Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy/order an iPad on Launch day?

• Yes, pre-order the day I can or Walk in the day of release!

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • Nah, Not launch day but will buy in the future (maybe Xmas)

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm skipping this generation, enjoy your new iPads though!

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Not sure, will wait and decide later.

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
How many of you here are going to get the iPad Air 2 or Retina Mini 2 on launch day? What size? and color?

I'm thinking (if base model is 32GB then awesome, if not then 16GB it is!)
16GB Gold LTE.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Wish you had a "Not Sure" option.

I'll keep my iPad 3 unless Apple just blows me away with this. 2GB of RAM isn't enough for me to upgrade.

Entirely new iOS utilization? Maybe
Active Digitizer with proper stylus support? YES!!
Higher Rez screen? That would push me away because of scaling/lag. I've had enough with the iPad 3.

LFCYNWA

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I also want a not sure option, I'm on the iPad 3, if it has 2 gigs of ram, I'm in.

Otherwise I will wait for the iPad pro...

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
A new retina mini for me please. I'm keeping my 2 iPad Airs, but gotta get the latest mini. Thinner, lighter would be nice. I love my iPhone 6 4.7 in space grey and need a mini to compliment it.

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I'll be ordering a 128GB iPad Air 2. I went from iPad 3 to the Mini, then the rMini. I enjoy the smaller form very much, but I really miss the bigger screen. I got out my first generation iPad the other day, and while it's an absolute beast to hold, I realized how much I want a larger display again. Looking forward to the 16th!

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I think they have something special for this upgrade up there sleeve beyond what we already know, so I'm in.

Better 8MP rear camera.
Slight thinner.
Better battery life.
Lighter.
A8 Processor
2 GB Ram
HD Retina Display
Touch ID

Not to shabby of an upgrade.

I get a 64GB Air 2. My 32GB Air goes to wife. Her 128GB iPad 2 goes to daughter, daughters 16 GB iPad 2 retired.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I'm probably going to upgrade my wife iPad 2 and my 3. They both still work fine however my wife's has become a bit slow. I'm just making this the upgrade year. New phones, new iPads. Should be good for a few more years. Probably going to walk in and buy but not until after launch.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I'm not buying until I know it has 2GB of RAM. I don't care if you think it's related to the tab reloading or not. I can see from Xcode that iOS7/8 can use a lot of RAM and buying a 1GB of RAM iOS device is not going to get many updates before being discontinued.

I really feel the iPad Air is like the iPad 1, and will only get a few iOS updates, then a 2GB of RAM model would be like the iPad to and just keep going and going.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
i usually upgrade my iPad every year but was considering passing this time if we were only looking at a slight form factor change and "better" processor and camera. But if a 2gig ram upgrade that includes a new multitasking mode were introduced, I'd reconsider. I'd also be intrigued if they included the retina HD screen used on the iPhone 6 Plus (1080p and higher PPI). With both those features, I'll definitely line up for it on launch day.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
I'm probably going to upgrade my wife iPad 2 and my 3. They both still work fine however my wife's has become a bit slow. I'm just making this the upgrade year. New phones, new iPads. Should be good for a few more years. Probably going to walk in and buy but not until after launch.

You must be a kind and considerate man. So nice to hear someone refer to "my wife" rather than "the wife". It may seem trivial to some, but there is a definite connotation to the latter.

I'm getting the air 2 gold 32gb from best buy when available. Got a nice gift card from them for selling my 64gb air.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I have the current Air and mini models. Nothing could possibly interest me so much as to waste money upgrading for minor items I have no use for.

Touch ID surprised me, my Dad was merely looking at my 5S and his fingerprint unlocked MY phone! I've never been so disappointed. But I must honestly say I'm not shocked.

Nothing is perfect, even if it does have an Apple Logo.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Buying on day one is stupid as there are always glitches in hardware that are ironed out those first few weeks. Are people seriously that impatient?

