iPad & getting actual work done?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Photomax, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Photomax macrumors regular

I have a serious Mac Pro for photo and video editing. I also have a 15" MacBook Pro. My wife has my old 12" Powerbook which is really starting to show its age.

We are sort of the fence with replacing the Powerbook with either a iPad 2 or a new(ish) MacBook Air. I have zero experience with the iPad other than playing with it in the Apple Store and reading the amazing amount of buyer frenzy stories.

Let me finally get to my question: how much work can you do on these iPads?

* Can we set up two email accounts on the same iPad?
    * Can you go through photo albums and attach individual images to emails with real file names?
    * Can you manage web browser bookmarks like OS10 browsers can?
    * How bad is it not having the ability to create folders?
    * Will I be able to print documents etc with my wireless network and my Xerox color laser printer?
    * Can I do basic photo editing: naming files, cropping, resizing etc?
    * In a pinch can you edit hi res video files from Canon DSLR cameras?
    * Can I write HTML or CSS code?
    * Does the iPad output 1080i via HDMI out?
    * How well does the iPad handle Word documents, TextEdit, and TextMate documents?
    * Is there any password and keychain functionality?

Sorry, I know this is lot of questions. But all I see is tons of chatter about buying these iPads. What do users actually do with them?

I guess this might all seem like a round and about way of asking is the iPad a tool or a toy? If you need an external keyboard and a limiting cloud service to achieve file folder structure then maybe it just makes better sense to get an 11" MacBook Air? The Air costs more but the size, weight factor is pretty close and you get a lot more real OS functionality. But, all this Ipad buying frenzy makes me wonder what I could be missing? I do want to avoid realizing that most of this was pure hype and that working with these iPads is too limiting.

Thanks to any users who provide any insight here...

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

It's a toy for the most part. Click on my other posts to see what my wife and I have gone through to actually be able to get work done on it which is not much.

It's really a shame too because between the touch screen, 3G and size factor, this would be a great new way forward for us pro users, but Apple has handicapped the OS a pathetic amount.

We have the 64GB at&t version which seems to go for over a grand on eBay right now, we are strongly considering selling it and getting a loaded 11" Air...

3. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

The ipad is a tool in progress. Nothing is as efficient as on the full blown computer right now, but for doing stuff on the go a lot is possible.

* Can we set up two email accounts on the same iPad?
    Absolutely.

* Can you go through photo albums and attach individual images to emails with real file names?
    Any image can be emailed but you can't change the file name. It will generally send as Photo.jpg

* Can you manage web browser bookmarks like OS10 browsers can?
    It's not as robust, but yes.

* How bad is it not having the ability to create folders?
    Depends on your uses.

* Will I be able to print documents etc with my wireless network and my Xerox color laser printer?

You will need a third party application running on one of your macs to allow airprint to work with a non-airprint printer

* Can I do basic photo editing: naming files, cropping, resizing etc?
    absolutely. check out photogene. Not sure about naming the files though.

* In a pinch can you edit hi res video files from Canon DSLR cameras?
    I believe so (so long as your model uses an sd card and not cf) but i've heard reports of video not showing up with the camera connection kit from some cameras so you may have to just test it.

* Can I write HTML or CSS code?
    I don't think there's anything on the level of dreamweaver, but I do all my html/css work in notepad anyway, but now that you mention it, I'm gonna go look for something that will do syntax highlighting.

* Does the iPad output 1080i via HDMI out?
    It will do 1080p out (mirroring via the optional cable) but videos will only do 720p out.

* How well does the iPad handle Word documents, TextEdit, and TextMate documents?
    Depends on the complexity of the document. Text stuff should be fine, but word really depends.

* Is there any password and keychain functionality?
    Yes but it's never been very useful for me. though I believe onepassword or whoever the big password app on the mac is also does an ipad version.

Hope this helps.

4. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

the biggest drawbacks right now are:

no "photoshop for ipad" app (nothing close to being as robust as photoshop on the desktop

no real ability to share documents between apps in many circumstances

no ability to upload documents to websites.

5. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Only work purposes I use mine for are:

1. Taking notes in meetings. Use the native Notes app and organize them and synch them with my PCs using Evernote.

2. Reading PDFs. I'm a professor so I read a ton of scholarly journal articles. I've been doing some of that in Goodreader, though to be honest I still prefer printouts as they're easier to mark up, faster to flip through when teaching a seminar course or writing my own articles etc.

Other than that it's mainly a gadget I use for personal use--websurfing and e-mail on the couch, reading news and magazines, games etc. And I LOVE it for all that stuff.

For me to do any real work on a tablet it would have to be pretty much a full tablet PC with full MS Office etc. as the iWorks apps, Docs to Go etc. mess up too much formatting, tables and figures etc. in complex documents. Lack of USB port hurts as well as if I was going to travel with only a tablet I need a way to get my files onto a thumb drive so I can get my presentations on the laptops hooked up to projectors at conferences etc. A real use accessible, drag and drop file system and all apps having an open/save as menu would be huge plus for me as well. Not a big lacking on the iPad for what I use it for now, but I really want that if I'm going to really use a tablet in place of a laptop.

So on that front I'm interested to see what MS comes up with with the tablet OS etc. that they're working on that's supposed to come out late 2012. I'd love something similar to the iPad in form factor, battery life and OS designed around touch usage that was closer to a PC (or Mac) in functionality. Would cost more for sure, but I'd pay more for the extra functionality and hopefully being able to ravel with out a heavy laptop.

6. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I meant to mention this too. The iPad would be 10x better as a side work machine if it had MS Office (which isn't going to happen). The ipad isn't meant to replace a laptop, but I'd be pretty close to replace 90% of my laptop use if it had office and photoshop.

7. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guys!

This is some very good information...

Having more than one email account is huge.

Not looking for full Photoshop use here: just need to be able to crop and resize photos in a pinch.

I know some users use Dropbox as a way of obtaining folders for files etc.

I guess there is no FTP system?

8. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I agree. The lack of robust software is all that's keeping this from being a workhorse. But, that will change over time. For example, Documents To Go is great for Word documents in general. It just gets frustrating for certain small things that are a lot easier to do on Word (or that can't be done at all on an iOS device ...yet).

A lot of this could change if Apple didn't lockdown the OS so much. Give us simple access to the filesystem (akin to what one could do with Goodreader) and that solves a lot of the headaches that people are dealing with.

9. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

Highlighting the print via iPad question:

You will need a third party application running on one of your macs to allow airprint to work with a non-airprint printer

In practice is this any kind of hurdle? Right now I have a new Apple Airport Extreme running after my old wireless router died. It works great, even with the Xerox printer...

10. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I don't have my ipad in so I can't say really. The app I used is free (can't remember the name of it, but you can google printing to non airprint enabled printers and you'll find it pretty quick)

basically it shares the printer (via your computer) on the network in a way airprint can see. Once I actually get my ipad i'll let you know (if i remember to check this thread ;-) You could always buy one from apple (eventually) try it out, and if it doesn't work for you just sell it or return it.

11. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I don't agree with those calling it a toy.

I brought my 32 gb wifi to class for the first time today and took the best notes I've taken all semester (this might actually be a benefit of the lack of true multitasking). Notability is a great app.

Great for movie watching.

Great for casual games.

Great for commuting.

Great for lying in bed.

I almost prefer the browsing experience on the iPad to that of my laptop.

Is it ideal for power users who need to fine tune everything? Probably not. But it has its uses.

12. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

isn't that almost the definition of a toy? just being a pain lol, I think it's a toy that can be used productively. (^_^)

13. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Ok, so it is not a toy, but it is very limited in function.

So if I can have more than one email account on here, how do my wife and I do our email work in separate fashion using the mail app, the only way to send a photo due to no uploading from a web browser?

14. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

And not to hijack this, but now that I have figured out how to email a file named photo via Goodreader, how can my wife upload a pages document or PDF to the web?

