iPad Deluxe at $70 Premium... Interested?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Feb 20, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Would you pay $70 more for an premium iPad with:

USB 2 port,
    HDMI - simple connection to HDTVs,
    Front Camera,
    Rear Camera with flash,
    Flash capable browser turn it on or off as desired,
    1GB of ram upgraded from just 256mb , no more checkered web pages,
    Dual Core processor,
    SD card storage,
    File system allowing simple drag and drop
    Of music and video from any computer
    Without the need for using iTunes,
    Wide format higher resolution screen

Sounds not bad for $70 more?

Xoom.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Does it play movies and TV shows from the iTunes store?
    Does it run all the apps I've purchased from the App Store?
    Will the OS be upgraded regularly?
    Does it have AirPlay for wireless streaming of Video and Audio?
    Will it work with my iPad keyboard dock?

Doesn't sound very appealing to me, to be honest so I think I'll stick with the iPad

3. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Grow up. I have a powerful, lightweight laptop that takes care of general purpose computing.

A man cannot reasonably prove or disprove that there are 300 billion stars, so what do you expect? However, a man can check the paint on a bench, so will do out of curiosity and the fact that they have the immediate capability. It's got absolutely nothing to do with Murphy's Law, which states, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". You clearly do not understand that old adage.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Not really fussed on any of this apart from the RAM and processor bump.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No bad at all, provided its running iOS, syncs easily and seamlessly with iTunes. Has the stability and fast updates of iOS (motorola does not update the OS very quickly). Has the iOS app store, which is superior then the google marketplace.

6. cube macrumors G5

Widescreen sucks. The iPad has the right format.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Until apple comes out with a widescreen version :p

The same comments could be read about multitasking on a phone - until apple introduced their version of multitasking

8. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Haha, exactly. Apple Fanboys are way too predictable.

9. cube macrumors G5

This is not a fanboy comment. Widescreen is a bad format for a tablet, as well as for a desktops and TVs. For a 15" notebook 16:10 might be acceptable, if it's better adapted for bags.

16:9 sucks for everything.

10. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

You may prefer one os over another but from a hardware value point of view , looks worthy of $70.

Have to see what the iPad 2 offers and at what price.

I would not be surprised to see Apple increase the price on the next model.
    It's not like Apple to sell products at the low end of the market.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There's no point in more powerful hardware if the platform is the wrong one. That's like saying I could buy a "more powerful" desktop than my current iMac but it runs windows: That one point makes it completely useless to me, and it's the same with the Xoom.
    I couldn't care less about the hardware specifications because it doesn't run iOS and, having tried the android road in the past, it's a path I have zero interest in re-treading at this point in time (although that could change if the fallout from Apple's subscription grab causes a lot of providers to abandon iOS).

The Xoom isn't an "iPad Deluxe", it's a completely different device

12. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

But the question is would you pay $70 more for an iPad with those upgrades?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot separate the hardware and the OS/software and then say that the 70 dollar price difference is worth it.

I did not buy an iPad because of its hardware specs, I bought it because of what it could do, in terms of the OS and software.

Likewise if I opted for a Xoom, it would be because its satisfying a need. That is the OS and software would be aiding me. I think its a mistake to be a specs whore. Every new device is going to beat a previously released product from a hardware perspective.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's kind of a moot point because we're not going to see flash support, a file system, or syncing w/o iTunes.

You want all that, then the android based tablet is a better fit.

15. hoxley macrumors regular

16. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

Yes!

I was all in right until it said

Motorola

And I'm actually considering a xoom

17. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

While we are at it, did you know you could build a desktop for less than half of that, and it would absolutely BLOW the Xoom out of the water?

I don't own an iPad, but IMO, a lot of the people on these forums that do probably picked the iPad because of the integration with their other Apple toys.

18. Zcott macrumors 68020

Can't quote this enough.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Apple almost never increases the price of a device once it's set. It either stays the same (I'm sure it will) or drops. I only say "almost never" because I don't know if they've actually increased the price on anything in the last decade (anything before Jobs seriously doesn't count).

20. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac mini?

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Again, we're really going to have to wait and see, both in the UK and the US to see the price and spec of both the iPad2 and the Xoom

I know many many people are just waiting and wondering on this.

In the UK we are of course wondering if Motorola will bump the UK price up like Apple have done for no good reason.

Before any sales tax / vat I mean.

It would be great if the before sales tax price was a direct £ / $ conversion.
    And to be honest, there is no reason why it should not be.
    It would still end up more expensive to the UK consumer due to our much higher sales tax. But at least the before tax price should be the same.

At the moment a $799 price in the US would be a £487.80 price in the UK before sales tax.

22. Piggie, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed. $499 when launched and $699 now. Before sales tax

A 40% price rise on the original model!

Just to add, I don't think Apple will raise the price of the iPad2, for the same memory capacity as iPad1 as with Honeycomb tablets on it's heels that would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Having said that, I'm sure, after the Mac Mini was launched and future changes were being made, if someone on the forums stated than in time Apple would raise the price of the base Mac Mini by 40% of what it was, they would be shouted down and called stupid for even suggesting such a thing.

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Indeed.

I still think Apple's history still favors the iPad staying the same price. It seems to me that they tried hard to hit the low end price. It's even more important now that other manufactures are coming out with competitors and are having a hard time hitting that price point.

Obviously I could be wrong, but that's my logic.

24. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

No need to be condescending. Everyone has different ideas on what they want out of a device.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

How much would you pay to add a barometer or a proximity sensor to your iPad?

Answer: Nothing. Those are features that are worthless. Are you actually planning on holding your Xoom up to your face?

In fact, they are worse than worthless. Because they indicate to me that the people who engineered the device were clueless. The sort of people who really don't understand what it is that makes the iPad succesful - and all the "me too" devices not.

The sort of fools who think that people actually get excited about a computer file system. ("Oh goody! I can actually see this file named AccSpecfc.dll. I don't have a clue what it does - but Android lets me play with it. It's sooo empowering!")

The sort of fools who loudly sneer that the iPad is "just a consumption device" - and then turn around and gush over a widescreen tablet whose main appeal seems to be watching movies. And not much else.

The desperation and confusion emanating from the Android Drones is pathetic and more than a little amusing.