iPad Air-3 Heavier than iPad Air-2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Mar 11, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

The New iPad Air-3 aka iPad Pro is slated to be a little thicker, bulkier, heavier than the current iPad Air- (Which in my opinion is the best weight extremely light and portable) so if the iPad Air-3 becomes heavier how many of guys are OK with it ? Will it not bother you guys that it has become thicker ?

2. februarian macrumors 6502

februarian

It probably shouldn't seeing as how the big features speculated are enough to offset any increase in weight and thickness.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

So people who buy the iPad Air 3 this year will again sulk in a year when with the same features the 2017 iPad is made extra slim and thin. Apple does this every year !! first year introduce new features and the following year with the same features give a nice, little, slim and thin body to the iPad !

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If the next iPad was considerably thicker and heavier, I'd probably just stick with my iPad Air 2, but I doubt it will be.

5. bufffilm, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

What is it with you and these silly speculative questions?

First it was if 3D Touch was worth waiting for (I think you used the words 'people clamoring for'), then if Apple would release yet another 9.7" tablet later this same year after the pending March release...and now two more speculations about possible weight increase and an 2017 update.

You're going a bit overboard with this.

6. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I am just using my imagination to speculate and smart think over what Apple will do and think :)

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

[/QUOTE]
    I agree and was going to say the same thing.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2016 ---
    Well your threads are veering on the ridiculous side.

8. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Well, a 2017 update is way to early to talk about right now and if the new 9.7" is heavier, let's wait and see what the whole package brings...why don't we?

9. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I don't think it would be much of a big deal, the first generation iPad Air is already very thin and light for most people.

10. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

But seriously guys are you guys ok if the new iPad Air 3 will bring the much awaited pencil support (as if some people were gonna die without that !) If it brings pencil support but is slightly thicker than the iPad Air-2 ? Apple first and foremost should keep the form and weight in foreground and then think about new features around it not the other way around !

11. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Apple has already gone crazy with the "thin and light" thing so now they have to make a choice it's innovation (more features) or that "thin and light" again.
    I (and most people) were perfectly fine with the iPad Air 1 weight and thinness (same apply to the iPhone, iPhone 5 and 5s were perfectly fine too).

12. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

But dude you keep talking about iPad Air and Air 2 are you reading it what we are saying Air 3 will be thicker than the Air-1& Air-2 so we are not talking about having same weight infact we are talking about going over weight with it ! Do you get it ? Or no ?

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I think the fact they are rumoured to be naming this the Pro means they consider it a new product of its kind. That means resetting some expectations from the Air 2. First and foremost will be giving this product the pro features its name suggests it should get. They certainly won't have ignored the form and weight, and they'll make it as thin and light as possible. But if it has to be a bit thicker and heavier to incorporate the professional features then they'll do it. All assuming the rumours are true of course and we are getting the smaller form factor pro.

14. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Over Air 1 thinness ? Where have you get this info ? Are you an Apple employee ?

Stop with that, it's pure speculation, if it get thicker than the Air 2, it will be just a couple millimeter thick (just like the iPhone 6s compared to the 6) but will never be thicker than the first Air.

15. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

It is all over the Internet ! Even Macrumors is saying this !

16. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

+1

Worse thing Apple did going from air1 to air2 was shrinking the battery. If this new model doesn't get over 11.5 solid hrs with wireless and Bluetooth on and screen brightness at 50%, then I'm not buying.

The weight is not important to me.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Some links, please?

In any case, those who want Pencil support probably wouldn't mind if it was a bit thicker and heavier. Those who are bothered by the additional weight/thickness and don't need Pencil can stick with the Air 1&2 for another year.

18. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Says the person who in an earlier thread complained when people talked about unsubstantiated rumours.

Also, you aren't even getting your facts straight. The rumoured dimensions are FRACTIONS of a millimetre different than the air 2, and still over a millimetre thinner than the air 1.

19. PeteS1963 macrumors member

Really!?

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/01/ipad-air-3-claimed-blueprint-dimensions/

"While the screen size will remain the same, the purported schematic leak claims the iPad Air 3 will be 6.15 mm thick, 169.60 mm wide and 240 mm tall. The iPad Air 2’s official tech specs put it at 6.1 mm thick, 169.5 mm wide, and 240 mm tall, so we’re talking about a 0.05 mm increase in depth and a 0.1mm jump in width. For good measure, the iPad Air was 7.5 mm thick with the same height and width as the current iPad Air 2".

No one knows if any of these rumours are true but no one is going to notice a 0.05mm & 0.1mm increase. This is still thinner than the Air 1.

But who cares? Only nerds will really be bothered. The majority of the public that but iPads won't be bothered about these tiny details.

20. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

And alarmists like augustya

IOW, much ado about nothing.

21. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yes I am talking about this same report and even a millimetre or two heavier it is still heavier who knows how much does it turn out to be in reality ?

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Thicker. Millimeter is a unit of length, not weight. If talking about weight, use grams or ounces. And it is all rumors. Who knows, maybe in reality it would turn out to be the same weight/thickness. And even if it does turn out to be slightly thicker/heavier, it's not likely to be significant. We add more thickness/weight to the iPad by putting on covers or cases!

23. stevemiller macrumors 65816

You aren't listening or reading. I can't tell if you are deliberately trying to be provocative at this point.

Do you even understand the difference between 1mm and .05mm? And that neither is a measurement of weight?

Are you aware that every time you say it's rumoured to be thicker than the air 1 you are getting it completely backwards?

Here's something for you to ponder over in your next thread thread: self fulfilling prophesies.

If you repeatedly look for reasons why the product will eventually become outdated and be disappointing, you *will* be disappointed with it the entire time you have it. No matter what. Because guess what? It's going to get outdated. The chances of that are 100%.

My advice, and this negates any need for further threads, is to decide what would make you happy without any consideration of what is to come, and only buy when that happens.

24. family_guy macrumors newbie

No. The thinness of the Air 2 contributed to the vibration issues when the speakers were playing.

25. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I'd welcome it. Apple is so anal about how thick things are, they wouldn't add material to anything unless it had a purpose. If it means it gets another hour of battery life or has Apple Pencil support then I'm all in.