iPad Cited in Huge Spike in New App Store Application Development

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Mobile analytics firm Flurry today released a report revealing trends seen in its user data for the month of January. Among the more interesting developments discussed in the report was a nearly three-fold surge of new App Store applications registered with Flurry to integrate its analytics into the applications. Such increases have typically been seen in advance of new device launches, and thus Flurry hypothesizes that the growth was the result of excitement surrounding Apple's iPad despite the fact that the device was not formally introduced until the very end of the month.
Developers integrating Flurry analytics into iPhone OS applications in January increased by nearly three times over December. This represents the single largest spike in Flurry history, with over 1,600 new iPhone OS application starts for January. Historically, Flurry has measured surges in new application starts within its system in anticipation of new device launches, including for the Motorola Droid and iPhone 3GS. As such, we hypothesize that excitement generated by Apple's iPad event in January is driving this growth. For developers who get a jump on customizing their applications for the iPad, there may be an opportunity to stand out early on, and earn more downloads.
Similar data for the Android platform has demonstrated steady growth ramping up over the past six months, with only a 25% jump in new project starts between December and January, substantially lower than that seen for iPhone OS. Consequently, the proportion of new starts dedicated to iPhone OS applications compared to Android rose to its highest level since last July.

Article Link: iPad Cited in Huge Spike in New App Store Application Development

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

jtgotsjets said:
Wow, look at that inverse correlation between Android apps vs iPhone apps.
That's because its a percentage based graph between the two platforms. As there is only ever 100 possible units, as one increases that leaves less for the 2nd platform and vice versa. :)

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
Yeah, I'm one of the reasons why that Android bar is heading downhill. Running out to pick up my first Mac today and start tinkering. I'm so sick of having my apps work on one device, and behave in totally baffling manners on others. Thanks, Google, for giving us dozens of different target platforms.

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Things to consider..

Apple only launched the iPad on January 27th...4 days before the end of the month and the SDK after.

Also Apple's approvers took the end of December off and started fresh in January.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Apple only launched the iPad on January 27th...4 days before the end of the month and the SDK after.

Also Apple's approvers took the end of December off and started fresh in January.
They did?

Do you have a link to support this? I hope that went into consideration for the report if that is in fact true!

https://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165207334&type=profile™

ParisParamus

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
My guess is that the chip and capabilities of the iPad are going to change upwards; the current device isn't going to appeal to very many people.

MGrizam

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
well

now this is where it gets interesting, i'm not a big fan of how the ipad fits into my life currently, but the developers can change that... we'll see i guess

robEstyles

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

That's because its a percentage based graph between the two platforms. As there is only ever 100 possible units, as one increases that leaves less for the 2nd platform and vice versa. :)
I was about the state this exact thing. The percentages can't show a correlation because if one goes up the other has to go down. You need to see the actual number of apps being developed for both platforms and I'm pretty sure both will be seeing an upward trend just that Apple's is more substantial. It's not taking away from Android development its just much larger than Android development.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

robEstyles said:

I was about the state this exact thing. The percentages can't show a correlation because if one goes up the other has to go down. You need to see the actual number of apps being developed for both platforms and I'm pretty sure both will be seeing an upward trend just that Apple's is more substantial. It's not taking away from Android development its just much larger than Android development.
Yep! Even the article shows an increase in Android development.

Statistics can be a minefield if you look at them the wrong way! :p

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I like my Nexus One. Don't see the iPad as anything I need when I already have a laptop and a desktop and a smartphone. It would be a waste of $500 for me.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
My guess is that the chip and capabilities of the iPad are going to change upwards; the current device isn't going to appeal to very many people.
Based on the above-published data, your guess is grossly off the mark. The people it won't appeal to are the people it wouldn't have appealed to in the first place--and the majority of those are anti-Apple zealots.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

dwd3885 said:
I like my Nexus One. Don't see the iPad as anything I need when I already have a laptop and a desktop and a smartphone. It would be a waste of $500 for me.
If that is the case then the iPad isn't for you. I bet there are plenty of people out there who would like a simple internet browser with a nice selection of multimedia functions.

I was dubious at first and have come to the conclusion that it isn't for me but there is a market for this thing. (Looks at wife) :)

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
what if you want to read a book, surf the web, play a game in a cramped space like a bus or coach on an aeroplane with more screen real estate than any smartphone.

A laptop is fantastic for sitting in starbucks with a little table or a lap. but I can see myself not using my MBP as much with a iPad in hand... I could do almost all the same work with an ipad when I'm out as I can with a laptop(writing, emails, web browsing) and it's way lighter than a laptop.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Based on the above-published data, your guess is grossly off the mark. The people it won't appeal to are the people it wouldn't have appealed to in the first place--and the majority of those are anti-Apple zealots.
i'm not anti apple, but i think the iPad (in it's current state) is seriously lame, which is the sole reason why it doesn't appeal to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.