iPad From the Horses Mouth

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Huntn, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

May PC World (2012) declares that the iPad3 is killing the Android competition. We knew that, but it's nice to hear it from the other side. :)

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

PC World is the other side? PC World is not Google, does not own Android and thus is not really the other side. Also, it wasn't really a fair comparison and seemed quite bias towards Apple.

3. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

The Transformer Prime's new gps antenna dongle is going to skyrocket it past the iPad, just you wait and see!

4. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Both platforms have a lot to offer, I like the way android natively does a lot of my communication stuff with Google, it's great on a tablet. I also like how any app can use the API to "share via". After using the iPad for a bit, sometimes I wish it had a back button and a recent app button, those two things, for me, really help moving around. (it's not iOS gestures are bad, it's just not as fast) The ability to access the file system and use multiple cloud storage solutions in a seamless way is a big deal for me also. Real widgets, don't get me started, are awesome and I wish iOS had them...

That being said, the new iPad is amazing, the apps seemingly blow away their android counterparts. The display is hands down the best thing I have ever looked at. iOS is snappy and polished and feels good to use. The iPad feels nice to hold in the hand and is hard to put down. Add iTunes U to the mix and it's just been great.

I say get both and win twice :)

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

6. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Help me find in that article where PC World declares the iPad3 is killing the Android competition.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The words are not said, it's inferred. :)

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

So in your original post you say that PC World declared and then change your story to they didn't actually say it but it is inferred. You readily make it apparent that you are clueless and don't know what you are talking about.

9. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Ney.

10. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with the responses, adding to it that the OP clearly seems to want to start a biased "haha Apple's better, their's is not" thread. TBH I'm really disappointed at folks like that which contributes to the Apple community looking like tunnel-visioned fools.

There's lots of product diversity in the tablet market and even the iPad doesn't make a perfect score with me (regarding the new iPad 3). It's good to see that the competition is able to produce something different but they have other challenges ahead before any one of them becomes a serious threat to Apple's tablet marketshare.

The article does not show anything significant that we don't already know, the performance of the iPad isn't perfect across the board and there's several situaitons where it performs similarly to the iPad 2. The new retina display means apps that don't make use of it appears lackluster.

If you ask me I wish they went a little deeper into web browsing performance. From my experience Safari is pretty fast and not choppy when you scroll through pages, something I sometimes see with even Atomic or iCab. However Safari's still suffering from an address bar security flaw which still hasn't been patched (allowing Javascripting to spoof the content in your address bar) and it lacks a lot of features other browsers do (like gesturing and fullscreen support).

11. astral125 macrumors 6502

I think it is funny you are getting negative clicks even though you are obviously being sarcastic.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

13. matttye macrumors 601

They didn't write about anything that the Android tablets do better than the iPad, such as ease of switching memory cards, so it's very easy to store lots of data on your devices.

None of what they say is actually incorrect imo, but they're not touching upon anything that Android does better. It's a very biased article. It's like it was written by someone whose needs are perfectly met by an iPad, and they tried out the other tablets knowing that the iPad is better suited for them.

14. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Why do you want the competition killed off? Common sense, and experience, suggests that's a terrible outcome for the consumer.

So, why?

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Interesting that PC world would write a biased article towards Apple. :eek:

16. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Yep, nothing good about lack of competition. Competition is always good for the customer.

17. ChrisTX, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

While Google has obviously been successful with Android in the phone market, they're really struggling in tablets. Serious question because I haven't checked, but are there even 100 tablet optimized apps for Android Tabs? That to me, is why Google is losing. Coupled with the fact that the iPad isn't tied to a specific carrier like the iPhone was in the beginning. Everyone wanted an iPhone at first, but many had to settle for Android because it was the closest offering that was available to them through their carrier. Everyone has been predicting the decline of the iPad over time, but so far I haven't seen any real competition.

18. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I am humbled by the withering response, but we got lots of assumers hanging out in this forum :D.

Why would you assume that? I'm just reporting a PCWorld article that puts a positive spin on an Apple product and my take on it. So hang me from the nearest tree. You guys clearly need to lighten up. :D

19. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

No assumption required. You said it was nice to hear Apple is killing Android, surely.

