iPad mini 2/ Air Slide Over

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by ashindnile, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ashindnile macrumors 6502

From what I've read, the original Air users get absolutely nothing, but it appeared to be from users who tried to access Slide Over the iOS 9/10 way. Is this feature available at all, and is any form of drag and drop supported?
    Is the dock accessible like in the newer devices?
    Can you hold a dock icon to access recent files?
    Apologies for so many questions, but I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Thank You :)

2. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

ipad mini never received any of the previous iOS ipad multitasking/split screen features either. not enough RAM.

3. ashindnile thread starter macrumors 6502

It got Slide Over. Hence the questions.

4. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

He's talking about the Mini 2, not the 1st gen Mini. The Mini 2 (and 3) did receive slide over, but not the full split screen multitasking. Will be interesting to see what features from iOS 11 make it to these older devices. I imagine it will be fairly limited.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yep, slide over is still there, but you access it by dragging an app icon out of the dock. So it's not really 'sliding over' anything. Drag and drop also works, but obviously it's not as easy as having both apps in split screen.

Can't figure out how to access recent files from the Files app in the Dock though. Would seem an odd feature to omit, but any form of holding on the icon doesn't do anything until they start wiggling and go into delete/move mode.

6. ashindnile thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much! Maybe try flicking up on an icon?
    Also, does that mean you can now use two apps simultaneously?(even though one is obstructed by another)

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Unfortunately you're still limited to just the one app, so either the main app or the one you're using in slide over.

Still can't seem to access recent files from the dock!

8. ashindnile thread starter macrumors 6502

What happens when you try to use the other app? Does this one disappear?

9. ashindnile thread starter macrumors 6502

@cambookpro just a follow up. After moving files around using drag drop from photos to files, I was able to access recents on the files app by long hold. iOS 11 is great!

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Maybe it's just a bug, still can't get it working on mine. Oh well! Maybe will be better in later betas.