Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JorgeG

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
Take notes, write papers, and research are my work related features!

Anything but flash websites really! :)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
* Can you go through photo albums and attach individual images to emails with real file names?
Any image can be emailed but you can't change the file name. It will generally send as Photo.jpg

* Can I do basic photo editing: naming files, cropping, resizing etc?
absolutely. check out photogene. Not sure about naming the files though.

* In a pinch can you edit hi res video files from Canon DSLR cameras?
I believe so (so long as your model uses an sd card and not cf) but i've heard reports of video not showing up with the camera connection kit from some cameras so you may have to just test it.

* Can I write HTML or CSS code?
I don't think there's anything on the level of dreamweaver, but I do all my html/css work in notepad anyway, but now that you mention it, I'm gonna go look for something that will do syntax highlighting.

Just a few things:

For Canon DSLR video the answer is no, for now at least. If you have a 7D or T2i the videos can be imported but you can't even view them. I think the main reason is because the only h.264 profile the iPad has is for 720P video at 30FPS, and the lowest the t2i can go is 720p at 60fps. And it won't play back 1080p video.

Now if you jailbreak it I believe there is a hack that will allow it. The iPad 1 hardware could play back 1080p smoothly, so I have no doubts that it would be easy for iPad 2. It is mainly a software issue right now and I am hoping it will be addressed in iOS 5.

As for handling photos, it is not super robust. If you shoot RAW then you can see and edit jpeg previews, but apps can not access the original raw data. And to rename files you will have to import them to an app like Goodreader which can rename files then email them from inside that app. The good thing is GoodReader can create folders, so you can organize things, but it will be tedious because you have to import photos one at a time. (And it will just be the jpeg version)

As for HTML/CSS there are some decent apps that will let you connect to your server via FTP and download and edit files. The only one I have tried is textastic and it seems to work pretty well. The main issue for me is the software keyboard which is terrible for writing any kind of code. Textastic gives you a row at the top with all the symbols you will need but it takes a lot of getting used to. Using an external keyboard is still your best bet for writing code on the iPad.

I am expecting things to improve with iOS5, but no one knows what Apple will focus on with the next update so I wouldn't buy it with expectations that it will change.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
And not to hijack this, but now that I have figured out how to email a file named photo via Goodreader, how can my wife upload a pages document or PDF to the web?

If we can sort this out, we will keep it. If not, it goes and we get a MacBook Air...
I've been having a play about with iCab but haven't succeeded in actually uploading a file! You can send files from apps e.g. Mail, Goodreader to iCab and it will store them in it's downloads folder. You then should be able to upload these files to a website but I haven't found a site that it works on (it doesn't work on Macrumors! You can select the file but not upload it). From the iCab documentation (I have not tried the sites it mentions as I don't use them & don't have accounts):

"The iOS does not support file upload at all, so iCab has to take the file upload task out of the web page context and do it itself. This works fine as long as a web page lets the browser do its job when processing forms. iCab recreates the standard form processing when doing a file upload, so this is exactly what the browser would have done if file upload would be supported. But file hosters like rapidshare and megaupload do not want that the browser is doing its "job" and therefore these pages are overwriting the default form processing with their own form processing code. These pages disable iCab's own upload feature by overwriting it with their own upload code, and then they can only use the features which are supported by the iOS. And because the iOS does not support file uploads, you can't upload files on these web sites.

Also other sites rely on their own upload code instead of letting the browser do its job, like "yahoo mail" where you can not upload files for attachments.

But there are also many web pages, which do not mess up the standard form submit behaviour of a browser and on these web pages, the file upload feature works fine.

Here're a few examples where file upload works fine:

You can upload photos to your Flickr account.
Some less known file hosting sites like file-upload.net, sendspace.com and twwa.selfip.org do also work fine. "

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

And so the question still remains, how does my wife take advantage of 3G in the field and upload a Pages document created on the iPad to a website?

Utilities like Splashtop or LogMeIn have turned out to be a waste of money because we can't find a way to simply wake our home machine from sleep and really do not want to run it for weeks on end using either timed sleep or no sleep, not an option...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

And so the question still remains, how does my wife take advantage of 3G in the field and upload a Pages document created on the iPad to a website?

Utilities like Splashtop or LogMeIn have turned out to be a waste of money because we can't find a way to simply wake our home machine from sleep and really do not want to run it for weeks on end using either timed sleep or no sleep, not an option...

http://www.dropbox.com

or you could also use Apple's cloud.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I would say most things probably could be done but honestly there are many compromises that I think are not worth the effort.
If you are picky about doing things a certain way, I would avoid the iPad.
It's really a consumption device more than anything.
I would get the MBA.

Last edited:

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

Stealthipad said:
Macshroomer said:

http://www.dropbox.com

or you could also use Apple's cloud.

So we can use dropbox to upload a scientific paper to a website or a resume to Linkedin? How is that going to work if Safari does not reference the file in dropbox?

Or does it?

Sometimes we need more than the simplified answers given here, so explain step by step how you would do it.

And by the way, there REALLY needs to be a new iPad sub-forum on productivity, this all too important topic often gets buried among the other topics...

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

OceanView said:
I would say most thinks probably could be done but honestly there are many compromises that I think are not worth the effort.
If you are picky about doing things a certain way, I would avoid the iPad.
It's really a consumption device more than anything.
I would get the MBA.

But we are SO close on this now, the hardware is there, the battery life, the form factor, the fact we have 3G in the device instead of needing to tether or find a wifi spot.

It's just SO sad Apple has handicapped BASIC tasks with this, in my 24 years of using Mac devices professionally, it is truly the worst thing they have ever done...

whiskeyred

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
In the field of/video/film and commercial work I use it all the time. In pre-production, production and some in post.

I am finding more and more uses for it and have no problem editing word docs,
sending/receiving files, etc.

I think most of the OP's questions you will find a yes answer too. Video editing is a bit behind, iMovie is coming along but still a ways to go.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Filmmaker here

OP - for the demands you have, you really need a MacBook Pro 15 or above (or MacBook Air, at last go)

I love my iPad 2 and I actually do most of my photo work on it, but a desktop program for photo editing (PhotoShop, Aperture, etc) is the best

More importantly - video editing should not be handled solely on an iPad - no way

And lastly - unless I'm wrong, you really can't connect 'devices' into an iPad - for example, you can't shoot a film, store the footage on a seperate drive and then connect it to the iPad an launch iMovie --- not gonna happen

And believe me - you don't wanna use the iPad 2's camera for any film work

Hope that helps

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

So we can use dropbox to upload a scientific paper to a website or a resume to Linkedin? How is that going to work if Safari does not reference the file in dropbox?

Or does it?

Sometimes we need more than the simplified answers given here, so explain step by step how you would do it.

And by the way, there REALLY needs to be a new iPad sub-forum on productivity, this all too important topic often gets buried among the other topics...

Pretty sure there's no way to consistently upload files via Safari. There's your answer. I have NO doubt that this will be remedied in future iterations of iOS. This is after all a relatively young platform after all. But, if you need something to work right now, then you're better off going with the MBA. For what it's worth, I have both the iPad and the MBA and I carry both with me when I travel. I try and do as much as possible on my iPad, but frankly, most of my work is done on the MBA. I can see the day when this all changes and my iPad becomes my workhorse and my toy, but that day ain't today and it ain't coming in 2011.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
and btw

In argument against those who say it's a "toy"

My iPad probably saves me 1 hour of time everyday, because tasks that I use to do on my laptop, I now do on it --- if used right, it can make you a more productive person, far from "toy" land

Photomax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle
Thanks All,

I think we have more time now. The pressure was on as my wife's Powerbook kept demanding to be restated which prompted the Ipad vs. Air debate. I took the Powerbook to the Genius Bar. The system seemed fine to them but the guy suggested we try removing and replacing the Airport Card. It seems that some cards get slightly loose which can create kernel panics for the system. So far so good as the Powerbook (purchased way back in 2003) is running fine again.

