iPad Air magnets

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sananda, Sep 24, 2015.

1. sananda macrumors 68020

Is the Smart Cover supposed to stick on the right hand side to the iPad? Or just on the left hand side?

Thanks.

2. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

It only sticks to the side opposite the volume buttons, so the left hand side if you are viewing the iPad with the home button on the bottom portion. This is so that it won't cover the volume buttons (and switch on older models). You can use the iPad "upside-down" if you'd prefer it to fold the other way.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Smart cover functions like a book cover, so left side only.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Sorry to hijack, but has anyone noticed that the iPad Air 2 Smart Cover only has magnets at the bottom when you fold it into a triangle. I can't believe how much less stable this Smart Cover is compared to iPad 2/3/4.

5. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Yeah - it also lost one panel, so it doesn't fold over itself...

6. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

I went to an Apple Store today and it turns out the Smart Cover is supposed to stick to to the right hand side of the iPad as well as the left. Mine doesn't. They say I have a defective iPad.

7. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Sorry if the Apple Store gave you extra stress, but that doesn't seem right at all - ever since the original Smart Cover, it's always attached on the side opposite the volume buttons. If yours is defective, then my Air 2 and the rest of the ones we have at work (2 minis and an iPad 4) are also defective. That would also mean that Apple's marketing materials are incorrect, since they only show it attached in that way: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MGXL2ZM/A/ipad-air-smart-cover-green

The iPads also only have the sensor to detect if the cover is closed on the right-hand side, so regardless of sticking, it won't function to sleep or wake your iPad.

8. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't mean that it attaches on the right hand side. I mean that having attached it on the left hand side, the right hand side of the iPad is also attracted to the Smart Cover by magnets. This isn't the case with my iPad but it is with the iPads in the Apple Store.

image.jpeg

9. 2457244 macrumors regular

That's not right... Maybe there is a difference in iPad Air and iPad Air 2 Smart Covers.

I noticed that on my iPad Air everything works fine but the Smart Cover doesn't stick as strong as on the iPad 3 or 4 that my sister owns. Probably because the Air is so thin.

10. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Ohhhhhh - my apologies for not understanding your question - I know the Air/Air 2 Smart Covers are weaker than their predecessors, especially when you turn the iPad upside-down. I thought mine was defective since it seemed to be weak and exchanged Smart Covers and even tried another iPad. I think that as the iPad got thinner, they had to use less strong magnets because folding the Smart Cover around back would cause some iPads to sleep - it also causes the Smart Cover not to always lay flat when the iPad is covered.:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-air-smart-cover-magnets-weak.1671227/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6488578?start=0&tstart=0

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-smart-cover-doesnt-lay-flat-on-screen-when-closed.1813465/

Either way, if you're close to an Apple Store, I'd take it in to see if you can recreate it with one of theirs (they should be pretty understanding).

11. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

Yup, they recreated the problem. The iPad has been returned to John Lewis (the store I bought it from) and I'm awaiting a replacement.

12. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Glad to hear - I hope the replacement works as expected! Good luck :)