Ipad feels heavy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aleni, Apr 24, 2010.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

Do you guys feel it's quite heavy to hold the ipad with one hand and using it while laying on the couch?

2. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Got mine yesterday! Yeah it is a bit heavy I have to admit, especially when in the same position for a long time. but I guess you have to understand how much technology is in these devices.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

No. My 5 year old son doesn't think so either.

4. MikeCase macrumors member

MikeCase

Grow some muscle :D

Just kidding :p but in all seriousness, all I ever hear is that it's too heavy or surprisingly light.

I thought it was going to be heavier before I got mine, so I feel it's light ;)

5. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

6. tdream macrumors 65816

Thought it was going to be heavier than it actually is. You get used to it quite quickly.

7. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

8. Spudracer macrumors 6502

It's pretty densely packed with technology so yeah, it's a little heavy. But , when you think about it the iPad is about the same weight as a 1,000 page hardcover book. I usually rest the iPad on my lap if I'm sitting up or my chest when I'm laying in bed. Overall, I think it's amazingly light given the performance.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Another player and I went 48 Rounds of Call of Duty Zombies Online.
    Almost 2 hours of game play.
    I was sitting on the side of my bed holding the iPad with both hands, sometimes propping my elbows on my knees.

When the game was over, my arms felt like I had a full workout. lol
    They were burning. Almost 2 days later and I still have some burn in my muscles. lol.

Hit the Gym.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The price you pay for a 10 hour battery. :(

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The iPad weighs the same as a McDonald's Quarter Pounder and large coke. Most Americans have no problem lifting that... Maybe the iPad will be good for you.
    :p

12. biomathdude macrumors member

The Kindle has definitely set an expectation for the weight of an e-reader. I only first noticed the iPad weight when trying to read something. It doesn't bother me otherwise. It's a mental thing. Kindle's niche is perfectly safe for now.

13. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It is probably because you are holding one big battery in your hand, but it lasts.

14. Doju macrumors 68000

I am absolutely dumbfounded that people are calling a device that weighs ONE and a half pounds heavy. What is the world coming to? Go to the gym people. People curl literally dozens of times heavier than that for many reps.

I'm reading a book right now, and I was curious how much it would weigh in comparison to the iPad, as the iPad is a much bigger device and would obviously be heavier. Went to the scale, 2.2lbs. Weighs MORE than the iPad and I've not even thought it was heavy whatsoever.

Wow. A pound a half is now heavy.

15. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

FTW!!!

16. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

LOL

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

LOL!!!

18. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Great illustration of how the perception of weight is very much off - I just weighed an 800 page cooking book, came out to 4.8 pounds. That's over 3x the weight. Then I weighed a 250 page softcover, but robust book with good paper quality. It came out to 2lbs. Both these books were very close to the height and width of the iPad.

It feels heavier than it looks, that is for sure. But in practice, Esp if you use it in the same manner as a book you use for several hours, it is far more ergonomic. You're not gonna be holding a book in one hand for hours, why would you try it with the iPad? Because it's supposed to be a "large iPod touch."?

19. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

i also felt it was heavy to begin with, after a weeks use, its very light and easy to use.

20. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

At one and a half pounds and you think it's heavy, you should be less worried about iPad ownership and more worried about working out or something.

21. Pinkpower macrumors newbie

It's funny. I was holding an iPad at the store the other day and a man that was about 10X my size said the iPad was heavy. I'm not sure what people are expecting. This product houses a lot more inside of it than a Kindle.

BTW, I'm a girl and it feels fine to me. I guess men are becoming more like weaklings as we gain more power in this world.

22. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I truly agree with you on that. Times are changing. I blame the murse and skinny jeans! :p

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Guy's get off the workout comments (although everyone needs to). I lift weights 5 times a week for 45 to 60 minutes, run 40+ miles a week and have 5 to 7% body fat. I also think it's a little on the heavy side. However it's weight is directly related to the large "gas tank" it has. While I would like it to come in under 1lb I would not be willing to trade .5lb for less battery time.

24. Pinkpower macrumors newbie

In your case, I think the iPads "heaviness" is more psychological. I lift 2 times a week for 45 to 60 minutes a day, run as much as I need to feel proud of myself, and I could care less about measuring my body fat in fear of disappointment. I find the iPad to be of perfect weight. You men are really beginning to disappoint. No wonder more lesbians are starting to appear.

25. scotty56 macrumors regular

Lift weights. Over time it will feel lighter to you;)