Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichyB

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
Think I'm going to go for a Logitech keyboard folio. Currently use a cheap case from amazon that doesn't stand up properly. The supplied screen protector is quite good.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
My Devicewear Ridge had a slight odor when I first opened the package, but it stopped after a day. Not a big deal. I've really been enjoying it. Someone else asked about the durability of the typing position. The Metagamers review mentions that previous versions of the Ridge have proven quite durable; but, really, no one has had this version long enough to know about durability issues.

Yeah, mine took a few days to offgas the stinky stuff. No biggie.

Regarding Devicewear Ridge...

DW reported to me that only ~300 units of their lastest batch passed their QC testing -- apparently many did not sufficiently reach across to cover the screen.

DW held back the defective units and are awaiting another batch. I did not ask, as my case was part of the good 300 units, but my impression was it wasn't going to be too long.

For my money, it's worth the wait.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I got a defective moko case from amazon I believe. The Smart Cover function I nit working but I feel the magnets pulling.
MoKo Apple iPad Air Case - Slim Folding Case for Apple iPad 5 Air (5th Gen) Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep)
http://amzn.com/B00CK9DAJC
They said they are going to send a replacement. The iPad air has the Smart Cover function on permanently as in no option to turn it on or off. Right?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Kavaj has announced a second case, the Hamburg.

81Y9ltZMfFL._SL1500_.jpg
81TVNuNE6-L._SL1500_.jpg

81uMQNa6m%2BL._SL1500_.jpg
81O6fQy8Z3L._SL1500_.jpg

As with the other one, 15% off on the preorder with the code HZB4F8X6.

Last edited:

tandeh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Last edited:

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
So additional questions for anyone on the KavaJ Berlin/Hamburg:

Do these cases allow you to open the cover all the way so that it wraps around to lay flat back on itself? Or does it have too much resistance to fully open and lay flat?

Still torn between Berlin and Hamburg - want the slimness of the Berlin, but like the viewing angles of the Hamburg. There was a comment on the size dimensions from KavaJ on amazon, but they are clearly wrong.

Since the Hamburg has that extra flap, I wonder if that means it would operate different trying to open it all the way.

mike1111

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I backed this kickstarter looks interesting, its available for the air (even biz leather, as stated in the description and comments), might get a cheap case to tide me by till April,, whats everyones opinions and are there any cheaper similar alternatives? (i've got till 26 Dec cancel):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...h-magnets-for-unlimited-ang?play=1&ref=search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj2azeftnTg&noredirect=1

Looks nice, but April is kind of far in the future (and kickstarter delivery dates tend to slip, especially if the product gets too popular; also they don't seem to have any experience with mass manufacturing in China). By then we might even have an iPad Pro :D
Also I couldn't find any information about the weight. If it's like 300g or more with all the magnets then it's just too heavy for me.

----------

So additional questions for anyone on the KavaJ Berlin/Hamburg:

Do these cases allow you to open the cover all the way so that it wraps around to lay flat back on itself? Or does it have too much resistance to fully open and lay flat?

Still torn between Berlin and Hamburg - want the slimness of the Berlin, but like the viewing angles of the Hamburg. There was a comment on the size dimensions from KavaJ on amazon, but they are clearly wrong.

Since the Hamburg has that extra flap, I wonder if that means it would operate different trying to open it all the way.

Hamburg: You can wrap it around either way to lay flat. Just folding it back like a Smart Cover/Case or laying flat instead of at an angle (so it's flat and then angle 1, 2, 3). The viewing angles are great, as long as you don't tilt the whole thing too far back they are very stable (based on the iPad 4 case).

Hamburg (iPad 4) is a little bit thicker and heavier (maybe 1-2mm in some but not all places; still below 180g), but if you think you can get any use out of the additional viewing angles then it's totally worth it.

Some people don't like the flap on the back (for the other two viewing angles), the seems on the sides, that it partially covers the bezel, that it doesn't have a hard back cover or that it's made out of real leather.

Last edited:

tandeh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Looks nice, but April is kind of far in the future (and kickstarter delivery dates tend to slip, especially if the product gets too popular; also they don't seem to have any experience with mass manufacturing in China). By then we might even have an iPad Pro :D
Also I couldn't find any information about the weight. If it's like 300g or more with all the magnets then it's just too heavy for me.

----------

Hamburg: You can wrap it around either way to lay flat. Just folding it back like a Smart Cover/Case or laying flat instead of at an angle (so it's flat and then angle 1, 2, 3). The viewing angles are great, as long as you don't tilt the whole thing too far back they are very stable (based on the iPad 4 case).

Hamburg (iPad 4) is a little bit thicker and heavier (maybe 1-2mm in some but not all places; still below 180g), but if you think you can get any use out of the additional viewing angles then it's totally worth it.

Some people don't like the flap on the back (for the other two viewing angles), the seems on the sides, that it partially covers the bezel, that it doesn't have a hard back cover or that it's made out of real leather.

Good observation, i am thinking of the lioncase as it may be lighter than others, a forum member has one ordered and will review once he gets it, so may cancel this as 5 months maybe very heavy, i have asked for weight when on Ipad air, but if it is too heavy i may give it a miss

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Here is a good case that I reviewed. I got all 8 colors to review and they are good. The one review is my review with a video:
TKOOFN Hybrid Colors Combo Cases 2 in 1 Dual Defender Snap-on Back Case & Kickstand for Apple iPad Air(5th Generation), Black - PT4200
http://amzn.com/B00GBPZKY4

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Any protective backs that people like?

Is there any consensus on a protective back yet? Emphasis on lightness with no adhesive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.