iPad Air 3 Could Feature Four Speakers and Rear-Facing LED Flash

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2016.

1. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

extra speakers and a flash.. so innovative

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

four spears on the iPad Air 3? Should of held out longer,,, i bet users buying the ipad pro thinking they are the ony kid on the block with the four speakers in a tablet may be worried now..

But that's Apple.... catch the fish,,, then go back for more with other devices adopting the same...

Of course. we know too well "It never works out so well for the bait"

In order to not canalize ipad sales, Apple *wants* people to use a larger device to take photos, than an iPhone they can easily carry better ?

I don't see the logic, unless Ipad is your only device, and u still need a camera, but then what the hell is wrong with you..

3. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

4. Kar98 macrumors 6502a

Sadly, I do. Although it's been a while that I was in Pompeii. Early 90s?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2016 ---
    You got that right. I sold my iPad 2 long ago and I'm enjoying the hell out of my Surface. Full OS, no app store required but it's there. Yes, it has two cameras and the rear-facing one has a flash. Never used them.

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The apple pencil cost $99.99 right? Yeah I'm pretty sure apple will somehow make the new air place nice with it, and I'm sure the same style keyboard will be available as well.

6. Dranix macrumors 65816

Nothing hurts battery? 240Hz digitizer scanning in Pencil mode doesn't need battery? People are so deluded.

7. AppleScruff1 macrumors G4

AppleScruff1

Did you buy them as an investment?

8. acidsoul macrumors member

Stereo speakers and pencil support and I'm sold.
    It'll be a huge leap from my iPad 2...

9. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I would really like to see the vibration feature added.

10. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

flash! what a waste of time...
    instead they need to beef up it's ram and add support for that pencil.

11. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

The iPad Air 1 is slowly becoming the new iPad 3. I expect the Air 2 will be around for quite some time although I'll probably upgrade anyways.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not enough to move me from iPad 2. Sorry TC, if there isn't more I'll pass.

13. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I feel the same way. The reason my iPad 2 has lasted so long was that performance wise it was a significant upgrade in terms of RAM and GPU/CPU over the iPad 1, plus it had enough features. I want my next iPad to also be a step up in performance and ram so it lasts the distance, plus it needs the features.

14. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think the iPad Air 1 is actually more like the iPad 1 (lacking RAM) while the iPad Air 2 is like the iPad Air 2 (longevity models). The iPad 3 is just...:confused:

If the iPad Air 3 steps-up the resolution to the same as the iPad Pro's, I don't think we'll see another iPad 3 scenario, since we're not talking about a regular chip to X-chip with the same number generation like the A5 to A5X scenario. Just a thought!

15. iLLUMI macrumors 6502a

Yeh the camera at 8mp is very much 2008 technology. Considering we're now in 2016 and some phones go up to 40+ megapixels it is lagging way behind. Even if Apple could bump up the spec to just 20mp that would be a big improvement.

There are indeed many people who use their iPad for taking photos. Some of those are visually impaired and prefer the larger screen. Then there are those that are working on projects (students etc) and want to paste photos into documents on their iPad.
    On a professional level I guess the iPad wouldn't be the preferred camera device due to the low pixel count.

If Apple ups the specs and makes it compatible with the Apple pencil then the Air 3 could become more of a practical tool for artists and photographers.

16. Evan_F macrumors member

Evan_F

If macbook pro doesn't get an upgrade, definitely will look into this iPad.

17. playaproved macrumors 6502

For me, no pencil = no sale.

There isn't anything else they could add to the iPad besides pencil support to make me upgrade from my Air 2.

I'm hoping they add pencil support along with the usual processor speed bumps. I was hoping for 3D Touch until the recent developments about Apple having trouble implementing it on a larger surface.

18. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

For those wanting pencil support, why would apple cannibalize the sells of their ipad pro by adding pencil support. There has to be differentiation between a pro device besides just the big screen. I'm thinking the 4 speakers on the air 3 is false and of course it will not have pencil support. The Ipad air 3 will mostly have a new design, a A9 processor, same camera as the air 2, improved screen, and faster touch ID. There is not much else apple will reasonably do with it this year.

19. gibi macrumors newbie

gibi

Pencil would be great (as it will 4Gb and A9X).
    My only concern is that Apple will not add these "Pro" features because it will shrink iPad Pro sales.

20. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I need the Apple Pencil. I'm seriously considering buying an iPad Pro just for this, because I'm handwriting notes at uni all day - but it might be a bit too large for my liking. The Air is ~A5 size and that's what I need.

Flash would be useful. Like others said - scanning documents. At the moment I have to scan with flash on my iPhone and then airdrop / wait for it to sync over iCloud so I can edit on my iPad.

I remember seeing in the 60 minutes video that Phil said each device was supposed to cannibalise the next one, so the iPhone should make you not want an iPad Mini, etc. - so not including pencil support just because "maybe we'll sell fewer iPad Pros" seems odd to me.

21. RebornProphet Suspended

I can't see that happening. The iPad Pro is called such for a reason. If they were going to give the new Air a keyboard case and pencil support they'd just have released the Air 3 with the A9X and those specs/features rather than bother launching the Pro.

The 9.7" iPad is not a Pro iPad and the iPad Pro is not the same iPad as the 9.7" models, they serve different demographics, even if there are some people who bought a Pro to use Twitter, play Angry Birds and watch Netflix.

22. Keirasplace macrumors 601

Good grief, so I guess a 20MP 10K pro DSLR recently release is well, "falling behind" (Sic).
    Get a clue about photography or stop posting.

23. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Ah... weird. Forgot. Wonder why that was - guess they were still touting the power of that first 64-bit chip. But iPads did get the X variant for graphics with the 5-,6-,8-, and (so far, with the Pro) 9-series. I think a new Air will see a similar A9X.

24. Chloec macrumors member

Chloec

I'd like to buy a 32 GB version if it has ,,,,,,,,

25. srminton macrumors regular

srminton

Pencil was my first thought, but maybe it's too soon to throw away the only real differentiator (apart from a bigger screen) which the iPad Pro has. When iPad Air works with Pencil, I would expect iPad Pro sales to suffer a bit. Which is fine in the long term, but they are invested in this new product having a good first year, for various reasons. So, I hope it adds Pencil, but won't be amazed if it doesn't.