iPad Lifecycle Mirrors Macs and Maybe Even TVs Rather Than iPhones

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
soundcloud.com
I haven't seriously considered upgrading my iPad 2 yet, I expect it will miss out on iOS 8 so I'll probably make it last until the next upgrades.

I've managed to get good use out of my Apple stuff over the years. Even though my Mac mini, retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5 are recent models I'm still regularly using a 2006 MBP, a 2007 iPod classic, a 2004 iPod photo and 2004 iPod mini.

I had a bit of a scare this morning when the iPod classic wouldn't power up but thankfully I've managed to coax it back to life. :D

----------

iPad 2 here going on 3.5 years. Almost 4. Next cycle I will upgrade though. Still a solid device for $420 that lasted me 4 years.
It was only released 3 years ago. :confused:

ctyrider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
The contract is a sunk cost, you are paying it no matter what phone you get.
Why do you assume everyone has contracts? My family uses low-cost $30/month MVNO plan, which is contract free. We pay full price for our iPhones, because that's still ends up being cheaper than paying AT&T/Verizon $80 per month.

Over it's life it certainly is, but not when purchased. With the scarcity of BYOD plans in the US, the unsubsidized cost is near irrelevant.
There is no scarcity of BYOD plans. There are about a dozen of MVNOs in the US, which will readily sell you a low-cost plan compatible with your iPhone. Tier-1 carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Spring, T-Mo) all offer BYOD / contract free plans as well.

kemal

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Visit site
Looks like Apple will have to specify a weaker battery to make you upgrade every two years. They sure aren't making the iPads obsolete by innovation.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
There will be a few things that can drive upgrades...for a computer it's usually games and video cards/chipset.

So for the iPad, they really need to bring out some new features, whether it's a better touchscreen that can work like a Cintiq screen with high sensitivity/pressure points or touch id or other features.

The other thing is pushing the graphics envelope and really making it into a gaming tablet. Games is what drives PC sales.

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
Apple has enforced it's planned obsolescence to the cracking point of the public's goodwill. It's interesting that Steve Jobs stated that he didn't want to build TVs because the margins suck and there isn't enough "turnover." Apple's methods of forcing "turnover" have rubbed me the wrong way on more than one occasion. They can't take it much further before people (or at least I) decide that Apple just isn't worth it any more.

On that note, my iPad 2 is still running strong having faced frequent use by toddlers for years.
iOS 7.1 runs on my iPad 2 better than iOS 7.
Maverick runs on my 2011 MacBook Air better than Mountain Lion.

I really want iPad Air but i simply can't find any reason to part with my iPad 2.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Those are terrible graphs. If I ever displayed a graph like that at work I'd be walked out of the conference room. Anything that takes more than 3 seconds to decipher and takes away from the data at hand is useless.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I replace my phone every 2 years. I have an iPad 2 that I have no desire to replace. It does it's job just fine.
why do you replace your iPhone every 2 years? spec & performance wise the iPad 2 is on par with the iPhone 4s, yet you would have replaced the iPhone 4s already and not the iPad?

unless it's strictly a contract thing, this makes no sense. particularly because an iPhone is more expensive than an iPad.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
Anyone who doesn't upgrade each time a new iPad comes out is a disloyal customer. Plain and simple.
Totally agree with this. If we want to encourage Apple to continue driving innovation forward, we have to purchase the latest and greatest devices.

Also Apple can help though by killing software support for older devices much more quickly. 18 months of software updates should be the absolute limit and will stimulate incredible growth in upgrades.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Those are terrible graphs. If I ever displayed a graph like that at work I'd be walked out of the conference room. Anything that takes more than 3 seconds to decipher and takes away from the data at hand is useless.
totally agree. i can't look at this graph and quickly tell you the percentage of people who replace their iPhone in 1-2 days. at a glance, i'd say it's about 81%, but that would be way off. with a little more time i'd realize that that stat doesn't start at zero, and requires estimating at both the high and low end. roughly 81% - 37%. so... 44%... I'm already doing math, why not just show me the raw numbers???

or show the data the correct way and make a pie chart.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For me, an iPad does last longer than a phone, but I doubt it will hit year 6 like my current MacBook...

