iPad is just a toy, thinking about selling it~

Discussion in 'iPad' started by montblanc1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

I am not referring that Ipad is a sucking product, I am just saying ipad may not be a proper product for me...

I bought my 16GB wifi version ipad on August, until now, I use ipad mainly for web browsing, and sometimes I play plants vs zombies, but except for these, it's nothing useful. I rarely read newspapers since I am in college now, and all the paper newspapers is free to students; Nor do I use it for email, because I have iphone, which can push email to the mobile device on time; I don't use it to play games except for "PvZ", which can be played on my MBP and iphone, too. Ipad is not that light, it's still a little inconvenient for carrying everywhere, and you have to grab the Ipad case if you want to protect it from rubbing...In addition, ipad can not play flash, and office and iwork on ipad really sucks, nobody use ipad for office work, write? And virtual keyboard is definitely slower than physical keyboard!

So, is my opinion make any sense? I think new macbook air is way better than ipad in anything...

2. nexsta macrumors 6502

Your opinion just have to make sense for you. I would love to have an iPad just for couch/bed surfing and e-book reading, I think it's way more comfortable than a macbook and way cheaper, but everyone have different needs...

3. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I'm guessing that you're not an English major.

As for the iPad being a toy, I have found it indispensable for University and wish it had been available when I first started my degree. It allows me to carry my mandatory readings with me at all times, while the 3G connection allows me to access journal databases even when outside of WiFi coverage - I'm majoring in Psychology and minoring in politics, so I need to do a lot of reading of journals, websites, as well as books etc. that have been provided by my lecturers as PDFs. To each their own I guess.

Edit: Oh, and I wrote two lab reports and a 2,500 word essay on the iPad. Just proves that some do and can use it for production, contrary to many opinions.

4. jimHdk macrumors regular

5. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

He didn't say that it was a piece of junk, he said that it wasn't for him.

To the OP:

I'm willing to pay $300 for your toy. :)

It wouldn't be anything of much value to me either, but my sister likes these sorts of things and there are a few children in the family.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

What's with the inflammatory title? (Probably should've used the second line instead...)

Anyway, I'd recommend you sell the iPad and get an MBA instead because it sounds like a lot of your complaints are of the "I don't like how it works" variety.

I don't see how it being inconvenient to carry is a ding against the iPad though, as you'd still carry the MBA around as well. The worst I could say is that iPad is not for you ... and it doesn't have to be.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) your title is trollish
    2) your grammar is atrocious

Why can't people who feel the iPad is not for them just quietly sell it and get what they really need? Those of us who bought the iPad as the appropriate tool for the job and like it don't want to hear about your poor consumer decision.

9. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Well done, you bought a product that was unsuitable for your needs. Do more research next time rather than moaning to this forum. Oh, and as a previous poster suggested get back to your classes and learn English.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I am the opposite the iPad has freed me of needing to carry a notebook constantly, and I am finding more and more ways to for the device to help me day to day.

Initially I thought the iPad was too limited, in reality is's all down to software, as tempting the new Macbook Air's are they are still simply Notebook's the iPad offers a totally different user experience with greater possibilities, and with the next release of firmware bringing the iPad further in to the "enterprise" the possibilities will become far closer to reality.

Roll on 2G iPad with 128Gb or better still dual core CPU with 256Gb, personally I am buying into it, as I want the technology to develop, Apple's description of the iPad may sound melodramatic today, five to ten years it may well be the norm...

Q-6

11. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Err... that one is not going to happen soon for two reasons: battery life and overheating. And you don't really need that kind of power for a tablet, IMO.
    Apple will stick the A-something CPU's and improve them performance-wise.

12. numbertwelve macrumors newbie

I don't understand why there are so many posts on here from people who buy the iPad then realise it's not the device for them. :confused:

The launch of the iPad probably gave rise to the most media attention any product has received for many, many years. Pages upon pages were written about the uses of the iPad, its limitations, and giving advice on whether or not it was the device for certain purposes.

Before I bought mine I had a play with it, I did my research and I worked out exactly what I was going to use it for. Before I forked out my cash, I thought long and hard about what my expectations were and whether they would be met.

I bought it, and I have absolutely zero regrets. I understand how people's circumstances change and something like the iPad (which IS a luxury good) might become less important to them. But I don't understand how one can go from spending all that money on purchasing one to thinking "it's just a toy" and moaning (the one that gets me is 'it doesn't have flash': - we knew it didn't have flash almost immediately after Jobs announced it) and wanting to get rid. It just seems far too extreme for someone who did their proper research and knew what they wanted to get out of it.

Just my two'penneth.

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Well, "this toy" already paid itself with all the work I was able to do with it.

The iPad is what you want it to be. I also have a MBP and still find the iPad very useful. My MBP stays home most of the time, as I can do most of my work on the iPad.

And the soft keyboard is as fast as a real keyboard. If you try, you can type fast too.

14. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Technically, most electronics are toys. Even a work PC is a toy. PC's make great gaming machines. Get a Linux server and install some mission critical application on it or a Windows server running Exchange or SQL Server.

15. foiden macrumors 6502a

It's just a toy for certain people. There are work-related things you can do with the iPad as well.

Heck, one of my actual reasons influencing my iPad purchase was so that I can convert sheets of music to digital books or PDFs so I can use this device as an error-proof music sheet reader for real paying gigs. It's the perfect size and weight for a music stand, and I could never go back to the old way of having to manage several sheets of music on one little stand. Page turning is horrible with actual sheets, and you have to manage them when they all don't fit on the stand. You can easily get messed up page turning, have to fish for sheets, and lose your place in the music. With iPad, a simple flip of your finger turns pages perfectly, and no issues of losing your place in the music.

I've also used some of the instrument simulators, on this thing, in actual music tracks. I've also used it to work with documents and spreadsheets, sharing them via iWork's free web service. You can also use the iPad to do real DJ work, oddly enough. There are educational products on it and they'll keep getting better if you want to, for example, learn a new language, the universe, keep up with the news with advanced news-reading clients.

So it's really a matter of what you want to use it for. Anybody can call any computing machine a toy if the device doesn't meet your specific business needs. So yeah, you're probably looking more for a laptop.

16. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Even SQL Server can be a toy if that's what you enjoy doing. Personally I think of it as a ball and chain as I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to resolve a query problem!

The iPad isn't essential for me but I do find that a lot of my casual computer work is now done on it.

17. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Meh.

I felt the same thing about the slightly used CERN Particle Accelerator I picked up on eBay. It's just a toy, I'm thinking about selling it.

I mean, I only use the CERN Particle Accelerator to make loud humming noises, but sometimes I use it to make sparks and shiny colors. Once, I made Jiffy Pop popcorn with it, that was the most useful thing I did with it.

So, yeah, just a toy. Not really worth it. I'm sending mine back.

On the other hand, my iPad is one of the most productive tools I've ever owned. Basically it enabled me to do work in a ton of places that a laptop was too awkward to balance, or too big to think to bring. The Apps on the iPad give me a better, more usable interface to a lot of what's on the internet. Although folks say it's for content consumption only, I use mine to alter contracts, write up proposals on the spot, record projects, expenses, make mockup designs, etc...

Sorry for the bit of humor. Montblanc1 makes some reasonable points, but the thread title is perhaps a bit extreme. :rolleyes: LOL I had to have some fun.

The iPad's not for everyone. But for some, it makes a huge impact. It all depends on where, when, and how you want to have computing capabilities.

18. T4R06 macrumors 65816

i agree with OP mine is more a toy lol.
    everyday my 19month old baby really amazes me. im running iOS 4.2 beta 3 and all the icons are in folders but she managed to find the video to watch her stuff. nick jr, elmo, dora etc. so i think even though my ipad now is more of a toy i will not going to sell it.

19. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

My iPad is great. Before I purchased it, I researched its capabilities and uses. They were to my liking. Now, after a few months, it's an even more useful and enjoyable device.

Unfortunately, many don't do their research and once they receive it, are disappointed. Probably, the same reaction will come from the mba crowd (I would love one, but it's not in the budget). Similar to the ipad, there is a lot of hype. Apple's designs are very eye-catching and many really have to have the new thing. Without doing thorough research, many will find that it just doesn't work the way they had hoped. Consequently, they lament on the forums about their regrets on buying it.

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

+1 I didn't realize how much I didn't do on my laptop until I was freed from clawing it open, waiting for it to boot, carrying the power brick and desperately looking for an outlet, etc etc. For me it was not only a question of what it can do, but a question of would I take it with me, and 99% of the time that answer was no for my laptop, but I'd say 75% of the time it's a resounding yes with the ipad.

21. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

The MBA is $500 more expensive so of course its going to do more and serve more purposes. It would be a shame if something that costs almost double didn't do alot more.

22. JulianL macrumors 65816

It's really a matter of expectations. I bought mine for exactly the uses mentioned above, having previously had a laptop next to my couch that was ugly, heavy, cumbersome and had a trailing power lead because the battery wasn't up to a whole evening of surfing. My iPad meets my couch surfing and e-book reading requirements perfectly and anything else that I find that I can do with it (such as mounting my network file shares and accessing Word, Excel and PDF documents from my NAS or my main PC) is all upside to me.

And to those few people who felt compelled to resort to criticising the OP's grammar, did it ever occur to any of you that he/she might not be a native english speaker? My wild guess, based on the user name, would be French, Italian or Swiss. I always find it rather sad when a foreign language speaker makes the effort of making a perfectly understandable post in English and is then criticised because it isn't gramatically perfect.

- Julian

23. wgary macrumors member

I bougt a new Ferrari. It is just a toy. I'm thinking about selling it.

(ps -- this happened in an alternate time-space continuum)

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Maybe so, however the upshot is that the iPad will become more powerful, and the upcoming release of ios 4.2 with compatiblity with "exchange" will open up many avenues with corporate business. This being the case I am certain Apple will respond with faster devices with longer battery life.

Personaly I was looking at a Macbook Air and patently waited for the update, now it's here and the iPad is fulfilling the need. I will wait on "Lion" and then decide as my aging MacBook Pro is starting to show it's age. Apple release's a faster, larger capacity iPad I will be one of the first in line, my 64Gb 3G paid for it's self and then some in the first day, I can only see things getting better...

Q-6

25. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

+1