Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162138-deustche_bank_2q10_portables.jpg

Fortune reports on a new research report from Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore, which shows that if the iPad were to be categorized as a portable computer along with netbooks and notebooks, Apple would have held the third highest share of global portable computer sales for the second quarter of this year behind HP and Lenovo.

Apple's jump was driven by strong growth in its existing portables segment combined with a tremendous launch quarter for the iPad.
"When including the iPad as part of the NB [notebook] market," he writes, "Apple leapt over Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba and Dell in terms of global unit share."

Viewed this way, Apple goes from being No. 7 in the worldwide portable computer market to No. 3, after only Hewlett Packard (HPQ) and Acer. And it's not stopping there, says Whitmore.
According to Whitmore's data from retail stores, the shift continued into July, with the iPad continuing to cannibalize netbook and low-cost notebook PCs. He believes that investors will increasingly include tablets in their calculations of portable markets as consumers turn to the devices for many of the tasks for which they previously relied upon notebooks and netbooks, thus validating his view of Apple's performance during the quarter.

Article Link: iPad Drives Apple to Third Place Among Global Portable Computer Manufacturers

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Now people will see why iPhone sales were down in 2nd qtr. I like to see market-share for mobile OSs.

aughsum

May 6, 2010
This makes the internet argument i got into on fatwallet about the ipad taking over the netbook market that much more satisfying, in an internet argument kind of way.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Good. Makes sense. The notebook was an outdated form before the iPad ever came out. It was crap design from conception, aside from being a computer you take from desk to desk to bridge work/office and home/abroad. Semi-portable computing. More like transferable computing design.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The iPad is considered to be a mobile computer? Their definition is pretty loose. It's mobile but hardly much of a computer.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I find charts such as these to be useless. Jobs himself said that the iPad is not to be confused with notebooks or netbooks. And most people view the iPad as being something totally different than the latter two, despite the main commonality, which is being able to surfing the web on-the-go. Personally, I don't even understand why they (the analysts) view notebooks and netbooks in the same light, when their functions and capabilities are usually on vastly different levels. But, being able to surf the web, play music, and edit documents are the defining characteristics of today's "portable computers."

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
... shows that if the iPad were to be categorized as a portable computer along with netbooks and notebooks, Apple would have held the third highest share of global portable computer sales for the second quarter of this year behind HP and Lenovo.

Ok... But it's not a portable computer like netbooks and notebooks...

Should the iPod Touch be a portable computer?

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
"When including the iPad as part of the NB [notebook] market," he writes, "Apple leapt over Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba and Dell in terms of global unit share."

Well...is this survey, then, ALSO taking into considerations of NETbook sales by those manufacturers?

The iPad certainly is not a notebook. If anything, the iPad is closer to a netbook. So if these charts/figures are going to lump the iPad into the laptop computer market, the author(s) should also include netbook sales to keep the playing field fair. It's hard to tell exactly how all these were compared.

Moreover, the iPad certainly is not a notebook or netbook. Heck, why didn't this report also include the iPhone or iPod Touch as comparisons...sheeeeez. I find it very hard to believe that when you take Apple notebook sales (X) and add in 3 million iPads sold (Y) that X+Y is greater than alllllll of Dell notebook sales. No way, Jose.

-Eric

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
I think this sentence in the article already answered your question:

" if the iPad were to be categorized as a portable computer along with netbooks and notebooks"

Well...is this survey, then, ALSO taking into considerations of NETbook sales by those manufacturers?

The iPad certainly is not a notebook. If anything, the iPad is closer to a netbook. So if these charts/figures are going to lump the iPad into the laptop computer market, the author(s) should also include netbook sales to keep the playing field fair. It's hard to tell exactly how all these were compared.

Moreover, the iPad certainly is not a notebook or netbook. Heck, why didn't this report also include the iPhone or iPod Touch as comparisons...sheeeeez. I find it very hard to believe that when you take Apple notebook sales (X) and add in 3 million iPads sold (Y) that X+Y is greater than alllllll of Dell notebook sales. No way, Jose.

-Eric

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Not sure

If you ask me, the analysis is skewed. I could see comparing the iPad to netbooks, but if you're trying to compare all mobile computers including notebooks, then you're really talking across a very broad range of machines where neither an iPad nor a typical netbook really belongs. I'll grant that Apple's notebook sales are strong, too, but in many ways you're just playing with too many different classes of machine in one group.

A better question to ask is: Exactly how is Apple's iPad sales comparing to typical netbook sales by the different manufacturers?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
A lot of people are buying iPads instead of Netbooks, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing. Some people just don't need a Netbook so they get the iPad because it's nice, sleek, shiny and fun.

I bought a Netbook because being able to use USB accessories was very important to me.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
How do they define the term 'portable computer' anyway? Do they count the Apple iPod Touch? The iPhone? How about the LiveScribe Pen w/ its ARM 9 150 MhZ processor.

TheFro

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2009
In my mind the iPad is NOT a portable computer. A portable computing applicance? Yea, thats fine.

Yah, i would put iPads in the MID (mobile internet device) class...

If it doent run a full OS it shouldnt be lumped with anything that does, because that makes all the difference. (full apps, no walled garden )

A better question to ask is: Exactly how is Apple's iPad sales comparing to typical netbook sales by the different manufacturers?

People are buying them instead of netbooks due to size and ease of use, so it would make more sense to see the data of how iPads are eating netbook sales...

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
A lot of people are buying iPads instead of Netbooks, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing. Some people just don't need a Netbook so they get the iPad because it's nice, sleek, shiny and fun.

I bought a Netbook because being able to use USB accessories was very important to me.

The iPad is a computer just like a netbook, desktop, or laptop.

Get over it...this is where everything mobile is coming to.

Everybody under the SUN wants to make an ipad clone...and all of them will fail...except for some of the android ones..

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It really doesn't matter what Jobs, analysts, or anybody else want to classify the iPad as. The only thing that matters is how consumers see it and from the looks of it, they certainly are choosing an iPad over a low end notebook/netbook in ever increasing numbers. This chart just perfectly illustrates that fact.

It's obvious since the majority of what a netbook is used for is simple tasks like web browsing and email.

I used to have a netbook and it was torturous attempting to run something like Adobe CS on it. Never used it much other than web surfing and emailing which the iPad is far better at and more enjoyable doing on than a netbook.

Nowadays I like to use full powered desktop for real work, an ipad for around the house casual use (often on a couch or in bed), and a smartphone for mobile use away from home. Each one is best suited for its specific task.

I really don't see the point of a netbook anymore for the majority of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.