A TV? Those are 10 years, no way my iPad 2 will still be good to go in 2022.
I agree. I don't see most people replacing Tvs every 2-4 years.

----------

Totally agree with this. If we want to encourage Apple to continue driving innovation forward, we have to purchase the latest and greatest devices.

Also Apple can help though by killing software support for older devices much more quickly. 18 months of software updates should be the absolute limit and will stimulate incredible growth in upgrades.
totally agree. i can't look at this graph and quickly tell you the percentage of people who replace their iPhone in 1-2 days. at a glance, i'd say it's about 81%, but that would be way off. with a little more time i'd realize that that stat doesn't start at zero, and requires estimating at both the high and low end. roughly 81% - 37%. so... 44%... I'm already doing math, why not just show me the raw numbers???

or show the data the correct way and make a pie chart.
agreed...terrible charts

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Give me a compelling reason to upgrade

I mean I have an iPad 2 and while the new Air is attractive on spec's, largely their is no real difference in running content on the Air vs 2.

What I mean is that in spite of all the extra pixels, Apple sizes UI to match the iPad 2 UI, so there is no real benefit to Retina except for photo or video or other select apps, I mean Angry or Flappy Birds isn't going to be more amazing on a Retina display. Also while the new Air might be a more powerful iPad, largely most App store content runs the same on any model, i.e., you can't Tweet any faster on iPad Air then any other iPad. Come out with an iPad that can mine Bitcoins efficiently, I might be convinced to upgrade.

I still get the urge to upgrade whenever a new iPad model comes out but then I give it a month and common sense sets in. I think Apple will have to get used to a more savvy consumer base that doesn't stand in line every 6 months to toss out something "old" and buy something new just because they perceive it as being better.

That is the price you pay when you convert PC users, these consumers are used to waiting 5+ years before updating a device or OS. Apple might have to settle into getting used to lower margins and slower turnaround on iDevices as they dig into a more dominant market position, this is completely new territory for them for sure.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
In the US this makes sense only because most phones are purchased through a contract that makes the phone to appear relatively cheap. I wonder if this plays out any different in other countries where they buy the phone at full price? My guess is that if I had to pay close to $700USD for my 5s, I would not replace it every year or two, but would use it a lot longer.

I have an iPad 3 (the new iPad) and have been wanting to upgrade to the air. But decided to wait one more generation because of the price and because I am hoping to get the touchID. If the price was not a factor, I am almost certain I would have had the iPad air on day 1.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Duh. They could have paid me to figure that out.

iPads are mostly for consuming and until my #3 slows to a crawl it will not be replaced.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
soundcloud.com
Anyone who doesn't upgrade each time a new iPad comes out is a disloyal customer. Plain and simple.
Disloyal? I'm a just customer, I buy what I want and when I want it.

In my opinion that would more likely drive disgruntled customers away from buying Apple products again and destroy the environmental credentials that Apple has worked so hard to achieve.

But what do I know, I'm only a disloyal customer? :p

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
Where I live, it is cheaper to buy ipad than iphone... how does that cope with your math?:)
Not all regions are the same, and I specifically said case study that could be an indicator (correllation)

your results may vary. I am only using case studies as an example and possible explaination of why...

Science based reasoning. I am not apposed to other points of view.

But it is not only the dollar ammount that plays into the analysis. Many phones in many regions are subsidized, iPads are not. What we see is that the trend of upgrading iPads is more similar to that of iPhones. The question is why? I speculate that because the difference in versions of iPad to iPad are less significant than the phone market has progressed and the general PC market itself doesn't upgrade as quickly because of the relative cost to the seemingly less change between versions.

The iPhone on the other hand has seen considerable change between versions, with exceptional new features being constantly included in each. the iPhone 4 generation is markably different than that of the 5. Add in that many carriers offer subsidies with 2 year plans, you have further financial incentive plus technological incentive that many do not have with the iPad line.

SImilar to the computer industry. Today most people don't and wont see a real difference between a Sandy Bridge macbook air and a haswell based macbook air in performance. So to convince you to upgrade, They would need some distinctive reasoning to convince users to upgrade. It's slower in the established products like computers than the extremely quick pace of phones.

of Course, this is all my opinion and speculation on observation and collection of data from all these different sources, I could be wrong. Would love to hear what else i can use to refine, form or even change my analysis.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I haven't seriously considered upgrading my iPad 2 yet, I expect it will miss out on iOS 8 so I'll probably make it last until the next upgrades.

I've managed to get good use out of my Apple stuff over the years. Even though my Mac mini, retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5 are recent models I'm still regularly using a 2006 MBP, a 2007 iPod classic, a 2004 iPod photo and 2004 iPod mini.

I had a bit of a scare this morning when the iPod classic wouldn't power up but thankfully I've managed to coax it back to life. :D

----------

It was only released 3 years ago. :confused:
Yeah! I know it feels like forever. I remember getting it a week or two after launch. Was released March 2011.

EDIT: whoops. Misread that. Then I would've owned it for 3 years. Not 3.5. Good catch :p

danr_97070

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Earth
If they want to generate some sales...

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif]Image[/url]

A new report by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) suggests iPad owners replace their tablets less frequently than their iPhone-owning counterparts, who upgrade almost every two years. The longer iPad replacement cycle may be more like the Mac, which tends to be replaced every 2-4 years, or possibly even televisions which have a five to 10-year ownership span. (Via Fortune)

The CIRP report, which surveyed 2,000 U.S. customers who purchased an iPhone, iPad or Mac in 2013, shows that almost half of iPad owners will go without their tablet, waiting a week or more to replace a broken, lost or stolen device. They also are twice as likely as iPhone owners to give their older iPad to friends or family members. This replacement rate could affect future sales, driving them down as the tablet market becomes saturated. In this scenario, consumers would hold onto an iPad for a longer period of time, and future first-time iPad owners would be more likely to receive an older iPad than buy a new one.

Even as competition increases and the tablet market slows, Apple still is the top tablet vendor worldwide with 36 percent market share, according to Gartner's March 2014 report. The Cupertino company sold a record 26 million iPads in Q1 2014 and 195 million tablets overall.

Article Link: iPad Lifecycle Mirrors Macs and Maybe Even TVs Rather Than iPhones
If they want to generate some sales, how about releasing a new Mac Mini?

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
My wife just stay with iOS 6. She thinks iOS 7 is EXTREMELY ugly.
unfortunately was too late for that. When iOS7 came out, her tablet forced the download on her. She saw the poppup and clicked "yes" thinking it was just another standard update. She's not techie. a computer to her is some fancy magic. the CPU is the giant black box that she presses power on.

unfortunately, she's not overall pleased. One of the biggest problems she says is that the kids have a harder time with it, Often getting frustrated that it does things that aren't entirely intuitive compared to previous versions. I have caught the 2 year old on occasion getting so frustrated now that she starts to try and throw it... My sister has stopped letting her use it entirely.

From my perspective, I am impartial. but, I'm a techie and have used dozens of operating systems on hundreds of devices in my life, so to me, iOS7 is just another iteration of another OS and the gentle nuances gets lost on me, since I by default understand the concepts of UI.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Apple has enforced it's planned obsolescence to the cracking point of the public's goodwill.
What "planned obsolescence"? If you don't want to give up an old iPad or iPhone, just continue using it. If you need a new battery, Apple will put a new battery in your iPhone or iPad. If the device breaks completely when out of warranty, Apple will replace it with a refurbished device for a very cheap price. That actually applies to _all_ iPhones. Now if your original iPhone (the one that didn't have a number) breaks, you might be better off with a new one or with a newer one from eBay, but Apple _will_ replace it.

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
This shouldn't be surprising considering the history of subsidies on phones. I still have my 1st-gen iPad and it works fine. I only replaced my 1st-gen Nexus 7 because I accidentally broke it finally.

Now that AT&T has out-of-contract pricing, I don't see myself replacing phones unless absolutely necessary. And considering the "no-contract" price on smart phones, $649 for a 5s? $549 for a 5c? $450 for a 4s? I'll take a Nexus phone for $349 all day, every day.