iPad iOS needs a Serious Overhaul!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by w4rm, Aug 20, 2016.

?

Should iPad have its own OS?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No, it would create further fractionation in Apples software line up

37.2%
  1. w4rm macrumors member

w4rm

With iOS 10 it's clear that iPad takes a back seat when it comes to UI and innovation.

Most of the things on the iPad are just sized up iPhone features. Something the iPad originally wasn't created to be.

Especially with the iOS 10 iPad Pro some of UI elements are ridiculous.

Notifications taking up the whole screen. Needing to scroll to see everything etc.

Do you think a more dedicated OS for iPad would help?

It's seems that the team dedicated to iPad UI is not doing there job properly.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It seems like there is no team for iPad UI at all!

Still, I don't think iPad needs its own OS. Just a few iPad specific UI will do.

3. w4rm thread starter macrumors member

w4rm

Right!

I think a commitment from Apple would be a start.

Saying hey we're growing our iPad iOS team. And making commitment to innovating the OS experience for the tablet.

Right now the iPad is super clunky and it's frustrating to see that things won't change for another year until iOS 11. As iOS 10 looks right now we know what we can expect up until WWDC 2017. Which is a subpar experience.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There's been rumor/speculation that there could be a10.x release in the Spring that is geared toward iPads. We can only hope.

5. bensisko macrumors 65816

I don't think those "rumors" are based on anything more than wishful thinking.

Personally, I would NOT like to see a separate OS for the iPad - that would be a disaster for Apple (they already have five OSes - CarOS, tvOS, iOS, watchOS, and macOS).

So... Microsoft has a good idea (as far as Continuum), they just suck at it's implementation. Right now, Microsoft has one OS that spans across Mobile, Tablet, Laptop, and Desktop. The idea is solid, the problem is that Microsoft doesn't realize that people have different interactions with their machines and the UI needs to be different.

I don't (necessarily) have an issue with a (slightly) different UI for iPad, but it should be similar enough that it doesn't make it overly difficult for developers to create a universal app that functions across iOS. I would rather have the OS and UI continue as it is now and have developers still create universal apps than for Apple to create a custom UI for iPad and have developers only create iPhone apps because Apple has made it too difficult to create a universal app (due to UI differences).

6. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

I've long maintained that Apple needs to enhance the iPad-specific features. It's borderline criminal that ios10 really doesn't deliver anything new...and particularly so since the Pro line came out nearly a year ago.

We still don't have vertical split windows, along with a host of other tweaks...some of which are simple things Apple could do.

It's frustrating.

7. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

If any thing Apple is making Mac OS more like iOS.

Just look at some of the new OS out there now.

8. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

There are Actually 2 iOS Teams Team A focuses on iPhone and Point releases iOS 7 then 8 then 9 then 10 etc.

Team B focuses on .x releases and iOS feature like Split Screen and Apple Pencil etc.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed. But come on, they could have at least fixed the selection method for the second spit screen app. One long scrolling list of icons just doesn't cut it. And as another poster mentioned, vertical split screen, please!

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

People have been saying from the start that the iPad is essentially a big iPod Touch/iPhone without the phone...

While many of the apps are tablet optimized and there are a few UI enhancement, like splitscreen multitasking, that mentality is not entirely untrue.

11. bensisko macrumors 65816

I can understand "frustration" but "borderline criminal"?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2016 ---
    Personally, i don't have an issue with with the split screen app selection process, but I'm not a power user for this feature.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you don't have an issue with it, you might not have that many split screen apps installed. It's not like I use split screen that often, but I have at least 20 apps in the split screen selection list. And it never stays in order, so I never know where the app I want is on the list. I want to "pin" the apps I use most often in split screen at the top or bottom of the list, and be able to hide the ones I rarely use in split screen. I also think there could be two columns of app icons in the split screen app picker. And I also want an easy way of swapping the left and right split screen windows. I think if these features were implemented, I might use split screen more. As it is, I often just switch apps because doing so is faster than invoking split screen.

13. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

That might have been my frustration leaking thru...but I think you get my drift.

Night Spring's post above mine sums it up perfectly...split window as it is now, is very primitive. Apple really rushed it out the door.

Having the order change each time says it all.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's wrong with the iPad's iOS implementation?

I don't use my iPad much anymore so I don't know why it needs to be revamped?

I do know that iOS 10 is reportedly a major update for apple, but in this thread, it appears those changes appear to be more iPhone specific. (I don't have that beta installed, so I have no real world experience with iOS 10).

15. bensisko, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

bensisko macrumors 65816

iOS 10 is a point release. Aside from the Siri stuff, there's a lot of fluff in iOS 10. Even WITH the Siri stuff, there's nothing in the new OS I'm looking forward to (and some things I consider regression - like the font choices).

Personally, I'm not frustrated in the least with iOS 10, but I'm not excited either. It's really a 'meh' update - one that I may not not even install on day one.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2016 ---
    I really only use Split Screen (most often) in these combos:
    • OneNote and Safari (because meetings are boring)
    • Sketchbook (or Adobe Sketch) and Photos (or Safari)
    • Messages and _________ (though sometimes this is just Slide Over)
    I do have a TON of apps to scroll through, but the scrolling is fast so it just never bothered me. I'm also not married to it, so if they change it and it's still quick and easy... Meh.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I won't disagree with you that its a point release in my opinion, but apple at WWDC said it was their biggest update, so from their perspective its a major release. I don't want argue over point releases vs. major upgrade, because I do agree with you. What apple gave is not something I consider a major upgrade.

On the iPad specific stuff, the OP directed the topic to iPad centric, and I'm curious to know what's lacking for that form factor (Aside from lack of excitement).

17. RedOrchestra Suspended

iMessage is the MAIN focus of the update.

18. maflynn, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, that's right, I forgot about that. All those "stickers" and other animations. I love iMessage, its a great way for me to keep in touch with friends and family, but those added features are not what I consider, needed updates.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For myself I want to be able to use full keyboard in zoom mode (currently, switching to zoom mode just gives you the regular keyboard with number keys in a separate layout), improvements in iCloud Drive (manipulate multiple files at once, add and rename folders, copy/move entire folders at once, share entire folders with other apps, etc), as well as improvements to split screen I posted earlier.

I like the look of the new notification and control centers, but people have complained that they don't take full advantage of iPad screen space. That doesn't bother me much, but other people have pointed it out as a sign that Apple isn't paying full attention to iPad.

I do think the new Swift Playground app, which is iPad only, is a promising sign, but I haven't played with it much yet, because I only installed the beta on my Air2, and the app needs a larger screen. Looking forward to playing with it when iOS 10 officially comes out and I install it on my 12.9 Pro.

20. warden macrumors member

Apple actually has four OSs: macOS, watchOS, tvOS, and iOS.

21. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Honestly, the new "cards" UI in iOS 10 for Control Center is ridiculous on the iPad.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think it looks cleaner, but they could certainly put everything in one panel!

23. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yeah, I wish they stacked vertically on the iPad. There's so much wasted space on it.

24. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

All because they coded for the iPhone only.

They made no effort to do more...that's what we're left with.

25. thekeyring macrumors 68040

It's odd, I feel that since iOS 7 the iPad team was got rid of.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2016 ---
    It matters for Microsoft and Google to have one OS so hardware makers can have one OS to load onto all their products. Apple doesn't have this issue, they can use custom code on all their devices.