I will say this: some the posts on this thread have been very informative. I am a long time power Mac user but know nothing about using an Ipad. The question is valid: once you add a large capacity Ipad, BT keyboard, and all the extra productivity workarounds does it make sense to go that extra distance and get an 11" MacBook Air? The Air will soon be running Lion which will make them even sweeter.

But, I think I am caving into my wants and will get the Ipad. We already have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro so even if this becomes the "couch" computer and my wife's main means of email and web surfing, it should fit into the mix nicely. I am a photographer so this might work as a nice portable portfolio presentation tool.

Being able to shuffle files around using an FTP client would be nice. So would editing and writing code as I also build websites. Sounds like this is doable on trips etc. Nice!

I do hope others will add more productivity tips and experiences though. Its good info for everyone.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

lol not to be mean but, as a fellow student, if notes on your iPad are the best ones youve taken all semester, you haven't been taking notes right.

and OP, Printopia on OS X works perfectly for AirPrint to non AirPrint printers. It couldn't be any easier to set up (it becomes a preference pane and you don't even notice it.) Its not free but I think it's only $10.

That doesn't make much sense. Notability is as good for me as one note, and with a Bluetooth keyboard, its just like taking notes on a laptop. Because of the lack of true multitasking, it seems to combine the focused nature of pen and paper note taking with the speed of laptops.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I have a serious Mac Pro for photo and video editing. I also have a 15" MacBook Pro. My wife has my old 12" Powerbook which is really starting to show its age.

We are sort of the fence with replacing the Powerbook with either a iPad 2 or a new(ish) MacBook Air. I have zero experience with the iPad other than playing with it in the Apple Store and reading the amazing amount of buyer frenzy stories.

Let me finally get to my question: how much work can you do on these iPads?

* Can we set up two email accounts on the same iPad?
* Can you go through photo albums and attach individual images to emails with real file names?
* Can you manage web browser bookmarks like OS10 browsers can?
* How bad is it not having the ability to create folders?
* Will I be able to print documents etc with my wireless network and my Xerox color laser printer?
* Can I do basic photo editing: naming files, cropping, resizing etc?
* In a pinch can you edit hi res video files from Canon DSLR cameras?
* Can I write HTML or CSS code?
* Does the iPad output 1080i via HDMI out?
* How well does the iPad handle Word documents, TextEdit, and TextMate documents?
* Is there any password and keychain functionality?

Sorry, I know this is lot of questions. But all I see is tons of chatter about buying these iPads. What do users actually do with them?

I guess this might all seem like a round and about way of asking is the iPad a tool or a toy? If you need an external keyboard and a limiting cloud service to achieve file folder structure then maybe it just makes better sense to get an 11" MacBook Air? The Air costs more but the size, weight factor is pretty close and you get a lot more real OS functionality. But, all this Ipad buying frenzy makes me wonder what I could be missing? I do want to avoid realizing that most of this was pure hype and that working with these iPads is too limiting.

Thanks to any users who provide any insight here...

To do what you're wanting to do you're better served by an 11 or 13" MacBook Air if you'll looking for small size and actually being able to get things done.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
In the field of/video/film and commercial work I use it all the time. In pre-production, production and some in post.

I am finding more and more uses for it and have no problem editing word docs,
sending/receiving files, etc.

I think most of the OP's questions you will find a yes answer too. Video editing is a bit behind, iMovie is coming along but still a ways to go.

I think if we all hear how to's rather than I did's it would help pin this down for a lot of people. As a long time professional photographer and now film maker, I don't mind being a pioneer as I was in the 90's with digital, helped to design and implement a lot of things we enjoy on modern digital cameras today.

But I had a constant feedback loop of guys in the field and the manufactures them selves.

There really does need to be a new sub forum on productivity for the iPad.

