All iPads iPad Air...Amazing. Yeah yeah... Who's still waiting for Retina Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nStyle, Nov 6, 2013.

?

What are you going to do?

1. (Have no iPad) - Buying Air

25 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. (Have no iPad) - Buying Retina Mini

36 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. (Have iPad) - Buying/trading for Air

66 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. (Have iPad) - Patiently waiting for Retina Mini

86 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. nStyle macrumors 6502a

I am so very tempted by the Air. It is almost everything I've ever wanted the iPad to be. But I still think the iPad is rather impractical to tote around and pull out and use anywhere. I have the 4 and honestly haven't had it that long but I just can't justify the change to the 5 when the issue of portability still isn't really solved. Sure the Air is much quicker too in benchmarks - but in real life? I can see if you game how you would definitely want the Air over the 4, but I don't see a reason to upgrade from the 4.

Plus... My mouth waters at the thought of the same screen and the same internals in a smaller package... Literally the perfect iPad, sans fingerprint sensor.

2. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Upgrading from the 4 to the Air probably doesn't make much sense unless you sell your 4 and get decent money for it. I moved up from an iPad3 and after using the Air, the iPad3 feels like a freaking boat anchor now. Like it's made of cast iron or something.

The retina mini is definitely an intriguing package, but for my uses I just preferred the bigger screen and the weight difference from the older iPads is just so nice.

3. rmwill macrumors newbie

Love my Air. Buying a Retina Mini for my kid. I just sold his iPad 3 for very good money, so it better arrive soon.:)

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, I'm going from the 4 to the rMini. It's an upgrade for me. I can't really sell my 4 for much now.

5. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

Sold my 3 a few weeks ago. Retina Mini w/ Cellular is next for me. Release it already!

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Quite frankly, I don't see why the mini is regarded as soooooooo much more portable than the Air? It's a two inch smaller screen and slightly lighter. That's all. Won't fit into a pocket, won't fit into a jacket pocket and fits into a purse roughly the same as the Air.

IMO, losing two inches of screen is not worth this perceived extra portability.

But, to each their own.

7. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I was all about the Retina Mini until I actually held an Air in my hands. I was really impressed with the air & considering they are taking about supply constraints on the mini for months, I went ahead and took the plunge.

I'll still give the mini a fair shake once it is out in the wild, but I am very happy with my purchase so far.

8. Macalway macrumors 68000

Mouth watering? :D

That's a first. Salivating over glass and metal. How Borg

9. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

Been using the mini since it came out last year. The Air has been really tempting me since my only complaint about the previous iPads were the size. Finally went to go try out an Air today and I'm definitely sticking with the mini! I can't believe how much larger the Air is. It is really light but the sheer footprint makes it more difficult to hold one handed for long periods. That retina display is juicy though, reminded me of just how bad the mini's display is. Can't wait to get the retina mini when it comes out!

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

After using the mini for so long and preferring it over the 4, I just got an Air due to arrive tomorrow. The main issue is extended use and carrying it around. The mini was so light that it was a no-brainer to carry even casually. I noticed that I normally carry the mini with a bag large enough to hold an Air or I just grabbed the mini and toted it with me. For my wife, she sometimes puts the mini in the purse which is the perfect fit. The reason why she would need a mini Retina would be to fit it in a purse. The purse solution is only about 30% of the time in use so an Air would be a consideration but if the Air is too heavy for extended use, I'll probably order another retina mini.

11. spicynujac macrumors regular

I will have to wait and see them in store, but I'm leaning towards a mini just for the portability. I think it would be really cool to take on trips and stick in a backpack or coat pocket. I mean sure the ipad air is still pretty portable and not that much bigger, but there is a lot you could do with the mini being small enough to hold in one hand.

Although I'm still swayed by Steve Jobs noting that the original ipad was designed as THE best size for a tablet, and I trust Apple's R&D !

12. docprego macrumors 65816

Sold my iPad 3 recently in anticipation of the new models. Been telling myself for the last year that if they ever upgraded the Mini to Retina that it would be my perfect iPad. Then I went and held the Air, loved it. Still going to go for the retina Mini but the choice was definitely made considerably harder by the introduction of the Air.

13. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I like a full size iPad for home use and a Mini for out and about. So I've picked up and Air and hopefully will be able to resist an Mini R but not convinced. Two iPads is ridiculous I know but in my defence I only run one phone now.........

14. edhchoe macrumors 6502

In my case playing real racing 3 on a ipad vs ipad mini is a big difference.
    Holding a desert plate vs dinner plate to play a racing game.
    Besides, I can get a LTE mini for $29 more than wifi ipad.

15. i0Nic macrumors 65816

So which do you prefer?

16. New Apple macrumors regular

i find it a very bad habit of this decade maybe, have ipad4(product x) and people asking (or doing) if they must 'upgrade' to the next years model.

i do believe that a lot of people that write such stuff on the net (not talking about you) are either paid by the companies or spoiled rats.
    (samsung paying people in taiwan to write bad comments on other products)

if you traveled thousand of miles with your car and you plan to travel a lot in the next 10-20 years you must consider changing car often, other than that
    wait your ipad gets slow at a point that you must change it (or it doesnt work anymore)

17. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Ipad air is an upgrade for Ipad 1/2/3/4 people I dont know why there's so many posts from people with ipad mini who were maybe 'tempted' by the thinness of the ipad now yet still know 9.7 is too large for there needs to start a thread saying they can't wait for ipad mini retina.

This forum is FULL of these posts. :rolleyes:

18. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the Mini Retina but I love my Air!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was planning on getting the iPad mini 2, but when I went to the Apple Store to check out the iPad Air, I kind said to myself, screw waiting, I want this.

It is quite a big smaller and lighter than the older one, so I think it's a good move. I already have a iPad mini.

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

21. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

after playing with the Air this morning

I am holding out for the Retina mini.

I was at the Apple Store this morning: to me, the iPad Air was not comfortable to hold and reading on it was okay, not great. Both are dealbreakers to me.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

+1

23. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

24. JSalig macrumors 6502

I would love to shell out for both but I think I'd hate myself a little afterwards. Waiting on the mini.

25. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

Yup waiting for ipad mini retina .. we have a ipad 3 in the family .. doesnt leave the house though ... so yeah really waiting to get my hands on retina ipad mini ... and it will be only mine ... mine i say :mad: