iPad iPad Air 2 worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by UBS28, Dec 13, 2014.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

So the iPad Air 2 seems to have the following problems:
    - screen distortion
    - slow flash
    - vibrations caused by the spreakers

So it's better to wait for the iPad Air 3 or iPad Pro?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I love my iPad Air 2 . Personally the iPad pro would be to big imo and the vibrations I barely notice it any more and no distortion in normal use ....

3. harrypham macrumors member

You shoudl buy ones whose serial numbers begin DM because Dm iPads often have less problems than DLs.

4. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

If you really believe all of that is credible or a deal breaker, you are a fool and shouldn't be trusted with anything electrical.

5. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Is it worth it? There are cheaper tablets available if that's what you mean. Try the HP Steam 7 and see if that's "worth it".(Link)

My Air 2 has none of the issues you list above.:eek:

6. normanfox macrumors 6502a

how is DM better than DL? is it based on some kind of statistical consensus?

7. harrypham macrumors member

Because I experienced almost 20 bad screen iPads (iPad 3, Air 1 and Air 2), all of them are DL. On contrast, most of DM iPads I saw are almost perfec such as coool tone screen, bright white, non dead pixel etc

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Outside this forum, iPad air 2 is working just fine and is a wonderful device.

----------

Anecdotal evidence.....

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

10. cannono macrumors regular

The screen distortion is not a real issue. It doesn't happen in normal use.

Slow flash is not a real issue either. It's offset by other updates to the hardware making this the fastest iPad user experience and a very competitive tablet.

Vibration is a subjective issue and comes due to the massively improved sound quality. They sound large and bassy by miles compared to last year's updates. Whether it is an experience that is hurt by vibration is up to you, but it was bound to happen with such forceful speakers, regardless of whether the device is thinner.

If you can wait, always do. It's best to buy an Apple device at launch because you get the full period of use as a new model.

But no doubt it's the best iPad and the best tablet I've ever used.

11. MarcoCapa, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Also from Air is worth the upgrade...
    The air once you have tried air 2 is a brick like the 3/4 before it
    The thinner case give you the impression (in addition to 30 gr of weight reduction) that you are holding nothing... is really impressive...
    In the beginning I wasn't sure to upgrade, but now that I have I don't regret at all...
    The vibration is present of course, but is not all that annoying thing that people try to describe... on some games like real racing (with max volume) the vibration give you the impression that you are driving a real car ( not like real life, but better then on air )
    The screen distorting is real, but you have to press really really hard...
    And for the flash is not slow at all... is definitely the best ipad yet...
    Battery life for me is on par with air... Only slightly faster to charge...
    I'm very pleased by the screen (it is a bit different from air, maybe a little less luminous, but better quality overall): Phil Schiller described the screen like the sensation you are touching the things... He was not lying this is the exact thing that happen

Now the cons: It doesn't have front speakers, and you can enjoy this when you have tried
    Doesn't have a digitizer like note from samsung
    Doesn't have Oled or a higher resolution display (these are marginal; OLED no.... you save battery and improve luminosity)
    Other than this I could suggest slimmer bezel and minor weight and thickness, but these are only a marginal thing... Air 3 probably would be better :D

12. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

Yes, it's absolutely worth it. Mine has no issues.

13. Works4Me macrumors regular

Not sure if it's worth it as an upgrade from the Air 1, but I really enjoy my Air 2. Nice screen, the anti-glare does make a difference, and, believe it or not, I do notice the difference in thickness from the Air 1 (which my daughter got, who thinks it's a huge improvement over her iPad 2). It's also faster than the Air 1... :) But, your mileage may vary....

14. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Typing on a DM here. I have both the vibration and distortion 'issues'. Neither is anything remotely like a problem though.

Both are related to the thinness and lightness of the device. So waiting for the next model isn't going to do any good. It's not going to be thicker is it?

15. RByers8252 macrumors regular

After getting my 6 Plus my iPad 2 felt like a dinosaur. Traded it in for a Air 2 and couldn't be happier. Prefer my iPad at home over my phone still after almost 2 months with both. Feels great to hold and use. As for your complaints, the screen doesn't distort under any normal use for me, the vibration isn't noticeable after a day or 2 and it really does have a rich sound when using it to watch a movie or listen to music, and nothing it really is fast, fast enough I notice the difference when using my iPhone to load a game or safari.

16. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Very subjective answers here. The issues that the OP mentions ARE real despite what the defenders say. The threads on the issues should verify that they exist and do bother some people. The vibration issue is what kept me from upgrading. I tried one in a local store and it was extremely obnoxious. I don't use headphones so typing while having music going would be unbearable. And gaming with massive speaker feedback is NOT immersive or realistic, it just sucks.

Performance wise, until apps really take advantage the differences are trivial. The Air 2s hardware is more future proof but the Air has pretty good hardware too and should last a while.

Whoever said the Air feels like a brick compared to the Air 2 must be a weakling or have bad arthritis. A ridiculous statement. It's a TINY amount lighter and a TINY amount thinner. Cmon.

Each person must decide what they fine beneficial and what they can live with.

18. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I really like my Air 2. It's basically my main computing device now. All the work I need to do has to be done on a corporate secured device anyway

19. savagewatts macrumors regular

I upgraded from the iPad Air 1 and I think it's worth it. So slim and fast and I've had none of the issues listed on this forum.

20. kaielement macrumors 65816

If you don't own an iPad air or don't own an iPad at all totally worth it. The speaker vibration really only notiable when listing at max volume. And I have not seen any sceen distortion. And not sure what you mean by slow flash ass the iPad doesn't run flash.

21. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

First time owner of an iPad and I absolutely love it. Picked up a Air 2 space grey 64gb model at the Apple store a few days ago. Yes, the iPad does vibrate from the speakers but I don't consider this an issue. The sound quality is great and feels excellent in the hands (light weight, crazy thin, and very fast).

The screen is perfect and haven't notice any issue with it.

I wouldn't go any less than a 64gb model as apps nowadays are getting bigger in size.

...now back to playing with my iPad.

22. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

The screen distortion is a non issue. It seems pretty bad in the apple store but I honestly haven't noticed it in regular use after trying to replicate it the first time when unboxing.

The vibrations are pretty noticeable even at lower volume. For me, the battery life is quite a bit worse than the Air 1. Also, using TLC nand instead of MLC is just downright cheap by Apple.

The screen is phenomenal on the Air 2.

23. Morac macrumors 6502a

Morac

Coming from an iPad 2, I would say it's definitely worth it. I gained Siri, Retina Display, dictation, continuity, a huge speed and memory boost and Touch ID.

I haven't seen any distortions (DL serial). I'm not sure what the "Slow flash" is, but it's infinitely faster than my iPad 2. The vibrations were a big issue for me at first, but I'm getting used to them, so they don't bother me as much. Battery life is around what I was getting on my nearly 4 year old iPad 2. It's not great, but unless you are gaming on it constantly or have the brightness turned up to the max, it should last about 10 hours.

24. wolfboy macrumors regular

- screen distortion
    Isolated cases. I don't believe this is widespread or re-produceable under typical day to day usage.

- slow flash
    That was just a rumor from one website with a questionable source. Spoilers: This iPad is extremely fast!
    Source: me and other people that own it/tested it

- vibrations caused by the speakers
    True. The only real problem on your list. The sound resonance may or may not be by design. Most people seem to be fine with it. Chances are you will probably get used to it (Notice that many ongoing complaints are from a few vocal people that don't own one or only tried it at the store)

Bottom line is this: If you have an iPad 2/3 or below, it's a really good upgrade. This is a beastly iPad and you will notice the difference. If you have an Air, then no, it's not worth it unless you really want the 2GB of RAM. I wouldn't recommend yearly updates to anyone anyway...these devices are meant to run good for at least 2 years.

25. SuperPolli macrumors regular

Also worth noting is that you can't check the serial number before purchasing so this is a relatively pointless method for checking non-confirmed, possibly sporadically occurring problems.
    :eek: