Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
And that is exactly why I'm in NO hurry to upgrade the Pad.

The benchmark results are impressive, but the bottom line is that the iPad air was also up to XX% faster than the iPad 4, but despite some minor differences in the application launch speed, both the iPad 4 and iPad Air lagged under iOS 7, so this clearly points to system level optimisation that apple doesn't seem to be interested in doing. And that's a shame.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Maybe he doesn't want to use a bungled UX that looks like trash... Why anyone would get a Surface Pro when they could have a MacBook Air for the same price is beyond me.
To make a MacBook Air anywhere near respectable you have to max it out, making it more expensive than the Pro.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
A lot of you are getting snowed by the very positive headline.

Most generational improvements in the single core benchmark have been on the order of 2x or 100%. This generation is a mere 23% improvement. That's generally what I would consider bad.

Single core performance history

iPhone 4 - 207
iPhone 4S - 215 (but dual core)
iPhone 5 - 710
iPhone 5S - 1400
iPhone 6 - 1609

Single core performance matters a lot more than adding a third core. It's a given that the multi core benchmark is going to do gangbusters with an extra core, but the fact is that most normal apps won't have much of a reason to use a third core. I'm still glad they added the core, but I'd much rather have seen a true generational leap in performance.

It's not "bad"; it's exactly what it looks like. The only reason to go and add more cores is if there aren't any more reasonable avenues to getting better single core performance. Apple has clearly reached that point with this generation, so it makes sense to add that extra core. That said most of us would still be happy even if the CPU performance were just the same as the A8 with dual cores, as long as the GPU was a huge improvement for games and such (which it looks like it's going to be).

RedBanana

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Single core performance matters a lot more than adding a third core. It's a given that the multi core benchmark is going to do gangbusters with an extra core, but the fact is that most normal apps won't have much of a reason to use a third core. I'm still glad they added the core, but I'd much rather have seen a true generational leap in performance.

Back in 2011 maybe. Times change.

Games, video, the OS, it is all multi core and using all of them. Only the odd flat screen menu based app might be using just two but iOS8 is doing a hell of a lot more in the background nowadays using those other cores.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
A lot of you are getting snowed by the very positive headline.

Most generational improvements in the single core benchmark have been on the order of 2x or 100%. This generation is a mere 23% improvement. That's generally what I would consider bad.

Single core performance history

iPhone 4 - 207
iPhone 4S - 215 (but dual core)
iPhone 5 - 710
iPhone 5S - 1400
iPhone 6 - 1609

Well, I guess it all depends on what you're upgrading FROM. I'm moving from an iPad 3, so in 31 months:

Single-core went from 260 -> 1812 (6.97x increase)
Multi-core went from 492 -> 4477 (9.09x increase)
Weight went from 660g -> 444g (31% decrease)
Thickness went from 9.4mm -> 6.1mm (35% decrease)

Those are incredible improvements - in under 3 years - all while also improving LTE speed, WiFi speed, display quality ... while keeping the same battery life ... while decreasing cost by $100!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Assuming this is an accurate number and not just a bunch of people getting worked up about a fake Geekbench submission, what's perhaps most impressive is that the iPad is no longer very far behind the current-model MacBook Air in CPU speed, and is comparable to the high-end 2011 models.

Which, when you take into account the CPU cost difference, and the fact that Apple is using their own tech, is really something. More so when you factor in the added efficiencies of iOS for a lot of tasks due to the decreased overhead--it often feels faster even with a substantially slower CPU.

Not saying I'm expecting to see an A-series chip in a Mac quite yet, but the gains Apple (and to a lesser degree the rest of the Arm world) are impressive.

With 16% drop in iPad sales, apple will care even less about iPad optimization, if that was even possible
I know--I mean, 12 million iPads and $5.4 billion of revenue? Why would they even pay attention to tiny numbers like that? It's not like they sell twice as many of them as they sell Macs.

Oh, wait...

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
That's it. I'm moving to Android.

Just kiddin'. I actually might be buying an iPad Air 2. :p It seems to be a pretty mature, "future-proof" device now, given that even the last gen iPad Air looks plenty powerful enough right now, for the next few years at least. Remember folks, hardware technology is developing at a greater pace than what software engineering is normally able to utilize.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Wow. Do you even understand Microarchetecture? No it isn't some sort of big conspiracy. Please stopping believing that BS.

Who needs to understand microarchitecture? All we need to know is that Tim Cook snaps his fingers and the most powerful chips known to mankind appear in front of him. No R&D, no manufacturing costs, nothing! Did I forget, they have zero impact on battery life! He just selfishly decides to hold back the chips to make more money. Greedy jerk.

:rolleyes:

correct. It's just that the apple fanbois are being purposely obtuse when it comes to multitasking that customers are asking for.

Nobody is being obtuse. Why wait for Apple to deliver the multitasking you want when Microsoft is already doing that? Surely there's no reason to stay with Apple.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Honestly, at this point, what does one do with this power? Makes me wonder if it's going to be used in some yet to be announced products.

Graphics and computational intensive apps will benefit of course. Think astronomy apps doing image processing , all sky graphics and telescope tracking/control all in real time. iPad air 2 should be adequate, finally.

I'm getting mine on Friday. Astronomical observations and astrophotography in the evening.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I hope people don't think they're going to get hugely increased speed in real life, there are a lot of other things going on besides the speed of these cores.

It's going to be faster but you won't notice that much difference in real life, even the difference between my iPad Air and iPad 2 is hardly noticeable. As a matter of fact after the IOS 8 update, my Air was slower than the 2. Now with 8.1 it's a bit snappier again, and Safari seems to be coming back to life.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Where is my iPad mini 3 with A8X?!

This is embarrassing! The new iPad Air 2 is a beast but the new mini is an old tech-granny! I want an updated iPad mini WITH the new A8X or at least A8! I'm so disappointed with Apple's roadmap this year! :confused:

• re-branded iPad mini 3 (old A7 chip)
  • crippled Mac mini (no quad core option)
  • rounded/slippery iPhone 6 corners (and it might bend in your pockets)
  • no Apple TV update
  • failed iOS8 launch
  • disappointing Apple Watch design and features (a bold, non-fancy, overpriced Bluetooth extension)
  • OS X Yosemite (lots of usability flaws)

the list continues...

Eddy Cue: "Apple has the best product pipeline in 25 years coming later this year"

Dear Eddy,
you need a reality check!

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I can't wait to upgrade from an iPad 1, glad I held out.

I really wanted a mini, but the 3 is a disappointment, so the Air 2 it is.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
It's not "bad"; it's exactly what it looks like. The only reason to go and add more cores is if there aren't any more reasonable avenues to getting better single core performance. Apple has clearly reached that point with this generation, so it makes sense to add that extra core. That said most of us would still be happy even if the CPU performance were just the same as the A8 with dual cores, as long as the GPU was a huge improvement for games and such (which it looks like it's going to be).

I think there were avenues, but the clear priority this generation was power consumption over raw performance. To some extent, I agree with this, but the iPad really needs a kick in the pants this generation to keep the excitement going. Plus the display is the dominant consumer of power so in an iPad the efficiency is less relevant.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Most surprising to me is how little difference there is between the 6 and the 5s.

I guess it really is Form over Function.

Should only get the s-versions of iphone. The 's' is for all the same but increased speed and performance. The iPhone 6s will be awesome.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
Its always funny how people bring up features that they'll barely use. Just like when the first iPhone came out and people complained you can't copy and paste or you can't type in landscape. Nobody types in landscape. Multi tasking may very well be in the pipeline so especially since we know 8.2 and 8.3 are being worked on as we speak. I for one find multitasking a distraction. I prefer to focus on one project at a time to get the maximum productivity. my 2cents

Ironically, multi-tasking is often imperative for focusing on one project. It's hard to focus on a spreadsheet when one has to constantly switch between Numbers and, say, Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.