I think for now we are going to try to hang onto it as I can move images to clients with file names and that is a big one. The other thing is that I am partnered with a very well known professional camera maker at the moment in developing ground breaking new software for upcoming cameras and the device of choice for this is the iPad.

So for now the workarounds are it until Apple wakes up, which unfortunately for me means a bit more time on these devices which I avoid if at all possible, I want to spend less time on them so I can be in the real world, not this one...

brianm801

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Herriman, UT
I believe Steve Job's was correct in calling the iPad a 'Post-PC device'...

Its hard to compare an iPad to a notebook because they do different things.

My wife is a sales rep and has been using her iPad almost exclusively for the past 6 months. She does PowerPoint/Keynote presentations, updates her sales logs and emails product information (many times while she's with the client) all from her iPad. She only uses her notebook for heavy typing tasks... but even for that she's thinking of getting a Bluetooth keyboard. Her entire 'office' fits into a 16g AT&T gen1 iPad.

As a software developer there is no way i could use an iPad for most of my work. But i do use it for taking note's and doing spec reviews (Notetaker HD). I also use it to remotely access a server farm using SSH, VNC and remote desktop. For me its just a fancy toy :)

Almost everybody can use a notebook to get work done... for a tablet it depends on how you work.

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
It's a toy for the most part. Click on my other posts to see what my wife and I have gone through to actually be able to get work done on it which is not much.

It's really a shame too because between the touch screen, 3G and size factor, this would be a great new way forward for us pro users, but Apple has handicapped the OS a pathetic amount.

We have the 64GB at&t version which seems to go for over a grand on eBay right now, we are strongly considering selling it and getting a loaded 11" Air...

I could not disagree more.

If your work requires no reading, research, or client/co worker interface then you may not find it as useful... because that's what it's best suited for. But if you do a lot of reading, attend meetings, interface with others (clients/coworkers/team members/legal/etc), do presentations, read/research/review... then it is a tool that absolutely can make your workflow more efficient. And that is EXTREMELY valuable "work".

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I could not disagree more.

If your work requires no reading, research, or client/co worker interface then you may not find it as useful... because that's what it's best suited for. But if you do a lot of reading, attend meetings, interface with others (clients/coworkers/team members/legal/etc), do presentations, read/research/review... then it is a tool that absolutely can make your workflow more efficient. And that is EXTREMELY valuable "work".
I use my iPad a lot at work - mainly for paperwork tasks (quoting/invoicing/etc), emailing & as a portfolio viewer. I can see myself using it more & more as we adapt our workflow around the iPad (e.g. we are going as paperless as possible, with all documents syncing through Dropbox. Also we are moving towards a database with a web-interface for all project management & accounting tasks). I can see where people might hit a brick wall if they are trying to do the opposite i.e. make the iPad fit in with their current workflow. I don't think it is ready for content creation tasks yet (for me at least - tried all the vector apps, all are too limited in one way or another) but for speeding up paperwork/organisational tasks it is utterly brilliant.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Thanks Guys!

This is some very good information...

Having more than one email account is huge.

You can have multiple accounts in the one instance of Mail, but you can't have multiple instances of Mail.

So if you wanted to keep yours and your wife's emails completely separate - you can't really do that. But you can set two accounts up and have them appear in the same view.

Not looking for full Photoshop use here: just need to be able to crop and resize photos in a pinch.

Dpreview has just posted a good article about photography on the iPad.

I know some users use Dropbox as a way of obtaining folders for files etc.

I guess there is no FTP system?

Dropbox is great. An increasing number of apps use it as a pseudo filesystem.

Goodreader is a great app for media management. It will do ftp.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

But we are SO close on this now, the hardware is there, the battery life, the form factor, the fact we have 3G in the device instead of needing to tether or find a wifi spot.

It's just SO sad Apple has handicapped BASIC tasks with this, in my 24 years of using Mac devices professionally, it is truly the worst thing they have ever done...

This sums it up for me. The iPad has such potential but is crippled by it's software! Shame on Apple!:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.