourselves.
    Starting from a blank sheet of paper, knowing nothing. If someone said to a company, even saying it to Apple.

Hey Apple, we have a screen of 10" in size.
    The screen has an amazing 2048x1536 resolution.

Design a productive, useful and up to date user interface for 2015 can you please.
    I don't believe they would say, well we will have a background picture for some wallpaper and we will put some BIG icons, spaced apart over the screen and a row of 5 often used ones at the bottom, and when you press one it opens the program and totally fills the screen.

Job Done.

As I say, sure, it was fine for iPad1 and understandable to copy the phone as it was playing it safe.

But come on, by now. 5? years later and onto iPad6 for 2015, this is all you can offer?

I always hope they will see what potential is has as a device and one day see it as more than just a really big phone.

One day, One day......

4. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

There's a few more things coming I think such as:

-Improved anti-reflection coating on the screen
    -Laminated Screen
    -Thinner profile
    -Possible 2GB Ram on iPad Air
    -Split screen mode on iPad Air
    -haptic screen technology (just kidding)

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipad/

5. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Well said again, I agree that it was smart to play it safe in the beginning, but I think its time for the iPad iOS to be more intuitive and more open.

My one guess is they are worried about macbooks, they want you to own all 3 including the phone tablet and laptop. If the tablet was more like mac a lot of people would not need a laptop.

I know for me, I have a desktop and I use it quite a bit because of things I cant do on a tablet, that are not very difficult. Look at the new Note that has split screen mode, an iPad cant even get this feature? c'mon!

6. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I think we are a long way off OSX on an iPad to threaten a MacBook.

I'm sure the iPad could 'Grow up' quite a bit, as a device in it's own right, and still not be in too much of a position to worry a MacBook, not any more than it currently does anyway.

The Split screen I would like as, at it's most basic, it's pretty impossible to chat to someone, say in yahoo, and say watch a youtube, or have a video running and look in safari at something.

It's all very awkward and clunky to keep swiping between full screens.

I have to be honest, and say, their 4:3 screen aspect ratio does not help for anything other then full screen. But I know this won't change.

7. whoiare macrumors regular

iPad Pro - thats going to be the big news. Not about options just about size

8. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I think we are gonna see an iPad Pro. I think that's the big news. Not sure if the air would get 2GB ram, if I were a betting man I would be leaning slighting towards no, maybe 60/40.

I also think there won't be a new iPad Mini this year.

Let's see who's right! :D

9. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I am more than willing to pay $2000 for the most basic option of iPad if the new one is more compatible with note-taking with stylus.
    I really hope they'd make this improvement.. Adding a better palm rejection or something like that would be perfect.

----------

Where are people getting this idea of ipad pro? I really hope they make this happen though.

10. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

When you say "iPad Pro"

You are talking about a different shape?
    Larger?
    A different case design at very least.....

Given we are just a few weeks away, any new iPad should be in production now.
    But we've seen nothing.

Which is why I'm thinking there is nothing.
    Same as now, just a few bits of new circuitry, Touch ID button, and perhaps camera. Nothing really to leak that would look any different.

Let's all hope I'm wrong :D

11. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Yes the 4:3 screen is starting to become a hinder to the ipad.

Something that I would love to see in the ipad but I know wont happen is having dual speakers that acutally face the front of the screen, I like to use my iPad to watch movies or listen to some music, and having one small speak on the back that is sending sound the opposite direction of where you are sitting seems a little counterintuitive

12. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh yes, I forgot about the joke of a speaker.
    Yes, it's the 2015 iPad Apple, how about Stereo please?
    And how about the speakers actually facing the viewer/listener as opposed to directing the sound sideways to the person sitting next to you instead.

It's not exactly rocket science stuff, but right now, I think it will be YEARS before Apple un-dig their heels on things like speaker placement.

Every time I say this, I'm told I should wear headphones and just accept the speaker is junk in a stupid place and live with it.
    It could be Sooooooooo much better with minimal design changes

13. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Right, what about the time you are with a friend or few friends and you want to show them a youtube video and no one can hear it. Headphones don't help for that.

14. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed.

I'm sorry to say it's the same thing we get on these forums so much, reluctance by many to question anything Apple do.

Apple do some amazing things, they also do some dumb things.

Normally when Apple don't do something it's the right choice by them not to do it, then the following year when the do the opposite, that is then deemed to be correct also.

But those are silly people and I should do my best to ignore them, but it's hard,

I simply wish the iPad to get better and better.
    At the moment, I can walk into a store, look at the iPad Air, made 5? years after my iPad 1, and it's the same dam device :(

Yes, it's thinner, faster and a more detailed screen, but fundamentally it's not moved on since it was launched :(

Makes me sad, as I'm 100% sure, if, when we all had iPad 1 models, you had asked people what Apple's Tablet would have advanced into, in another 5 years time, they would mostly have speculated it, by 5 years into the future would have evolved into something better than what is is today.

It's like it's never been allowed to grow up and still stuck in kindergarten

15. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

What ratio would you prefer? I think 4:3 is one of the best features of the iPad's but I'm a portrait guy.

16. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I think it's foolish to judge a product launch before the press date is even set.

They may include a new A8X chip with 2GB of RAM, split screen multitasking, etc. I expect them to further differentiate the iPad now that the iPhone has reached "phablet" size.

17. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

How about 2:3 as a compromise?

Just give it that little extra, just enough to make side by side that little easier.

Really 3:2 would keep most happy I'd think.
    It only adds about 1/3rd the amount to the end of an iPad that 16:9 would do.

So, in portrait mode it would hardly be noticeable.
    Would allow video/movies to be a little larger.
    and, as I say, just give that little extra to stop split screen feeling quite so squashed, without going to the extreme of 16:9 that most people don't want.

18. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I almost never use it in portrait mode but it's a much bigger tablet. I know it's a personal preference thing but IMAO I think it was a big mistake for the PC industry adopting 16:9.

19. Adam-Jobs, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

I've got an iPad 3 and have had constant wifi issues since day 1. Looking forward to upgrading.

20. crashoverride77, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

But it's a tablet and not a PC. Also these big icons you open are called apps and are what the software world is all about and will be for a while.
    Microsoft tried with a very advanced tablet, they are called surface pro and are by now in their 3rd generation. People seem to not like them and sales reflect that, I wonder why.
    Of course we could argue certain features such as splitscreen...

21. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, 16:10 would be nice on a PC/Mac

You have separate windows and need to place them around the screen.

Actually saying that, I am actually toying, at some point in buying a 21:9 monitor for my PC :)

As I love screen space and don't like the black line down the middle of a dual monitor setup.

but we're not talking tablets here, and whilst people wish to use them in both orientations, then the aspect ratio of a tablet is always going to have to be a compromise

22. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

I just dont think its ideal for movies, but yes I agree 4:3 is nice for most other things like reading books or comics.

23. srshaw macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 3. It works perfectly well and have zero interest in upgrading to the current iPad air.

I think its time apple moved the bar with the iPad. When I get my new iPhone 6 plus, I think my ipad will get less use (to be fair I use the iPad quite a bit for browsing etc)

I'm hoping for an iPad with a bigger screen, and perhaps added functionality so that you can use it more as a computer rather than just essentially a big iPhone. I think it is with tablets where android really has the edge with the ability to attach usb storage, store files etc. I'd love a iOS/osx hybrid. It must be getting to the point where energy efficient mobile processors can now run proper operating systems. I'd like to see the iPad become a light macbook rather than a big iPod touch.

24. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Wow piggie all you do is complain about the iPad. If you don't like it get surface, everyone like those!!:eek:

25. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

There is nothing wrong with wanting more.

I like the iPad, never had any issue, other than Safari crashes all the time now on any heavy web page.

I just look at my iPad1. Look at the iPad Air in the store, and sigh, that after 5 years it's the same dam thing.

Nothing fundamentally is any different

Hell even it is have nice stereo front facing speakers I'd jump for joy as it's a real change and I'd buy one, but I'd buy an air now, and feel I've just got the same thing really