Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I thought the question of whether or not the iPad was an ereader or a tablet computer was settled when it debuted. And no one called it a computer. It's not even that capable of an ereader let alone a computer. Calling the iPad a tablet computer is like calling the old Motorola Rzar a smart phone.

They don't do that, but they do put really old Windows Mobile phones and low end symbian phones are in the smart phone category. Some of these phones (that account for a very large market share) most people wouldn't put in anywhere near the same class as the iPhone.

In the computer category, there is a huge difference between selling a netbook and a mac pro ($300+ vs $3000+), but they are in the same classification. If anything this just tells you that these types of statistics really don't tell you much anyway. It is kinda like comparing the Lexus brand to the Toyota brand... nobody would ever do that in the auto industry... but it happens in electronics all the time.

I am going to have to dispute you on the ereader front. It is the best ereader I've ever used and the only one capable of handling and searching reference books easily. eInk books are not too bad for reading fiction, but they are unusable for anything else. Apple also has a nicer 3rd party store stance. You can buy epubs or pdfs from any drm-free store and they look great. They also have readers for Amazon, B&N, and Borders if you own another device that you primarily use for fiction while reserving the iPad for non-fiction. In that case, the only advantage is the eInk for a slow front-to-back reading. Anytime you need to search or want superior text and graphics rendering, the iPad is much better. I also think the iPad is closer to a computer then an eReader because it is a multi-function device.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I thought the question of whether or not the iPad was an ereader or a tablet computer was settled when it debuted. And no one called it a computer.

False.

The problem is that many things that were far less powerful or useful for computer applications than an iPad have been called computers by almost everybody. Except for developers (a small fraction of the population), most people can run far more total computer applications, and far more sophisticated applications, on an iPad (and iPhone) than on the earliest versions of the IBM PC or Apple Mac.

So many people who knew their computer history easily called the iPad a computer.

About the only thing missing is MSBasic for educational purposes (but, with a bit more difficulty, you get to use Javascript instead) .

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
A netbook is also hardly a computer. If you are going to include netbooks, you might as well include iPads.

If a netbook is hardly a computer, computers must have not been around for very long, maybe 5 years or so... :rolleyes:

People, a Gameboy from 1991 is a computer. So is an Altair from 1976. So is ENIAC from the 1940s.

All very much different, all very much meeting very different needs and having very different purposes, but all sharing the name Computer.

Computer is a generic term. A. Very. Generic (and look up this word it's important). Term.

Now you can go around claiming an iPad isn't in the same market segment as a laptop or that a netbook is a whole new computing paradigm and argue all of that to your hearts content. But arguing whether something is or isn't a computer just makes you sound really ignorant if you're on the "isn't" side and aren't discussing about a fresh crop of lettuce.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In my opinion, this survey is bogus for one reason: the iPad is NOT a true portable computer in the classical sense. The iPad certainly does not run a full desktop operating system like Windows 7 or MacOS X 10.6.4, and the iPad certainly doesn't offer lots of local storage like a real portable computer can.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
In my opinion, this survey is bogus for one reason: the iPad is NOT a true portable computer in the classical sense. The iPad certainly does not run a full desktop operating system like Windows 7 or MacOS X 10.6.4, and the iPad certainly doesn't offer lots of local storage like a real portable computer can.

Please read the post immediately before your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.