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Good ponts. Had the original iPhone been available on Sprint and Verizon what would the smartphone landscape look like? And all these stories we see about Android having 35% market share, what is the figure if you exclude Kindle's and Nook's. No way do I believe Transformer Prime and Galaxy Tab have 35% of the tabloid space. Otherwise you'd see more people with them. Also I work for a Fortune 100 company and all the tablet development we're doing is on the iPad. That might change when Windows 8 tablets come out. No one ever talks about Android.

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Ok, you don't assume. There is figurative killing and literal killing. Which one did you choose? And yes, I love it when an Apple product outshines a PC or a Google product. :)

22. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Thank you Jimmy Olsen. :)

In all seriousness, I have to agree with Hyper-X when he states...

There are way too many threads started here with an agenda. I always get that "Stuart Smalley" feeling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY when I see threads started like this. As if one has to trash Android, or the iPad 1, or the iPad 2, or something...to justify their new iPad purchase.

In addition, the article is just plain awful. It starts with one of the stupidest journalism tricks in the book...asking an asinine open ended question like "Is it game over?" just to get a reaction.

The story then goes on to state that the new iPad streaks to the head of the pack (was the iPad 2 not already at the head of the pack?). The author totally "punts" on the battery stating "While our tests of battery life and recharge times are still pending". WTF...hasn't there been hundreds of analyses on this already? Yet PC World says they haven't gotten around to testing? (rolls-eyes)

Lastly, I'd choose a better metaphor next time. "iPad from the Horses Mouth". How does that relate to the article or your post? Not trying to be a grammer Nazi but you might want to choose a title with at least some relevance to your post.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Competition is good but too many choices not necessarily. Didn't HTC say a while back they were going to reduce the #of phones they make? I just went on their website and between AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile they sell 26 models. If you weren't a tech junkie could you tell the difference between an EVO, One, Vivid, Amaze, Wildfire, Sensation, Droid Incredible, Inspire or Rezound? They're all Android phones.

Or how about Samsung. These are all the Android models they have on their website: Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S Skyrocket, Rugby, Stratosphere, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S Aviator, Galalxy S Blaze, Replenish, Repp, Galaxy Attain, Exhibit II, Double Time, Transfix, Droid Charge, Infuse, Captivate, Nexus S, Continuum, Fascinate, Epic, Sidekick, Vitality, Galaxy Precedent, Gern, Admire, Conqure, Dart, Indulge, Ilusion, Transform, Transforn Ultra (Boost), Intercept, Showcase, Mezmerize, Vibrant, Galaxy Indulge, Acclaim, Galaxy Prevail, Gravity.

And the there's Motorola. Their Android offerings are: Droid 4, Droid Razar, Droid Razar Maxx, Atrix, Admiral, Bionic, Electrify, Droid 3, Droid X2, Photon, XPRT, i867, Titanium, Triumph, Atrix, i412, Milestone, Theory.

Honestly how is having so many models good for the consumer? Why would I chose a Galaxy S Skyrocket over a Blaze or Aviator? What's the difference between the Razar and Razar Maxx? With all that confusion its no wonder the iPhone sells as well as it does. The only thing I have to think about is storage size and color. And don't have to wonder if it has the latest OS, and if not if it will ever get it. Ok maybe iPhone is the extreme the other way, but there has to be some happy medium, no?

24. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

I made no assumptions, your intent is very clear in your first post. Then you go on to say...

Which clearly means you're drawing conclusions for things not stated or necessarily covered in the article. So who's making assumptions again?

So even if I am "assuming" at this point, you went on to say...

So again I go back to what I originally stated.

25. brand macrumors 601

brand

I compliment you on a very good post not entirely accurate. Apple still sell the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone4S. Which does complicate the decision for consumers that can't seem to be able to make a choice of their own without flooding MacRumors forums asking complete strangers what they should get.

iPhone 3GS Black 8GB
    iPhone 4 Black 8GB
    iPhone 4 White 8GB
    iPhone 4S Black 16GB
    iPhone 4S White 16GB
    iPhone 4S Black 32GB
    iPhone 4S White 32GB
    iPhone 4S Black 64GB
    iPhone 4S White 64GB

Adding to all that having to choose between three different carriers. I know I am making it out to be worse that it really is but for some people it really is that hard just like you said.