Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun putting together the iPad-specific App Store in anticipation of the upcoming iPad launch. iPad-only Apps have begun to be approved and organized. MacRumors has managed to access the iPad's best seller lists which reveal several of the iPad App Store launch titles. The lists show several dozen applications with release dates as far back as March 19th.

142304-ipad_top_revenue_500.jpg

The fact that the iPad-specific applications are ranked suggests that the applications are being downloaded/purchased at least on a limited basis, despite the lack of iPad availability for the general public. A report yesterday indicated that a number of these iPad-specific applications had temporarily appeared in Apple's web-based 'iTunes Preview' App Store listing.

Early app prices seem to range from Free to $9.99 for the most part, with a few higher priced examples such as OmniGraphSketcher ($14.99) shown here:

150303-omni_500.jpg

It's important to note that all prices and descriptions may not be final as developers can make adjustments to these items at any time. Wi-Fi models of Apple's iPad are scheduled to launch in the U.S. on April 3rd, with iPad-specific applications and services to go live on the same day.

Article Link: iPad App Store Reveals Launch Apps, Top Seller Lists, App Details

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Some of those prices look awfully high. I suppose the market will sort it out over time.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Flight Control HD looks like it may be much more complicated on the iPad. Imagine dozens of planes flying around a 9.7" area. Total chaos.

aaronptrck

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
California
Maybe I was the only one who thought this but I thought you would automatically get a free upgrade if you've already purchased a game for the iPhone or iPod Touch.

I officially do not want an iPad after finding out you have to re-buy a game just to get a higher quality version. NOT COOL!

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
My big concern will be the requirement, or lack of, to repurchase an iPad version of an app that I've already purchased for the iPhone. For instance, if I've already bought Doom: Resurrection, will I need to also buy the iPad version of this app (if it exists), or will I just be able to download a higher resolution iPad version of this game for free?

I suppose this will be up to the individual developer. Either consider the scaled up graphics a completely new paid version of the app or simply a free separate build of the same app.

damnyooneek

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2005
what is up with the prices? the extra screen space requires 5x the price on basically the same app? rip off.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
why would you get a free update for a game? Just because you brought the iphone version you are suppoes to get a free update for the ipad? some of yall are stuck in a world that is not real. the apps are priced fair. find me a game on the psp or the ds that is 5.99

Paperboy2010

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
My big concern will be the requirement, or lack of, to repurchase an iPad version of an app that I've already purchased for the iPhone. For instance, if I've already bought Doom: Resurrection, will I need to also buy the iPad version of this app (if it exists), or will I just be able to download a higher resolution iPad version of this game for free?

I suppose this will be up to the individual developer. Either consider the scaled up graphics a completely new paid version of the app or simply a free separate build of the same app.

I also thought this....if I have slingbox for iPhone, will I need to spend ANOTHER $30 bucks for Slingbox for iPad? I have about six pages of apps that I thought I could move, freely, onto my iPad next Saturday. I'm going to be awfully cranky if I have to start buying a duplicate version.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
I also thought this....if I have slingbox for iPhone, will I need to spend ANOTHER $30 bucks for Slingbox for iPad? I have about six pages of apps that I thought I could move, freely, onto my iPad next Saturday. I'm going to be awfully cranky if I have to start buying a duplicate version.
You can use all of your iPhone apps on the iPad fine. These are new apps designed for the iPad.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

You will be able to use all those apps fine on your iPad, but you will have to buy (some) app that are designed specifically for the iPad. Example: Flight Control will work on your iPad if you already bought it. The graphic elements will just be, roughly, twice as big on the iPad. Flight Control HD is a new game which will not work on the iPhone and you will have to buy it separately if you want it.

Also, SOME apps will be "universal" versions meaning they will detect which platform they are running on and run accordingly. Apps which are done this way will upgrade to the iPad version free if you already have it.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
I just want to know how much the MLB At Bat app will be. That's the one app I have to have.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

You can absolutely move all your existing iPhone apps to your iPad as soon as you get it. You can either run it in native resolution or double the pixels. These new apps are NEW and are optimized specifically for the iPad. You don't need to buy Slingbox again :)

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
So there's going to be iPhone apps, iPad apps, and universal apps... I really hope they get the App Store ready for this.

I bought a fifty dollar iTunes gift card in preparation for the iPad launch... probably not going to be enough considering I'm going to buy all the iWork apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.