iPad Air 3 Could Feature Four Speakers and Rear-Facing LED Flash

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
The features that would sell it for me are the-
  1. Smart Connector and
  2. Pencil
I've had enough of wishy-washy Bluetooth pairing with keyboards, and that would be a step-up for usability instead of laptop. The Pencil would be icing on the cake.

That said, the last time I bought an iPad with the numbering 3 before it, Apple released a version 4 within 6 months in the same year- the only time they've ever done that, I believe. Will they do the same this year and catch up to their traditional fall release schedule for iPad? Hmm...
I Totally agree with the smart connector. They need to pick up sales for this and one sure way will be to add some of the pro apps from Adobe and Microsoft. Better processor is a given.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
That said, the last time I bought an iPad with the numbering 3 before it, Apple released a version 4 within 6 months in the same year- the only time they've ever done that, I believe. Will they do the same this year and catch up to their traditional fall release schedule for iPad? Hmm...
That gave me a thought.

March 2016: iPad Air 3 with no Pencil support
September 2016: iPad Air 4 with Pencil support
:p

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

The next-generation iPad Air 3 could adopt the iPad Pro's four-speaker design and gain an LED flash next to the rear-facing camera, according to leaked design drawings shared with French website Nowhereelse.fr. The website cannot fully guarantee the veracity of the sketches, but the report does mention its source has been reliable on two out of three occasions in the past.

If the design drawings prove to be true, the iPad Air 3 would have two speakers on both the top and bottom of the tablet like the iPad Pro. The inclusion of rear-facing LED flash seems more trivial, since the iPad is not a camera device in the traditional sense, but some owners do use the tablet to take photos, and Apple may be looking for ways to combat declining iPad sales.

Apple is rumored to announce the iPad Air 3 at a March media event, possibly alongside a new 4-inch iPhone and Apple Watch updates. Little is known about the iPad Air 3, beyond a report saying it will lack 3D Touch, but plausible updates could include a faster A9 or A9X processor, Oxide TFT display, Smart Connector and improved cameras.

Oxide TFT display technology would allow for more uniform color and brightness, and improved contrast, on the iPad Air 3. The tablet could also adopt the iPad Pro's variable refresh rate technology to preserve power when static images are on the screen, enabling the iPad Air 3 to have longer battery life.

Apple has not updated its 9.7-inch tablet since releasing the iPad Air 2 in October 2014.

Article Link: iPad Air 3 Could Feature Four Speakers and Rear-Facing LED Flash
Pencil and I'm sold. Otherwise, I will ignore this.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
At the Apple Store
Those stereo speakers would be tempting. I have them on my Nexus and love them. It's kind of bewildering that the iPad doesn't have front facing stereo speakers by now honestly.

junkstory

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Would you guys rather have force touch or pencil support? I think pencil support would be a must if they want the iPad to remain relevant... not many people will upgrade if the only change is a faster processor and extra speakers. iPad Air 2 is already plenty fast with every single app I've used.

Reactions: FallenLegend

deffcap

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton, UK
A flash, really?? Nobody wants that... and if they do they're wrong!

Hope this is a nonsense rumour. Though Pencil support, and you've gotta deal!

ChrisLTD

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
chrisltd.com
Hopefully the speaker cavities means the Air 3 will be lighter. I really want to go back to the larger iPads from the Mini form factor (for more comfortable split apps), but the weight has been a deal breaker.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
These things were a given. Tell me the good stuff! Will it have 3Dtouch? It better if you want that to be a thing now. Will it support the pencil? It'd be nice.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Based on the Anandtech review, seems like the A9 is efficient enough to cut out some battery for the speakers and keep 10 hour battery life. Also, with the lower resolution screen I'd guess it would get an A9 rather than an A9X, which would in turn provide some differentiation between the two.

It all sounds good to me. Add in Pencil support and I will buy this day 1.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. An A9 would be a low priced and less power hungry alternative to the A9X that can still be faster than the A8X. Assuming this rumor is true and the speakers take up a lot of space, then I think an A9 is likely.

I can see an iPad A9 having a CPU clock speed somewhere between the 1.85 GHz of the iPhone A9 and the 2.26 GHz of the A9X. I think the GPU will also be clocked higher (Apple doesn't seem to vary GPU clocks much). Given that the iPhone A9's GPU is anywhere from slightly worse than to ~55% faster than the A8X GPU (and it does better in the newer benchmark), a > 10% GPU clock increase should definitely put the A9 ahead of the A8X.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Well, those extra speakers not a lot of people care about will of course make the battery even smaller, but since we're also pairing this new iPad with the new A9 series (or some other form of it) battery life will stay the same.

I wish Apple would keep battery size the same (or better yet: bigger) AND put in the new A-series chip so we can have a better battery life for once. I seriously want to know what would happen if you'd pair a modern A-series chip (A8X/A9/A9X) with the battery of an iPad 3/iPad 4 (with 11,560 mAh they have the biggest battery of all iPads, and yes, that's including the iPad Pro). Imagine the battery life with that.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Hopefully the speaker cavities means the Air 3 will be lighter. I really want to go back to the larger iPads from the Mini form factor (for more comfortable split apps), but the weight has been a deal breaker.
You're either joking or suffering from myasthenia gravis. If the latter, I'm very sorry. The iPad Air 2 weighs less than a pound.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I honestly wouldn´t be looking to upgrade my old iPad 2 had I not made the horrible decision of getting the 16 gb one, thinking I could make do with that plus cloud storage....

I was gonna upgrade to a pro, but for the price of the pro, pencil, keyboard and case (about 1200) I was able to get a deal on an asus gaming pc across the street (ms store).

For creative purposes I found out, I am better suited to a pc (I use a mac and pc combo). For media consumption (ebooks, music and video) a regular ipad suits me just fine.

I just need 3D touch and better storage options. If they do, I am getting the biggest capacity iPad I can afford, so it lasts me even longer than my 2.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Excuse me whilst I don my tall pointed hat adorned with cabalistic symbols and the word "Wizzard" picked out in sequins and draw an octogram on the ground in powdered unicorn horn.

The iPad Air 3 will not support the Apple Pencil. First, it requires an additional digitizer, and second, because of production constraints.

The iPad Air 3 will not have the same CPU and memory as the iPad Pro. It will not be the iPad Air Pro Mini. Reason: money. Apple is unlikely to significantly lower its profit margins.

The iPad Air 3 will not have Force Touch, for the above two reaons.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
If they waste the effort to put a flash into this thing just to encourage the positive feedback loop that is People Taking Photos with iPads, I'm going to walk out of the room.
Have you tried scanning documents with the iPad? I find myself using my iPod and ScannerPro to scan and then using the iPad to edit. For get photos, simply being able to scan is worth having the flash on the iPad.

ChrisLTD

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
chrisltd.com
You're either joking or suffering from myasthenia gravis. If the latter, I'm very sorry. The iPad Air 2 weighs less than a pound.
I can hold the iPad Mini up in the air with one hand with basically zero fatigue. The Airs are just a little too heavy for the same kind of usage. I end up leaning them on a knee or putting it in my lap, which means I'm looking down and straining my neck.

sully54

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
if the speakers are in the same design as the iPad pro's then where are they going to put them without reducing the battery life?

Sounds like Apple is weeding out a leaker.

ChrisLTD

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
chrisltd.com
if the speakers are in the same design as the iPad pro's then where are they going to put them without reducing the battery life?

Sounds like Apple is weeding out a leaker.
Battery life can stay the same if they find efficiencies elsewhere, like what they are claiming to do with the variable screen refresh rate.