If we can sort this out, we will keep it. If not, it goes and we get a MacBook Air...

15. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Would dropbox work?

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

What exactly do you mean by "upload to the web"? If this is related to your monster.com inquiry, then I believe someone said monster.com has its own app. Otherwise, I'm not aware that it can be done on the iPad since there's no filesystem (assuming you're talking about clicking on a button on a website and trying to attach a file).

17. kokesh macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

lol not to be mean but, as a fellow student, if notes on your iPad are the best ones youve taken all semester, you haven't been taking notes right.

and OP, Printopia on OS X works perfectly for AirPrint to non AirPrint printers. It couldn't be any easier to set up (it becomes a preference pane and you don't even notice it.) Its not free but I think it's only $10.

18. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

We got the monster app, but we are still looking for a more broad base approach...

19. Photomax thread starter macrumors regular

$10 for printing over a wireless network is just fine in my book.

I am now more leaning towards getting the iPad as the third computer in the house replacement...

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

OK. I'd be interested in a solution, too. The problem with iOS is that each box is its own little "sandbox" and there's no real mixing of files between apps. But, this begs the question whether one could download a file to goodreader, then use a browser within goodreader to try and upload a file. Haven't tried it yet and don't have my iPad with me, but just a thought.

21. kokesh macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

I didn't realize it (maybe I have an outdated version) but you can print to PDF straight to your dropbox with this also, which could help in lieu of a true filesystem as you mentioned. that way you could at least "save" PDFs or other stuff on the web to your iPad.

22. sanford macrumors 65816

I'm a writer, so I can get ALL my WORK done on it. (I don't have an AirPrint compatible printer, so I store my documents on my iDisk and print from my Air.) It's actually some non-work tasks -- like things I'd do in iPhoto -- for which I have to turn to my Air. I have a keyboard dock and the iPad version of Pages, and I use my iPad for writing and revisions more than I use my Air.

Most (print) journalists can likely use an iPad as their principal work tool, provided they're freelance and/or not required to use a publication's proprietary submission/storage system. Students, likewise, many will find an iPad suits everything they need in a personal computing device.

There are some visual artists, say comics artists, and even certain kinds of fine (visual) artists, who can probably get all their work done an iPad. It depends on what you do. If it's a toy, then anyone who uses a home PC or Mac exclusively for web, email, playing music and video, that computer is a toy, too. I'd say it's not a toy, it's a tool, but like all tools its usefulness for your particular applications varies. If you need robust photo and/or video editing, you'll want that MacBook Air over an iPad if you can only pick one.

For most people, however, an iPad functions for work-related tasks as a valuable adjunct tool. For many it will replace a laptop, although they'll still need a desktop for a lot more than syncing the iPad. Other than writers, most creatives and professionals must still rely on full-scale PCs, laptop or desktop, for various aspects of their work.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

I agree, a $829 maxed out ipad 2 3g 64GB vs. a loaded MBA 11 inch ($1399). The $470 price difference makes the 11 inch much more attractive especially if you intend to do real work.

The iPad 2 (at it's stage in it's developmental cycle) is really just a luxury toy. Great for "casual consumer consumption" like book reading, web surfing/email, minor games, movies.

But if you are wanting to do real work and still really want the iPad, I'd suggest you save yourself money and (IF you can afford it) just get the $499 base wifi ipad and get a MBA.

24. sanford macrumors 65816

Or get the base 16GB original iPad discounted to $399, while stores still have stock. I can't find anything to miss on the iPad 2 compared to the original iPad. If the iPad becomes an invaluable part of your work routine you can always jump in on the iPad 3 at full price next year.

"Luxury toy" is too extreme a diminishment of the iPad, though. It's fairly not a toy unless most PCs are toys, too. And for at least some segment of the professional consumer base, it's perfectly suited for work.

25. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple's software will NEVER allow the iPad to be what it could be. There are many "work arounds" to some of the stuff you want to do but to me the iPad is nothing more than an Internet Cruising Device.

You desktop and laptop have nothing to worry about:eek: