ipad kinda big and heavy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Acorn, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I know im about a year and a half to late with his comment but i just got the ipad now so its new to me. its a whole lot heavier then I expected. I used to hear people complain about the weight and think i guess they dont read IT books because they are twice the size and about 4x as heavy. I was kinda wrong though it gets tiring holding it after awhile.

I used to be dead against a 7 - 8.9 inch device but after holding the ipad it is indeed a bit large. it doesnt seem that large in the ads though. However my opinion has changed and a slightly smaller ipad may not be such a bad thing. i dont think it will hurt the 5 inch screens of the ipod touch. it could be called an ipad mini or something.

off so play with my ipad some more. still cant figure out how to create folders...

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You need the latest 4.2.1 iOS for folders
    Just drag an app on top of another one and hold it there

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

thanks macdawg. i think it came with the newest software since i just got it today. i didnt want to wait the entire winter to get the ipad 2. eventually ill upgrade just not anytime soon. i saw a few setups that had the folders named office with pages numbers ect in it. seemed like a good idea to group stuff.

4. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I think the right cover helps quite a bit. While it does make it heavier, it makes it feel less awkward (to me). My niece and mom can handle it, so I don't think it is the weight, I think it is the way the back is shaped.

5. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

1- A smaller iPad would be overkill, sometimes the consumer has to settle. Apple knows that having 12 iPad versions would be a disaster, also Steve Jobs is the CEO and he said no to smaller screens in an email. If you want a light smaller device you are going to have to go to another tablet with cheaper build quality, a worse interface, and less apps.

2- I tried this the past two nights while reading before I go to sleep, a book will put nearly the same amount of strain on your arms. No matter how strong you are or how much the device weighs it will feel weird after a little bit. I normally just lock the rotation(with the damn software instead of the old hardware switch) and hold it on it side against the bed, or set it on my chest.

3-Everything gets better, it will for sure be lighter in a few months and until then enjoy the iPad the way it is. There are going to be plenty of improvements in the future and hopefully like me you are going to get it, sell the one or give it to a family member/friend and pick up the iPad2.

PS-iPod is not 5", it's 3.5"

AppleTech22
    :apple:Steve Saved The Industry

6. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

My advice, Join a gym :cool:

I love my iPad, and seriously it's just not heavy

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

The iPad isn't heavy. It's all dependent on how you hold it. If I were to hold the iPad with one hand at the very edge - my hand will be tired within 2-3 minutes. Hence, the device has a 1 inch border which allows one to hold it with 2 hands for easy reading - like you would hold a book.
    Regarding the size, I doubt I will be able to read my PDF's and books as well take my notes on a 7 inch. Browsing and whatever feels right on 9.7 inches as it represents a size similar to actual paper. My 2 cents.

8. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I have a 4.3" android phone (Droid X), played with a Galaxy Tab and neither is sufficient for surfing the internet or reading books. There just isn't enough real estate. 9" might be okay, but 10" really is about the right size. Weight is a little heavy as I would rather it around 1 lb, but then you pretty much have to give up the battery life (might be able to save some weight going totally plastic but then it would feel like a cheap toy).

9. monaarts macrumors 65816

Your also nearly a year early with that comment. :D :D :D

- Joe

10. Cibbersicks macrumors member

Cibbersicks

I really don't think the iPad is too heavy at all... 4 months ago I had a bad motorcycle accident, breaking my left arm in 4 places including my wrist, also smashing my right hand into a bloody mess, I'm all healed up now but have got strength and dexterity issues, and I really don't have a problem holding it at any angle at all.
    Enjoy your iPad :)

11. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I was holding an IPad above my head one night laying in bed and my cat knocked it out of my hands. It landed on my face, yea its heavy :p.

12. bbydon macrumors 6502a

Its heavy but i've gotten used to it. I do hope they can get them lighter in the future. Just a little goes along way.

A case makes a world of difference in holding it as well.

13. contacted macrumors newbie

:eek: speedy recovery dude.

It's all a matter of getting used to it.

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I don't understand the concept of holding it. I am laying down, the iPad is laying down in front of me, just like a book would be. When I am sitting, the iPad is on the desk or the arm of the couch, my leg, ect... This is not the first post on this subject, I still haven't figured out what in the hell are yall are doing. Are you trying to hold it while standing and riding on a crowded subway train or what ? Please explain, cause I very rarely hold it, so I never find it heavy. I am afraid I am using it incorrectly, and I would like the full iPad experience.

15. jeffkempster macrumors member

You know just last night I was helping my son install Aperture on his 13 macbook pro and I thought the same thing. Damn this thing is heavy, but I was talking about the macbook pro. I am so used to carrying around an iPad, now laptops are massive.

I think I need to hit the gym. :rolleyes:

16. abooch1 macrumors regular

I'm hoping for iPad 2 to be a bit lighter.. and it should be.. hopefully..

17. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I think the iPad's size is just great. Its the perfect size, and Apple must have made a lot of research to end up with that size.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are girls who holds an iPad with 1 hand.

Someone needs to exercise.

19. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Love my iPad but it is a little too heavy for my tastes. Reading ebooks, news, accel apps can get a little tiresome. I've encountered many casual iPad users who agree. Rumors have it that one of the goals for the next iteration is a lighter weight so I suppose Apple also has acknowledged this and agrees.

Also, Jobs is known to flip flop - only a fool would take it @ face value. The fact of the matter is, if the market is there they will go for it (case in point: Verizon, tmo, etc).

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

WTH ???

iPad " big and heavy " !!!!

Whatever you do, if you think an iPad is big and heavy DO NOT .... I repeat DO NOT ..... pick up a 13" Macbook Pro.

You will pull your back out, and give yourself a hernia!!!!

Oh yeah, and do not buy the Double Big Gulp at 7-11, it weighs more then an iPad as well !!!
    :rolleyes:

21. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Grip it with your hand, and have your iPad rest on your pinkey. It's not heavy if you hold it in an ergonomic way...

22. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I guess the nano was too heavy so they made it smaller, same for the shuffle, the new macs, etc.. Making something lighter is a common update. It does not mean that the 1st gen shuffle was too heavy.

Of course, the iPad will be released in a lighter weight. Personally, I would not want a 7 inch screen. It is just too close to the size of the iPhone. The current screen size screen is perfect (for me), but if they made it lighter, it would not deter me from buying one. On the other hand, if the only update was the fact that the new version was not as heavy, I doubt very many people would be throwing out their old iPads for the new one.

23. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I never really hold it either. It's always resting up against something. If I'm laying on my back reading, I put a little pillow on my chest with the bottom edge of the iPad propped up on it so I just have one hand on the top edge to keep it at a good angle. Then I have one hand completely free to turn pages or whatever. It works perfectly.

24. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I wish it was a little larger. I am a big android fan but after finally playing with a Galaxy Tab, I think it is too small.

I don't have any problems carrying it around or holding the iPad with one hand. I will agree it rests on my legs a lot, though.

25. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Sorry to hear that. There is a local help group here that meets four nights a week (My neighbor goes). Check your yellow pages for one. :)