I'll be buying this generation of iPad mini and skipping this generation of iPad Air (as I bought the current version in January and they tend to last three years before they're too old to be worth using), though I may buy one for my father for Father's day when refurbs are available to replace his third generation iPad (which, I'd imagine, either won't be let in to run iOS 9 or will do so horribly).

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Buying on day one is stupid as there are always glitches in hardware that are ironed out those first few weeks. Are people seriously that impatient?

I'll be buying this generation of iPad mini and skipping this generation of iPad Air (as I bought the current version in January and they tend to last three years before they're too old to be worth using), though I may buy one for my father for Father's day when refurbs are available to replace his third generation iPad (which, I'd imagine, either won't be let in to run iOS 9 or will do so horribly).

As I get older and older, I'm finding myself waiting more to buy new electronic goodies. The iPhone 6+ was the last thing I've boughten on release day (it has the Apple logo) but going forward I won't be doing that. Next iPhone I get I'll wait a month or two to let the bugs iron out. It's just incredibly frustrating:
  1. Getting your hopes up high for something.
  2. You get home and it doesn't work as it should.
  3. You just wasted money and become very emotional.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
As I get older and older, I'm finding myself waiting more to buy new electronic goodies. The iPhone 6+ was the last thing I've boughten on release day (it has the Apple logo) but going forward I won't be doing that. Next iPhone I get I'll wait a month or two to let the bugs iron out. It's just incredibly frustrating:
  1. Getting your hopes up high for something.
  2. You get home and it doesn't work as it should.
  3. You just wasted money and become very emotional.

I've NEVER found it wise to buy Apple stuff on day one. In January 2006 when it was time to buy the first ever Intel-based iMacs, I waited until that next month and it turned out that I was right for doing so; there was a glitch that they needed to work out and it was fixed by the time I placed my order a month later. Did the same with my current gen iPad Air this past year; good thing too, the same model supposedly caught fire in London! It's smart to let Apple fix these things and to let the more foolish/impatient buy things on day one so that what you buy one or two months in is of higher quality and durability.

MarkieMark92

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
London, UK
Im in

Im buying the new one as love new apple stuff, queued up for hours for my iPhone 6, just hoping I'm not in early when the iPad release day is. Gonna pre-order online this time before going to the Apple Store I think :), can't be going through the big pushing in fiasco like what happened for the iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I've NEVER found it wise to buy Apple stuff on day one. In January 2006 when it was time to buy the first ever Intel-based iMacs, I waited until that next month and it turned out that I was right for doing so; there was a glitch that they needed to work out and it was fixed by the time I placed my order a month later. Did the same with my current gen iPad Air this past year; good thing too, the same model supposedly caught fire in London! It's smart to let Apple fix these things and to let the more foolish/impatient buy things on day one so that what you buy one or two months in is of higher quality and durability.

I was a bit foolish in thinking Apple was different and that they would only release products that just work. Apparently not and my future purchasing habits will reflect that..

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006

I waited this long to buy because when the first Airs and Retina Minis were released, I knew that they would probably iron out bugs/upgrade to proper hardware on the up coming new iPads, especially with 8.1 coming.

I could stay for another year on my iPad 4 but after upgrading to 8.0.2, I notice some lagging effect in the GUI and Safari. Anyone else notice that Safari tabs reload ALOT more after the new update?

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Not Sure.
Possibly thinking of the new "iPad Air 2", wifi, with 64GB+ in black. Or maybe a refurb. iPad Air 1 with 64GB or 128GB for presumably less $$ than they are now.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
How many of you here are going to get the iPad Air 2 or Retina Mini 2 on launch day? What size? and color?

I'm thinking (if base model is 32GB then awesome, if not then 16GB it is!)
16GB Gold LTE.

No idea because only Apple knows what will be introduced.

I want to know what's being offered, what cellular models are available, the specs and the price. Then I'll decide.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Waiting 3-4 weeks after launch to recoup $ spent and test them in store. If they have the 2gb RAM, retina 'hd' screen and are a bit lighter, yeah, I'll get one.

Just hope my 2010 iMac holds out until April next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.